It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's failed Phobos-Grunt space probe heads to Earth Sunday!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
In the last 21 hours for the n2yo site, the predicted pass over my location has been moved up five minutes and moved several miles closer (higher)-- eastward.

Therefore, the n2yo.com folks are making periodic updates to the calculated orbit.

I have never seen a vehicle re-entry-- and this could be my chance.

However, while the pass over me is getting closer to being straight up (about 75 degrees above the horizon)-- if it lasts that long---it is also getting earlier (only about fifteen minutes after sunset). Worse, thin clouds are forecast to come into my area this afternoon.

I'm going to need a really bright fireball-- or I'm not going to see anything.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
A few minutes ago on twitter...

PhG_Reentry Phobos Grunt
RT @riascience: Roskosmos narrows expected #PhobosGrunt reentry to a single orbit

So its likely to end up in the Pacific.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's east of Australia now, could be coming down any minute.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
PhG_Reentry Phobos Grunt
RT @timmermansr: US STRATCOM claiming #PhobosGrunt already reentered and crashed in Pacific in last few minutes. Unconfirmed by Roscosmos.
29 seconds ago

Edit - The russians are now reporting that it has indeed come down in the Pacific.

January 15, 2012 21:17 Print According to the Russian Space Command, the fragments of the device "Phobos-Grunt", not burned in the dense atmosphere, presumably dropped at 21:45 p in the Pacific Ocean Moscow. On January 15. INTERFAX.RU - Fragments of the vehicle "Phobos-Grunt", not burned in the dense atmosphere, presumably dropped at 21:45 p in the Pacific Ocean, "Interfax-AVN" the official representative of the Press and Information of the Russian Defense Ministry troops Aerospace Defense Colonel Alexei Zolotukhin.

Thats a google translation of the original from here

edit on 15-1-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Yup, it's down.

­The stray probe plunged into the cold waters of the Pacific Ocean at 17:45 GMT (21:45 Moscow time), says the press service of Russia’s Aerospace Defense Forces in the Defense Ministry.

RT Link

top topics

<< 1   >>

join