It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution Confirmed (Again); Single Celled Organism Evolves Into Multicellular

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

An evolutionary transition that took several billion years to occur in nature has happened in a laboratory, and it needed just 60 days. Under artificial pressure to become larger, single-celled yeast became multicellular creatures. That crucial step is responsible for life’s progression beyond algae and bacteria, and while the latest work doesn’t duplicate prehistoric transitions, it could help reveal the principles guiding them.

Multicellular Life Evolves in Laboratory

So, what does everybody think? Doesn't this simply confirm what most of us have known?

IMO It seems like science is progressing exponentially fast.... And confirming Evolution along the way...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Confusion42

It confirms that a single celled organism can be pressured into evolving under lab conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the evolution.
ID/Creationism is Easter Bunny, Tinker Bell stuff unless you toss in something like OMGAliens tinkering in the past to create us.

I'll believe we were created by aliens quicker than some invisible dude that's gonna be upset and condemn me for all of eternity to unending torture if I don't acknowledge it's existence and kiss the feet. lolz.

Anyway, cool stuff!
It'll be fun to see how this pans out.
For now, however, the only thing this proves is that a single cell can be poked and prodded through artificial means in a lab into changing its habits into multicelular-ism.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
key word "artificial" pressure. meaning an outside source created this multicellular yeast infection.

it didn't happen spontaneously, or by accident.

this doesn't confirm evolution, it confirms that a power greater than that of the creature is required for it's creation.

i call that power God.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Evolution without doubt has taken place, we can see eveidence for it EVERYWHERE. However, like many people I cant get my head around the Cambrian period. I absolutely do not believe in gods or creationism etc but I cant help but think someone or something gave earth a jumpstart back then.

There are some vids on youtube covering the cambrian period so if anyone doesnt know about it just do a search on youtube for it. Beware of the creationist vids though, they try to use it as proof of their beliefs.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
did you notice this

Under artificial pressure to become larger,

under artificial pressure, in other words not a natural.
you could even say it was man made, or better yet created.

edit on 18-1-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

So now the goal posts are being moved once again. Creationists have always claimed that it is impossible for a single-cell organism to become a multicellular organism. Now there is proof that this can occur. Whether or not it happened in a lab or not this proves that there is no magical mechanism that prevents "macroevolution."

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
"Artificial pressure" just means pressure either higher or lower than the average pressure at current atmospheric conditions. A lot of you are getting thrown off by semantics.

In nature, there are ALL KINDS of bizarre environments where the temperature is wildly different, pressure is wildly diferent, exposure to light is different, etc. What if in nature, these yeast cells were under 1000 feet of water? That's totally natural pressure, but far greater than you'd find in a laboratory - to simulate that, you would need to create "artificial" pressure. The "artificial" environment is found ALL over nature - but to study it under laboratory conditions they have to use methods like this.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Hmmmm.... I'll have to read more into this, but this little bit here makes me highly suspect about what we're actually talking about:

Within just a few weeks, individual yeast cells still retained their singular identities, but clumped together easily. At the end of two months, the clumps were a permanent arrangement. Each strain had evolved to be truly multicellular, displaying all the tendencies associated with “higher” forms of life: a division of labor between specialized cells, juvenile and adult life stages, and multicellular offspring.

If anything, it sounds more like a colony arrangement, like the portuguese man o' war jellyfish...just much much simpler in concept and consisting only of a single type of organism.

I'll definitely bookmark this for further looking, though. I come down on the suspect side of evolution, admittedly, but...meh. We'll see what this turns out to actually mean.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
key word "artificial" pressure. meaning an outside source created this multicellular yeast infection.

it didn't happen spontaneously, or by accident.

this doesn't confirm evolution, it confirms that a power greater than that of the creature is required for it's creation.

i call that power God.

But, IT DID, IN FACT, HAPPEN.

Within just a few weeks, individual yeast cells still retained their singular identities, but clumped together easily. At the end of two months, the clumps were a permanent arrangement. Each strain had evolved to be truly multicellular, displaying all the tendencies associated with “higher” forms of life: a division of labor between specialized cells, juvenile and adult life stages, and multicellular offspring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that The Theory of Evolution rests on this single experiment.

I'm saying that this experiment is yet another proof (factoid) for Evolution.; One of many proofs.

I don't mean to get your fabricated Overlord mad, though.

edit on 18-1-2012 by Confusion42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Confusion42

An evolutionary transition that took several billion years to occur in nature has happened in a laboratory, and it needed just 60 days. Under artificial pressure to become larger, single-celled yeast became multicellular creatures. That crucial step is responsible for life’s progression beyond algae and bacteria, and while the latest work doesn’t duplicate prehistoric transitions, it could help reveal the principles guiding them.

So, what does everybody think? Doesn't this simply confirm what most of us have known?

IMO It seems like science is progressing exponentially fast.... And confirming Evolution along the way...

The fact that it did so in the time frame and conditions, indicates that both Evolution AND Intelligent Design are proven by this in one way, and dis-proven in another.

I would actually have thought that this explicitly disproves evolution by genetic drift and natural selection. Think about it, 60 days!

How many generations? What were the predation/selection pressures?

If I were an Evolutionist, I'd be a bit embarrassed by how this does NOT prove Evolution by the methods through which it is supposed to occur!

Just sayin'

edit on 18/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

And than it says

“Multicellularity is the ultimate in cooperation,” said Travisano, who wants to understand how cooperation emerges in selfishly competing organisms. “Multiple cells make make up an individual that cooperates for the benefit of the whole. Sometimes cells give up their ability to reproduce for the benefit of close kin.”

So this happens naturally. From one cell to multiple cells that help each other, within 60 days.

The only difference between those yeast cells and us (human collectivization) is that from our point of view they look small.

Heck, those yeast cells understand the meaning of "cooperation" much better than us humans lol

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
That is pretty cool! But I may be in the minority here, because I'm a Christian. However, I do believe that evolution IS God's creation. The Adam & Eve thing in the garden of Eden came much later, long after one-celled organisms crawled from the primordial soup as developed creatures.

Proof evolution exists does not prove that God doesn't.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
A facinating link to be sure but I see no evidence of evolution. The on a cellular basis no change has taken place at all... Where is the evolution? Many single cellular ordanism have been forced togeather and formed a cooperative.. Very cool, but I see no evidence of change in the individual cell structure or genetic code... Henceforth... Not evolution. Nothing has evolved here.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It's not impossible to believe in evolution, or de-evolution in some cases of vestigial organs and such, and believe in creationism.

I think evolution is real, but how did it all begin? I have a hard time finding evidence that proves life started from a single cell and evolved to become all the different life forms we have today.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Yes, I did read that as well, but it seems more of opining than a factual interpretation of what we're seeing here as proving evolution in any solid way.

As I said, I'm open to the idea and will see what comes of it and what more people wiser than myself have to say about it, but...eh. "Eh" is really all I can as it doesn't seem as significant as is implied. It definitely might be, and I could be wrong, but...well...eh.

As to my mentioning it being like the jellyfish earlier, as something more akin to a colony situation, the classification of the man o' war and other similar creatures kind of gets on my nerves. It's like saying a city or various other human systems are multicellular organisms because they would collapse and die if they didn't have certain people and organizations fulfilling certain necessary roles, but all those people are still individual organisms - who, granted, might die without the whole operation in place and working.

I'll just have to leave it at wanting to see what further comes of this, and how critical review by other experts ends up treating it.

And definitely agreed about cooperation - but, give them anywhere near our intelligence and personal motivation, and let's see how well that works out!

Thanks friend.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What does god have to do with this topic?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
What does god have to do with this topic?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I am the Original Poster. The Original Post does not mention God. The title does not mention God.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

evolution is allowed within creation by conditions that are perfect for allowing it to happen.

duh.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

evolution is allowed within creation by conditions that are perfect for allowing it to happen.

duh.

But what proof do you have that a fabricated Overlord was needed in order for life to exist?

Why do you think a fabricated Overlord is responsible for the "perfect conditions'"?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

The fact that it did so in the time frame and conditions, indicates that both Evolution AND Intelligent Design are proven by this in one way, and dis-proven in another.

I would actually have thought that this explicitly disproves evolution by genetic drift and natural selection. Think about it, 60 days!

How many generations? What were the predation/selection pressures?

If I were an Evolutionist, I'd be a bit embarrassed by how this does NOT prove Evolution by the methods through which it is supposed to occur!

Just sayin'

edit on 18/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

Do me a favor...if you want to believe in GOD fine. If you want to believe that GOD used the EVOLUTIONARY process to create life on Earth...fine...but when you talk about Intelligent design in the way the books about it have come out....you just look like someone who has no clue. Split Infinity

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join