It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.1 EQ New Zealand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
NZ getting some shakers lately. Anyone reporting from there?

No Tsunami warning as of yet. Off the coast at 18 km deep.

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...
18 minutes ago
Magnitude: 6.1
DateTime: Thursday January 19 2012, 06:48:48 UTC
Region: off the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand
Depth: 18.1 km
Source: USGS Feed

edit on 19-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Widely felt at the bottom of the South Island, I'm in Canterbury nr Christchurch and not felt here. We do get some biggies down there.. i.e. the 7.8 in Dusky Sound.

Hopefully it's just a normal one for that way.. and not a foreshock!

Felt report map here: www.geonet.org.nz...

National drums here: www.geonet.org.nz...

Historical seismisity: neic.usgs.gov...

Doubt there will a tsunami problem as strike/slip and not subduction.. locally reported as a 5.8.
edit on 19-1-2012 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I wasn't expecting it to have it's own thread, but everyone over in Quake Watch 2012 seems to be away.
2nd

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
I wasn't expecting it to have it's own thread, but everyone over in Quake Watch 2012 seems to be away.
2nd

My bad...

Forgot about that thread.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
i dont think nz is even on a fault line how are they getting so many quakes recently ?????

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
LOL.. we have the Alpine Fault (capable of a mag 8+) running through our South Island and we have the Hikurangi Trench running just east of the North Island.. we aren't called the Shakey Isles for nothing!! We have around 30,000 shakes each year

Apart from those two big plate boundaries I mentioned above we have 100s of other faults too

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
That quake was on the Central Balleny Fault, which is a strike/slip fault (as MoorfNZ mentioned).
The fault is located east of the Puysegur Trench on the Pacific Plate.
You can see the exact location and 41 (of the 44 up till right now) aftershocks on this map
Interesting that the aftershock pattern is east and west of the main shock, rather than what you might expect that it would follow the N/S line of the Central Balleny Fault. So the aftershocks were located right across from W of the Puysegur Trench, through the Puysegur Trench, West Balleny Fault, Central Balleny Fault, Puysegur Bank, Hauroko Fault to the Long Fault which runs past Solander island (volcano).
Its a very active area historically.
Here is another map of the area for you, Mag 6+ 1840-2011, this quake is not on there as officially it was a 5.826ML .

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
That quake was on the Central Balleny Fault, which is a strike/slip fault (as MoorfNZ mentioned).
The fault is located east of the Puysegur Trench on the Pacific Plate.
You can see the exact location and 41 (of the 44 up till right now) aftershocks on this map
Interesting that the aftershock pattern is east and west of the main shock, rather than what you might expect that it would follow the N/S line of the Central Balleny Fault. So the aftershocks were located right across from W of the Puysegur Trench, through the Puysegur Trench, West Balleny Fault, Central Balleny Fault, Puysegur Bank, Hauroko Fault to the Long Fault which runs past Solander island (volcano).
Its a very active area historically.
Here is another map of the area for you, Mag 6+ 1840-2011, this quake is not on there as officially it was a 5.826ML .

Yeah, seen it was downgraded and thanks for your input.

Always good to increase my knowledge base.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join