It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhode Island Public School Court Ordered to remove a banner displaying a message of faith.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
www.riaclu.org...

A Rhode Island judge has ruled that this public school has to remove a banner displayed in this school's auditorium, because it depicts a Christian Prayer. This decision has left the state in a divisive argument between those of faith, and those of secularism.

What do you think, was the Court justified in it's decision? Was this an unnecessary case? Was the young girl wrong in bringing this to attention?

My opinion: Simply because this is a public school, the school should remain neutral on the subject. Even though the banner itself was paid for, and hung by students years ago, the school must support it's message by allowing it to be displayed for as long as it has. If you want your child to go to a school that preaches your religion of choice, please do, but leave the religious out of public schools.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Daemonicon

Separation of Church and State. it is a public school after all and not a Catholic or Christian school.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Hard one isn't it? As you said, it is a public school so should remain neutral. However, rather than taking down the banner that may cause offense, why not put up other banners denoting other faiths also? Problem solved then....

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If my child went to that school, I would have taken it down for them.

For the last time, keep your religious beliefs out of our schools and away from my kids.

I don't come to your church and start handing out Darwinism pamphlets to your six year olds...
edit on 13-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I disagree, this would not be resolved by adding banners for every religion. Firstly, I doubt there is enough room for all of these banners. Secondly, the issue is neutrality as far as I'm concerned. This isn't a show all or show none issue, it's the simple idea that religious belief has NO room in a publicly funded place of education. If you want to go to a Catholic school, fine. If you want to go to a mosque, fine. School is neither the time, nor the place for religion as far as I'm concerned. You are there to learn. If you want, or need, to pray for a good test score, please do it to yourself, or with others like-minded. There is no need for the religious to banner their beliefs wherever they go.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I take your point. Personally i am against organised religion but i do accept that many favour it. I also agree there should be separation between church and state.

However, amongst other things, one purpose of schools is to expose children to new ideas so it could perhaps be linked into that?

I myself have children and although i personally am against religion i would want them exposing to different theories, etc, at school so they could make up their own minds. I will admit i would be far more comfortable if that was done in organised lessons though!
edit on 13-1-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

I take your point. Personally i am against organised religion but i do accept that many favour it. I also agree there should be separation between church and state.

However, amongst other things, one purpose of schools is to expose children to new ideas so it could perhaps be linked into that?

I myself have children and although i personally am against religion i would want them exposing to different theories, etc, at school so they could make up their own minds. I will admit i would be far more comfortable that was done in organised lessons though!

I can certainly see your argument. I do still disagree however. (I didn't want to get into this exactly, but here we go) The reason why I do not support religious teaching in a public school, is because there is no verifiable evidence for it. We teach Science in it's place, because it has evidence. Teaching young children to accept information based on authority, or a lack of evidence is damning to them I feel. If there was some evidence to support it, sure, but at the present moment, there isn't.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The place for religion in publiclly funded schools is ONLY in a comparative theology class..

This was a correct decision by the court. However, there is a subtlety in the actions that should be considered. The wording of the constitution is "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"..

Technically, Congress made no law setting up that sign. But they have passed laws that provide funding to that school. Thus the actions of the court should reflect that. The school could take down the sign voluntarilly, or they lose all of their public funding.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'm a little torn on this one. On one hand, I certainly understand and support that religion has no place in a public school, because we are not a theocracy. On the other hand, it was paid for by the class of 1963 and has some historic value as part of the whole cold war religious fervor that took over the country at that time.

I would have maybe put it someplace like the library, as a historic display, with a small plaque explaining the mood of the time and the backlash against the atheist Soviet regime which prompted things like "In God We Trust" being put on our money (done in the 1950s), It is part of our history, and could be used as a teaching device to take kids back to the days when we expected to be vaporized at any second. Maybe couple that with one of those old instructional films showing the good American boys and girls how to get under their desks, curl up in a ball and kiss their little butts goodbye.

Let's not bury our history, let's understand it.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I have often wondered that myself. It is either take them all done no tolerance policy or allow all of them up.

I chose no tolerance at public because I wouldnt want my child exposed to things of a religious nature that do not meet with ours. Take that for what you will.

And again public...is not private!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Hard one isn't it? As you said, it is a public school so should remain neutral. However, rather than taking down the banner that may cause offense, why not put up other banners denoting other faiths also? Problem solved then....

Because Secular Humanists are allegedly offended by all faiths?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daemonicon
www.riaclu.org...

A Rhode Island judge has ruled that this public school has to remove a banner displayed in this school's auditorium, because it depicts a Christian Prayer. This decision has left the state in a divisive argument between those of faith, and those of secularism.

What do you think, was the Court justified in it's decision? Was this an unnecessary case? Was the young girl wrong in bringing this to attention?

My opinion: Simply because this is a public school, the school should remain neutral on the subject. Even though the banner itself was paid for, and hung by students years ago, the school must support it's message by allowing it to be displayed for as long as it has. If you want your child to go to a school that preaches your religion of choice, please do, but leave the religious out of public schools.

There was a time when the story of Jesus was taught in schools, and no one questioned it because everyone believed.

Alot of schools flaunt the message dubbed "the golden rule" but who made the golden rule? Jesus.

He said "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you".

Jesus was taken out of americas schools. Now we have school shootings and stabbings, drug dealing and prostitution, truancy and a host of many other nefarious things. America has forgotten the face of God and look where we are now and where were headed...hell on earth.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Remove it....

This video sums it up.... It's perfect.... religious toys

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by Daemonicon
www.riaclu.org...

There was a time when the story of Jesus was taught in schools, and no one questioned it because everyone believed.

Alot of schools flaunt the message dubbed "the golden rule" but who made the golden rule? Jesus.

Jesus was taken out of americas schools. Now we have school shootings and stabbings, drug dealing and prostitution, truancy and a host of many other nefarious things. America has forgotten the face of God and look where we are now and where were headed...hell on earth.

The same book that details the adventures of your Jesus, also states:

If, on the night of your wedding, you find your wife is not a virgin, you are to stone her. Do you agree with this? Are you willing to do this? REF: Deuteronomy 22:20-21

If you have a child, who is unruly and will not listen to his parents, you are to take him/her to the town elders, and they are to stone him/her to death. Are you willing to do this to your children? REF: Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Are any of the clothes you are wearing now, or even made from mixed fabrics? I pity the time you will spend in hell for having a sense of fashion. REF: Leviticus 19:19

Do you see how silly your argument is now?
edit on 13-1-2012 by Daemonicon because: added appropriate passages.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I have loved that video since the first time I saw it. Hitchens was really a great man on this subject, and I mourn his death.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Good call on the school's part...

At least its just a simple prayer... not a big deal but students might question where that prayer came from... Which is just a oppourtunity for the preachers of the faith to chime in and convert while their still young...

Instill fear early... Great idea!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Um... Actually...

"Avoid doing what you would blame others for doing." – Thales[20] (c. 624 BC – c. 546 BEFORE CHRIST)

"Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you. - The Eloquent Peasant (2040–1650 BEFORE CHRIST)

How would you like it if another religion was taught in school in no one questioned it? You'd probably think it was the anti-christ!

I think they should have a religion class where they teach about many religions to be fair. But to teach one religion and assert it as truth in a PUBLIC school? No way.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I could agree to the faith class in a public school IF it wasn't funded by taxpayer money. The churches take in enough money, tax free, that they can spare money if they wish their religion to be included in such a class. The second one dime comes from the tax-payers, is the second I will fight it. (Again, this is in a public school)

The other requirement I would have, is that it MUST remain an elected class. If you want no part of it, no problem and no questions asked. Same idea as taking shop over baking class.
edit on 13-1-2012 by Daemonicon because: spelling

top topics

join