It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe and US Be Aware - Winter Is Returning...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
thats a pretty rapid decline in temperature although i'm not too worried living on the coast, we get the warming effect off the ocean southwest wind, it snows when the winds are northeasterly.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide
reply to post by jrmcleod

even though I read your post and loving it all the way.Just to be clear, for europe are you expecting snow blizzards ? ( your gut feeling ) Belgian here, so not to far from the UK.

Europe is proving far harder to detail. There can be more of an influence of martime air, which can have an effect on whether we get rain, sleet or snow in winter...it can be marginal at times.

I cant really say how the finer details of snowfall will pan out at this range for Europe as a whole but the signals are pointing to a cold if not very cold spell starting in eastern Europe and spreading west but how far west that gets is unclear at the moment...will know more over the weekend.

edit on 9/1/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Can i just ask why you are using perturbations
and not the mean?
Because one perturbation out of twenty is hardly accurate

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Well done. Two of our weathermen here suggested a big wintery chance around the 14th of January so what you say is on target with out guys. Still, I hope you are wrong
Im not a fan of cold weather. Though necessary to kill off the bugs, not a fan. Hopefully it wont stick around for long.

Curious, what are your thoughts on the bizzare drought?

Well since i'm in Scotland and all we have had for the past month or 2 is wind and rain...i cant really pass much of a coment.

All i can say is that it is normal by weather standards, maybe not by memory standards, its not something thats highly out of the ordinary...people need to remember that the air is in effect a liquid...it behaves the same as a liquid, the slightest difference in temperature, atmospheric angular momentum of the Earth, Jet Stream speed/direction, can all have an effect on how the air behaves. If there is blocking taking place preventing any type of wether happening its a result of ingredients in the atmosphere, not something man made. The biggest player, IMO, of how the weather behaves is atmospheric angular momentum.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Thanks for another well put together UK weather thread. Keep it up. Its useful to have a heads up a few days further out than the TV forecasts.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by remymartin

This thread is only to detail that there is a change coming with slight details as to what can be expected. Some models are predicting it whilst others are more reserved, but the fact that some are moving away from this autumnal weather is an indication of a change.

As i mentioned in my OP i will refine the thread over the weekend and at that point i will take into consideration more sources than the OP as to provide further details and hopefully a clearer view.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Ok no worries. we just need the pv to split and it will at some point.
sl

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

thank you. this is what i've been predicting will happen as well. i'm expecting snow here which is unusual. i'm thinking we'll beat our record low from last year.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A lot of great info op, but I'm that old now I remember bloody cold winters in the UK along with snowy ones and ones you thought was mild before getting a load of snow in March / April, so if it goes cold and snowy here in the UK between now and the end of April then it will be expected.

Wolfie

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Thank you OP for this very informative and interesting thread

I am amature weather watcher and have been leaning toward the same sort of out come toward the end of this month.
I will keep checking in on your thread.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
42 today and sunny in South west Michigan. Fridays supposed to be 22 with snow. We couldn't hide forever

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I dont know about where you live but here the "media" which I interpret as "the news" announces the weather about every 15 minutes or so during any broadcast so No HUSH HUSH from the media regarding weather.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Can I ask please. why this has you worried?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I would like to ask anyone on this thread to tell me please, why snow in winter is some kind of conspiracy or something. Its winter, and it gets cold. It happens every year. Some winters are milder than others. This year we are starting out mild. BIG DEAL. Its weather folks. Why would anyone worry about this.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

I dont know about where you live but here the "media" which I interpret as "the news" announces the weather about every 15 minutes or so during any broadcast so No HUSH HUSH from the media regarding weather.

Yes and here in the UK the major news comapnies give regular broadcasts of the weather too, however, what they dont do is tend to forecast more than a couple of days and if they do its with one sentence or a phrase of sorts.

What i'm doing is telling people that this mild weather that we have been locked in since winter began is coming to an end and to be ready for it.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I would like to ask anyone on this thread to tell me please, why snow in winter is some kind of conspiracy or something. Its winter, and it gets cold. It happens every year. Some winters are milder than others. This year we are starting out mild. BIG DEAL. Its weather folks. Why would anyone worry about this.

People aren't worried in the context that you are interpreting it. They are worried in the sense that it has been as though winter has missed us totally. It is, bear in mind only 40 days or so (in the UK) before spring arrives, so there is the potential for confusion and a bit of a second take that the weather has been unusually mild. The confusion arises from lack of knowledge and ability to understand the dynamics of weather...

This thread serves 2 purposes...

1. To illustrate that there are reasons why we are having this weather...well very simplified

and

2. To forewarn anyone who may live in areas that could potentially see some very cold weather if the models verify. Areas that have been used to the mild weather of late, such as Northern and Central USA.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

i don't think plain ole snow is what the op is talking about. i've lived on this planet for 42 years and the weather is becoming more and more unusual which (along with a lot of things) leads me to believe the climate is changing

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae

i don't think plain ole snow is what the op is talking about. i've lived on this planet for 42 years and the weather is becoming more and more unusual which (along with a lot of things) leads me to believe the climate is changing

wow ! WINTER IS RETURNING [ALERT THE MEDIA ] BREAKING NEWS ! IT GETS COLD IN WINTER! WOW
just had to pook a little fun at this thread .please wake me when summer gets hot lol

edit on 9-1-2012 by WilliamWallace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What is happening near south tip of Greenland? Sea water is 5°C degrees colder than usually this time? Is this effect of North Atlantic Oscillation? Same time there is warm spot between Iceland and Greenland, where sea water is 3°C degrees warmer.

From a thread by Thebel - with links
I can't link from my device

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
it dont surprise me this has happened before, and for every little action there is a reaction so its going to happen.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join