It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Wives Tales- Share Yours!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
O.k. So this site is filled with people from all over the world, and I am sure that there are some old wives tales, or remedies, whether they work or not, sometimes can be quite disturbing to some, but have been shared for generations.

Ive heard some really weird ones, but I think its cool that no matter the distance, nationalities, or origins, we all have one thing in common, weird old wives tales.

So if you have some or even heard of it, share it here

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Whiskey for a snakebite, and meat for a black eye. Don't know if either one are true, but that's what I hear.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well, let me tell you about my old wife's tail...

uh-oh...here it comes now. Gotta go!

Peace

edit on 13-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
eat your veggies/crust/anything you dont like so you get hair on your chest

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Large feet means a large peni...nevermind!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

If you don't eat your meat,how can you have any pudding....just some Tom foolery.Actually,the one i always liked was"don't eat that,you'll ruin your appetite.

Tom

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Had to post another because to this day I still find it hilarious.

In Korea there is a belief in what is called Fan Death. And that is if you sleep in a closed room with a fan on, you can die. Seriously.

I believe it comes from the war when the Govt. told people this in order to conserve energy and they believe it to this day. When I lived there, we had many heated discussions over this.

en.wikipedia.org...

Fan death is a widely held belief in South Korea that an electric fan left running overnight in a closed room can cause the death of those inside. Fans sold in Korea are equipped with a timer switch that turns them off after a set number of minutes, which users are frequently urged to set when going to sleep with a fan on.[1] The Korea Consumer Protection Board (KCPB), a South Korean government-funded public agency, issued a consumer safety alert in 2006 warning that "asphyxiation from electric fans and air conditioners" was among South Korea's five most common seasonal summer accidents or injuries, according to data they collected.[1] The KCPB published the following:

If bodies are exposed to electric fans or air conditioners for too long, it causes [the] bodies to lose water and [causes] hypothermia. If directly in contact with [air current from] a fan, this could lead to death from [an] increase of carbon dioxide saturation concentration [sic] and decrease of oxygen concentration. The risks are higher for the elderly and patients with respiratory problems. From 2003 [to] 2005, a total of 20 cases were reported through the CISS involving asphyxiations caused by leaving electric fans and air conditioners on while sleeping. To prevent asphyxiation, timers should be set, wind direction should be rotated and doors should be left open.

edit on 13-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Oh what about your cat can steal your baby's breath? That one for me is a classic. There would be no cats left because parents would be petrified.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Shaving makes hair grow back faster.

Also, American Indians don't usually grow facial hair (nor any other body hair besides pubic). This is actually a fact, I've researched it. It happens, but it's rare.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
We are an old Irish family so the wren is a big part of the tradition surrounding St. Stephens Day.

My grandmother always said that "when the wren calls...hiding will not save you...stand up and be a man"!

My mother still says it to this day!

Old wives tale...maybe...there seems to be a history to it!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I don't know if this one is real cause am tall and i smoke."don't smoke!!it will stunt your growth"....Or,an apple a day will keep the doctor away.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
When pregnant, if you raise your hands above your head, the cord will wrap around baby neck

If your kid has asthma, stand them against a tree, and nail a nail above their head.

Infant have hiccups? Take a string off your clothes, lick it, lay across baby's head! (This works )

If your mad at your baby daddyle pregnant, baby will look like him

I got more, lol

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Don't go to bed with wet hair or you will be sick in the morning......Step on the crack,break your mothers back....Beauty is only found on the inside.....Keep your shoe's off the bed or you will be hexed....this is the best"better dress warm out there,or you will catch a cold"

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Horses standing with their backs to a hedge mean it's going to rain
cows lay down when it's going to rain.
If you walk under a ladder it is considered bad luck but you can avoid the bad if you keep your fingers crossed until you have seen 3 horses.
If you nail a horseshoe in a doorway it must be hung with the points up to keep the luck from spilling out.

one white sock buy a horse
two white socks try a horse
three white socks look well about him
four white socks do without him

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Hiccup Cure.... 1 tablespoon of Vinegar, just swallow it.

I tried it back in the early 1980's and found it worked.. so have always used it since with 100% success rate.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

You reminded me of a hiccup thing. If someone is hiccuping, as them to do it again, and stay quiet and they cant do it anymore. I thought that was one of the craziest thing ever, but it works EVERY TIME!!

Here is how it goes.

Someone: Hiccup, hiccup....

You: Whats the matter?

Someone, I have the hiccups.. hiccup.

You: Really, let me hear you do it...

Someone: Uhmmmm!! Holy Crap

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

A spoonful of peanut butter is supposed to work too!

Supposedly is the key word there!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Pineapple juice for hiccups.
When you get hiccups it means you are growing
Right hand itches, you will receive money. Left hand itchs, you will lose money
^I have always wondered if this was different for left handers. lol
If you have a lot of heartburn while pregnant, baby will have a lot of hair.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gypsycat

[color=dodgerblue]When my son was born, he had a ton of hair. Even the nurses were shocked by his head of hair. I never had heartburn.

When my second son was born, he barely had any hair compared to his older brother. I had heartburn all the time.

new topics

top topics

join