It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird and impressive cloud formation above Rennes (France)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
I'm from the mid west and If I saw that cloud I wouldn't be standing around taking pictures of it..

Looks like a funnel cloud. A tornado birther of sorts....

I'm with you. From Michigan in the US - that type of cloud formation would make me seek home or closer shelter. Especially if the surrounding area was unusually quiet or had the strange green tint you see in tornado weather.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudwatcher

Originally posted by pshea38

Originally posted by elevenaugust

What we have here is what is referred to as a nipple formation.
It is specific to certain topographical areas of France and the phenomena
can be found in abundance in the north-western region of Brest.
They usually proliferate in pairs and are certainly a handful when encountered,
especially in hot conditions.

Too funny.
You made spit out my pepsi!

What you get up to with your boyfriend in your own time is your own business.
We are trying to have a serious scientific concussion here!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

I think your kinda on the right track!!

I believe they are called mammatus clouds, this one seems like a more concentrated version.

Mammatus clouds

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
what the hell is that?

if you told me this came out of "tornado alley" U.S.A i would have thought tornado forming...

but in france

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Wow!

Great picture!

I've just started a cloud thread too,

s&f

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Not hardly. At least if it were a wall cloud, it's not anywhere near as uniform. There are various characteristics and elements that go into wall cloud formation, and the appearance. None of which match the criteria of the cloud in question.

reply to post by Qumulys

I think you've gotten about as close to the idea as one could get. I'd like to see more of the sky around the area, and the surrounding terrain to get a better idea, but the moment I saw it, Mamatus were the first clouds which came into my mind. This would imply the storm moving away from this location, as they form at the rear of elevated convective systems.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo
what the hell is that?

if you told me this came out of "tornado alley" U.S.A i would have thought tornado forming...

but in france

Yes, tornadoes are very rare in France (and in Europe), but not impossible.

According to this list, at least six tornadoes occurred in France since 1669.

Of course, they are not as deadly as in the USA, but the latest known was in August 2008, it was a F4 tornado that killed 4 people in the north of France...and here's what Wiki said about it:

The 2008 Hautmont, France tornado was a powerful tornado which touched down near the town of Hautmont, France late on August 3, 2008. The tornado left a path of destruction about 19 kilometres (12 mi) long through several small towns. The hardest hit town was Hautmont, where three people were killed and another nine were injured by the tornado. Another man committed suicide after the tornado had destroyed his home. Among the four who died were the Deputy Mayor of Hautmont and his wife, who were found underneath the rubble of their home the day after the tornado struck.

The three other towns affected by the tornado were Maubeuge, Neuf-Mesnil and Boussieres-sur-Sambre. In total, about 1000 homes were damaged, with 250 rendered uninhabitable.

AFP source for the tornado

Some pictures:

French source 1
French source 2

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I just went back and reread your OP.

I think your weatherman may have nailed it. If you google a term called "hole punch clouds" you'll find some interesting results. The cloud is formed when cold air sinks, literally punching a hole through the clouds, and making it appear as if there's a "hole in the sky." I feel you may have been witnessing the very early stages of that cycle. It would make sense, since temperatures in an industrial park due to exhaust can be substantially higher, causing warm air to rise, and the displacement of the cold air to sink.

Edit to add:

Here are some links you might find interesting:
en.wikipedia.org...
weatherthings.com...
www.wired.com...
www.meteorologynews.com...
edit on 16.1.2012 by Shugo because: Added links

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

I agree, the weather man seems to have gotten it right. It's not a funnel cloud because they don't generally look so rounded.. and usually come out of wall clouds, which doesnt really appear to be present here.

Either way, I'd certainly be out taking pictures of it, too.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by minikin84
That is not a supercell..

THIS is a supercell:

THAT IS AWESOME! :O

If I saw this I'd probably freak at first but then I'd take out my camera and start snapping away!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38

Originally posted by elevenaugust

What we have here is what is referred to as a nipple formation.
It is specific to certain topographical areas of France and the phenomena
can be found in abundance in the north-western region of Brest.
They usually proliferate in pairs and are certainly a handful when encountered,
especially in hot conditions.

Thank You, that just made my morning! On topic, that does look like a funnel cloud.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

Strangely there are other cloud formations called 'mammatus' - mammatocumulus meaning breast or mammary.

edit on 16/1/12 by EnigmaAgent because: xtra words

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The clouds in this world are fantastic and mysterious things. I once saw a braided cloud. Yes, the cloud was BRAIDED, like hair. Nonetheless I had a panic attack (I have severe OCD) thinking it could magically be a tornado. Ah the glories of Michigan.
edit on 1/7/12 by Avalessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avalessa
The clouds in this world are fantastic and mysterious things. I once saw a braided cloud. Yes, the cloud was BRAIDED, like hair. Nonetheless I had a panic attack (I have severe OCD) thinking it could magically be a tornado. Ah the glories of Michigan.

Sorry about this. I meant to hit edit but quoted myself, sorry everyone

edit on 1/7/12 by Avalessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg

Originally posted by truthinfact
I'm from the mid west and If I saw that cloud I wouldn't be standing around taking pictures of it..

Looks like a funnel cloud. A tornado birther of sorts....

I'm with you. From Michigan in the US - that type of cloud formation would make me seek home or closer shelter. Especially if the surrounding area was unusually quiet or had the strange green tint you see in tornado weather.

exactly! Pictures like that give me this little tingly fear...
This little voice in my head says Run away... and why aren't the tornado sirens on?!

Ive actually had some crazy weather experiences.. when severe thunderstorms roll in off of any big plain, their is a chance of tornado. The mid west is just the most common place of occurrence.
Beware of mother nature

edit on 16-1-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join