It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Reports Completely Drug-Resistant TB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Well, this is a bad way to start the year.

Over the past 48 hours, news has broken in India of the existence of at least 12 patients infected with tuberculosis that has become resistant to all the drugs used against the disease. Physicians in Mumbai are calling the strain TDR, for Totally Drug-Resistant. In other words, it is untreatable as far as they know.

News of some of the cases was published Dec. 21 in an ahead-of-print letter to the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, which just about everyone missed, including me. (But not, thankfully, the hyper-alert global-health blogger Crawford Kilian, to whom I hat-tip.)www.wired.com...

Yikes!!!!!! This is not good news esp. for those of us on the front lines. Whats even more scary is that these are not the first but rather there were several cases in Iran in 2009 which by and large has gone unnoticed which in turn could mean that this strain is present in larger numbers than these small reported outbreaks would suggest.

As the story noted there were 440000 cases of multi drug resistant (MDR-TB) with 150000 deaths. Thats 33% mortality: This is totally resistant. Scary

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Historically, it's been over 50%, if I remember correctly. Regardless, it's pretty scary. Just goes to show ya, you can try all you like, but you can't outrun Mother Nature forever.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
intravenous feeding 40 ppm of AgO into the blood stream with electrocute and implode all pathogens and exit out the lungs and is not a drug
patft.uspto.gov.../56769 77&RS=PN/5676977

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
i may be called to the front lines for this if it ever comes to u.s. shores, i'm one of the few people to have had t.b. here in the u.s., i was infected by a family friend my parents were hosting on his return from Vietnam and the war in 1975, i was only 2 years old at the time, and the family friends did not know he was infected until he started to come down with severe symptoms while staying with my parents, he was immediately quarantined by the state health department here in hawaii and given a regimen of treatment of streptomycin basically the strongest antibiotic used, my parents never came down with full blown t.b. as their adult immunity were higher, although because of their exposure they can become infected if they get to having weakened immunity. however for myself i came down with symptoms almost immediately with my mom noticing my knee's were swollen, she said she knew something was wrong and guess the worst, however, what she told me that took her aback was that when she took me to pediatricians and doctors they always dismissed her accounts of our family friend having t.b. and found it preposterous that he had t.b. because t.b was now a very rare disease to have in the u.s. and sent me and my mom on her way with the idea that my knee's were swollen because of me crawling at 2 years old, however when she did finally visit a doctor in hilo, hawaii the doctor immediately knew the signs she was looking at and began making the necessary arraignments for my treatment, in the meantime my mom asked how all the other doctors had miss diagnosed me and dismissed my moms accounts..the doctor who was an asian woman named Dr. Matsura had just returned from seven years of work in southeast asia told my mom that all of the american doctors have never seen a real live case before them so they did not know the subtle signs to look for they only knew the textbook full blown symptoms! Dr. Matsura immediately called for an emergency meeting of all the island doctors and asked my mother permission to bring me in to the meeting to teach and also scold the other 4 doctors who had seen me first that they had just let a t.b.patient walk out of their office...all of this account is from info that my mother shared with me when i waqs older. it took me two years on streptomycin to overcome the t.b and get it in remission, also i had to have a spinal tap weekly and i remember a few of those from when i was 3 years old, the weekly spinal tap is to find out if the virus has spread to your brain cause then its all over then anyway and you become a code-2 patient, terminal and non treatable, the side effect of the antibiotics is also very harsh on your system, it causes constant diarrhea, and makes you lose your appetite for most foods so i was stunted a little bit developmentally for the first 10 years of my life compared to other children my age, eventually my body did seem to catch up growth wise. i have to check in with the c.d.c every 10 years now to get a chest x-ray just to check on my remission status cause that's where it ended was in my lungs, so far so good and i'm 37 now. another reason the c.d.c likes to keep track of me is because one of the special traits about us t.b. survivors is that we cannot become reinfected and so we can be used in the frontline treatment of as full blown epidemic, you cannot get t.b. from me now nor is it sexually transmitted from me to others now that it is in remission, i have a 4 year old happy healthy daughter!, you can only get t.b. from being in the vicinity of a person who is already showing the severe symptoms like excessive coughing , basically it can begin like a cold or flu but never goes away just gets worse and you have to be exposed to the actual saliva or off spray from a coughing fit of an infected person, mostly its transmitted from the close living of friends and family as in my case..

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetnlow
intravenous feeding 40 ppm of AgO into the blood stream with electrocute and implode all pathogens and exit out the lungs and is not a drug
patft.uspto.gov.../56769 77&RS=PN/5676977

...What he said.
Actually even plain old ionic silver might be used in this case - intravenous probably but this should be trivial stuff for silver particles to take care of.

edit on 10-1-2012 by trouble_every_day because: brevity

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Historically, it's been over 50%, if I remember correctly. Regardless, it's pretty scary. Just goes to show ya, you can try all you like, but you can't outrun Mother Nature forever.

It may not be Mother Nature at all. A lot of people will end up profiting from this.

Originally posted by trouble_every_day
Actually even plain old ionic silver might be used in this case - intravenous probably but this should be trivial stuff for silver particles to take care of.

Shhhhhh!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

repeated scientific papers have come out that megadose administration of vitamin d before infection and after infection prevents or improves recovery rate of infected patients respectively yet everyone chooses to ignore this.

i am not even going bother linking to these papers.

you can google them yourselves.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

colloidal silver,etc has been banned from sale as an unapproved drug by the FDA.

for approval you need to spend at least $200 million in trials and fees to the FDA.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

Sometimes it's not in our best interest to consider the whims of the FDA when your life is at stake.
I'm sure you can find a doctor in mexico who will hook you up.

There is plenty of research available for most to make a semi-informed decision about possibilities for their treatment - but getting them to go through with it, now there's a thing.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
If they have no drug that has been known to combat disease then the FDA has nothing to do with what you use to combat illness as long as you're not trying to sell any cure

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
To the people claiming silver will kill this: please do some basic research before posting nonsense.

One of the stains we use to identify and diagnose mycobacterium (tuberculosis) is silver-stain. It is a solution containing elemental and silver nitrate (enough to turn the solution silver, so it's not *that* dilute). The silver binds the outer layers of the mycobacterium cells, allowing us to visualize it. And guess what? IT DOESN'T KILL THEM.

This stain is less common than acid-fast staining (cheaper and faster), but the fact that we can silver stain these bacteria without killing them should tell you that it wouldn't work through injection or ingestion, either.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

The WHO won't call it tdr because theoretical drugs that don't exist yet may cure it. Be very concerned.

top topics

join