It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone over the age of 30 should read this..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

WELL!! You didn't answer but did you tell this cashier in no uncertain terms what we did do in our day or did you not defend your generation? I do not mean you personally when I say that too many people let remarks or bad manners or bad service go by without putting your point of view over. An instance. My wife was given a very poor meal in a restuarant. When I asked her if she complained she said "I didn't want to make a fuss". Wrong. Wrong. If you don't answer, these people will think it is the norm when in fact it is wrong and keep on doing what they see fit. There are too many people too layed back to answer back (stop believing them when they say you are complaining) and that includes all walks of life, including polotics.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

We did all that as well, happy days....

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by crayzeed

as i stated in my OP and throughout this thread , it wasnt me it came from. i saw it on wordpress while looking for somthing for my blog and came across it and thought i would share with ats
plus i am a girl as ppl keep tryin to refer to me as a dude
i liked what i saw in the blog and thought of how much of it was true so i shared

edit on 16/1/12 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Absolutely right, we are a disposable society where we reuse nothing. Its not sustainable.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
i'm 41

plumbing/heating guy

60% efficient heating appliances....95-98% efficient.... 40% went up the chiminy..thats alot.

my 400hp cummins turbo-diesel work truck gets 18 mpg..whether i'm pulling a 12,000 lbs trailer (for work) or not...lets see a 1975 big block 454 do that..your dads '79 station wagon could not get that kind of mileage.

I got LCD tv's..80% less usage than a CRT

I doubt that nobody used a gas- lawn-mower in 1983...that was just silly...BTW....a 1000 square foot lawn that was cut by a lawn-mower burner 2 liters of fuel will suck in 100x more carbon from the atmosphere that the fuel used to cut it.when it re-grows.

i dont remember putting empty cereal boxes in a blue bin back in '77

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm 35.
My entire childhood I lived very close to the harbor of Antwerp (Belgium) because my father worked there. I remember the sky back then changed color several times a day, dirty brown-greenish colors above the factories.
These days the sky is much better in the industrial areas, not healthy, but better now that they apply filters and have better laws on what they can blow into the air.

As a child we DID have electronic games run on batteries... remember Donkey Kong?
I had my first cd player by the age of 12, (by then we also all had a washing machine AND a dryer)
first game console by 15 .... lol, both Nintendo and Sega. There where also 3 tv's in the house by then.
Then came the dvd player.....First computer at 20... broadband connection by 23.

I have an electronics store and I can garantee you that most machines these days consume waaaaaay less then what they consumed 20 years ago!
for ex.
and A class condense dryer with heat pump consumes upto 4 times less then what your basic 2 year old dryer uses

other appliances have more wattage but do the job in less then half the time of what it took them just a couple of years back.

Personally I think that humanity has waken up, things are improving
It's part of our human evolution.
Blaming the 35+ is ridiculous, when they where children others where in charge,
and now they are in charge (almost)....
the sad part is: their children don't seem to give a sh*t. At least mine don't seem to care much.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I have a younger brother and some of his friends are very lazy. I wont allow him to sit around and play video games or text on a cell phone all day. I got alot of his friends to get up and join me in the outdoors, now the lazy ones don't come around in fear that CJ's crazy big brother is gonna make them play kick ball or go for a nature walk.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf

I was born in the 80's i pretty much lived outside till my mom made me come inside. Yea I had a nintendo but it wasn't on unless it was too cold or too wet out. The way I see it kids these days are kind of robbed. They dont play outside because there is hardly anywhere they can go that isnt considered trespassing. Theres a murderer or child molester hiding behind every corner. Nearly everything fun has been outlawed or so regulated it's no longer fun. When I was a boy I could play outside, go fishing, camping, hiking or play with a bb gun. Nowadays everyone so freakin nosey and basically drooling at the chance to turn someone in or get them in trouble somehow.

I was born in 62. I think a lot of these people enjoy talking about the 'old' days simply because no matter what generation you are, life is simple when you are a kid. no job, no bills. and nowadays kids can't go out and play without fear of their lives, like you said Longbottomleaf. Literally. It's so sad.

I can remember my grandma still getting her milk delivered by the milkman in quart bottles weekly. Both he and the mailman would always come into the house and have a snack, coffee, whatever. Life was just not so doggone rushed 50 years ago. There were less people on the planet and they were nicer to each other than people today.

There were no superstores. On weekends we would go with mom to the milk store, the meat store (where we got free pickles and pretzels), the pharmacy. You couldn't get it all in one place.
and I grew up in a suburb where all the kids played together, impromptu baseball games in a back yard, rode your bike or walked everywhere. not a care in the world except what was for dinner. and we were expected home when the street lights came on. Mom never worried about WHERE we were.
Collecting bottles to take to the local liquor store/candy store to trade for candy. looking back that was sure a clash but it was the norm at the time.
Times have sure changed . and in another 50 years it'll be totally different yet again.
geez I feel old.

thanks for the trip, OP
edit on 16-1-2012 by horseplay because: typo. pet peeve.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

That little plastic box takes the place of a wife too....
It tells you where to go!!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I think this is BS. Such a comment to any costumer by an employee would be grounds for immediate termination.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
No particular Generation caused this issue. Bottom lines did. Those who are young may buy into the luxury/laziness propaganda, but who built that reality into their minds? Who painted that picture? We did. We allowed it to happen.
I try and keep as much of that nonsense out of my son's reality as possible, but it has become so ingrained into our culture that it's impossible to keep them 100% out of the grinder.

I see 2 year olds holding cellphones. I see 90 year olds using iPads. We're all using this $h!t. We're all to blame. I'm writing this, not with a pen and paper, but on a MacBook.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I think my dad was green before that term came into place.

I remember when I was a kid and teenager in the 70's,it would be so cold in my house in the winter,that when I woke up in the morning,I could see my breath.
If I was in the shower for more then ten minutes,he would shut the hot water off.

Till this day,he has a new house,very energy efficient,will not use his garage door opener,but opens it manually.

The only light in the house would be a 25 watt florescent bulb that he uses to do his crossword puzzles.

Refuses to get cable,even though I have offered to pay for it.

It drives him crazy when I bring my kids over to the house,cause they go around and flip every light on.

Or maybe he is just a cheap old bastard.

edit on 16-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja

The blog writer plagiarized it, from someone else that plagiarized it.

Link

It also appears on this site numerous times. 17'000 reproductions of this writing, simply wow.
edit on 16-1-2012 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

It should be put up on the site every day - the first post of the day!!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'm 55. When I was 12 I used to go to work with my dad evenings and weekends to earn pocket money. He was a deisel mechanic and even back then old oil etc had to be placed into tanks for recycling so the comments about tipping oil down the drain are wrong...unless you were the person doing it??

Batteries. Yep we used a few but not as many as nowadays. Also the rechargeble batteries that we did not have are EXTREMELY TOXIC.

Scrumping anyone?
Probably a prison sentece these days.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
agreed that waste is prominent in various froms with different generations. We have no needs to point fingers as to whom is most to blame. We did have a more simpler time in the past with some ways but oviously the need to make some things more simple as how we get more techno=advanced. It should not be a we did this and you do that, we all are wasteful, and yes there was more of an ignorance to the destruction in the past of throwing out batteries and so on, but I guess we can always be flippant and say , "well, now you always knew better, so what is your reason for not recycling clothing, and so on" see, it is a mute point on who dunnit or who is doing it. I think just doing what you can, stop making excuses for some things(like bottled water, get a filter) and caring and oh, did I mention, working together? That seems to be "our" real downfall.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I walk to the shops, use my own cotton bag, have to remember phone numbers since I don't own a mobile, remember even as a kid riding on escalators and in lifts, returning bottles for small change, even tin cans, remember having an old black and white set in my bedroom, etc etc.

I think some people either have it damn easy these days, or forget their childhood conveniently.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I remember the first color tv! we would play ouside until dark! I saw a funny thing today, a teacher had some of those little containers which rolls of film used to come in and a kid asked her why she had such little tupperware containers on her desk!!! she felt old!!

rotary phones, 1 tv in the house parent would fall asleep, but they would wake up when you tried to change the channel!!

we made rubber band guns, walked almost everywhere. Milk came in big thick glass bottles, I dropped one on on my big toe one day!!

hung clothes to dry on the clothes line. If there was more than 1 show on at the same time, you had to choose which one to watch and which one to catch when the repeats came around.

my friend and I watched Dark shadows every day, if 1 family went on vaction, the other would keep track of what happened on the show and fill in the other one when they got back!!!

wonder what people will be saying 50 years from now!!!
edit on 16-1-2012 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

No offense, but you sound just like my grandfather when he starts telling me about things in his days lol. Take it as a compliment actually
Good thread, they didn't have the green thing back then but we wasn't suffocated by pollution like we are now adays. That's what you should have said to her.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

.... but alas i still miss the days of being a child lol

I DON'T!

You couldn't pay me to be that reckless and wild again...and I am over 40!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Gawd, why'dja hafta go and make me feel old when I already feel that way? Thanks a lot man! I was hoping to avoid that feeling at least for a little while, pretend I wasn't as old as I was, then go to sleep, wake up feeling oh say 30? 25? At least till the coffee kicked in and along with it reality. LOL Oh well. Actually for awhile there we had the tiny TV until our dad built one from scratch with parts from Radio Shack. It took him 7 years to do it, because us kids kept getting into his room and getting into the parts losing or breaking things. It had a remote with 5 buttons. On/off, up/down channel, and up/down volume and a fairly large screen for back in the day. It was a 25-30 inch color screen with a record player in the bottom console TV. He was quite proud of his accomplishment. We used it for the Nintendo DS I believe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join