It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold Rush Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Is this show for real?

Or is it a complete piss take?

I can't believe in the ineptness of these guys.

It's frustrating!!! And because of that it's hard to stop watching, like a train wreck.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I thought it was just me being a jerk and second guessing people in a profession I know little about, but when the one crew FINALLY decided, on their second(possibly failing) season, to drill test holes before digging I realized that they are super amateur.

That being said. I spent a vacation afternoon watching a marathon.... so it is entertaining. I want to see the gold.

Edit: Seems I was referring to the "Hoffman crew" on my amateur comment. I'll second the comment below (Edit: niceguybob's post) that the check book doesn't quite balance on a lot of the crews. Thanks Discovery?
edit on 1/8/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/8/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Yes its a fully scripted train wreck.

The only thing that hooks you is seeing what disaster they are going to create next.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It's a shame it is so scripted, it could be quite interesting if it weren't.

I mean it is interesting, just in a different way,

God that old fart pisses me off with his squeaky voice

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I thought it was just me.

At least if it were a Train wreck, we could go melt down the Engin.

They have nothing if not for the Producers Cash to show the worst sense of logic with money I've ever seen.

I watched the series in one day over the holidays. I want that time back.

I could probably find more gold in my teeth before those guys get their chiat together.

Their autographs at the stoopid convention are now worth more money then their claim.

Good for them. I'll trade you a Bruce Jenner Card for a Miners card.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
You guys all complaining should realize that reality tv is and always has been scripted. Is there a show that's not heavily edited as well?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

You're still watching television?? That's so 2011....

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
While the show is falsified to the point of unbelievability...

You have to remember... there ARE people that go out and do this for a living. So while we are watching a crew screw-the-pooch on camera...

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people that have come before them to try their luck. That is exactly HOW the west and Alaska were founded...

Long live the American dream.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

You're still watching television?? That's so 2011....

Peace

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
You guys all complaining should realize that reality tv is and always has been scripted. Is there a show that's not heavily edited as well?

LOL of course there is some jack that wants to come along and be too cool for school. You have it all figured out don't you?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
LOL of course there is some jack that wants to come along and be too cool for school. You have it all figured out don't you?

You talkin' to me?

I do believe I was addressing my good friend Chadwickus with my post.

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

90% of my tv watching is d/ling off the net, straight after a show I'm interested in has aired.

And it's a small list too atm...

Bones
Big Bang Theory
Mythbusters
Top gear
House
Thundercats
Kitchen nightmares

Normal tv is reserved for the footy or cricket and sometimes golf.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I love watching the snippets on the Soup, from this show.

When put together, sounds dirty...they talk about the gloryhole, getting in deep, etc. It's hysterical.

For godsakes, one guy is even named Jack Hoffman (think about it, you'll get it)...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I've been watching it, but losing interest in it fast. I know every show out there teases and makes you wait to the next episode to see action, but this show takes it to a whole new level.

I've heard rumors of Hoffman finding some million dollar gold vain or something, and that will be next season.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
After seeing this thread I started watching the show.

Train wreck indeed!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

For godsakes, one guy is even named Jack Hoffman (think about it, you'll get it)...

I don't get it. But I'll keep thinking about it....

funny, I was going to post a thread about this show. yesterday I watched this show for the first time since last year.
And I was also appalled at their ineptness.
Cripes, I'm a blond female but I could seriously do better than all of them put together.
it's like none of them have a lick of sense.
for entertainment or not, how incredibly stupid can they be?
I'm headed over to check out the soup...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

I think it goes beyond ineptness, but that might be due to the train wreckness of the show...

But they just do stupid things.

Like when they first move to Porcupine Creek and got visited by bears, is it any wonder that a bear will come looking when the dolts are leaving food scraps and rubbish everywhere, tipping bacon fat out a few metres from the middle of the camp!

And then get all worked up when a little bear, and let's face it, as bears go the fella was little, turns up to see what's going on.

Instead of shooting any bears that coming investigating maybe they should have fenced their compound...much better way to protect the clueless people living there.

Argh and the old fart wth his squeaky voice! Needs to be put out of his misery, the stubborn old fool.

If you grease your machine properly, the tracks won't get jammed up!!!!

Greasing of my machines was part of the daily pre-start for me and these guys are driving the big excavator through the river and everything!

10 minutes a day saves possibly days of downtime.

OK rant over...there's a new ep I may or may not watch...I need to be in the right frame of mind,,,,IE suffer fools a little more gladly than I normally would

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Jack Hoff Man = sound it out....

The innuendo in that show is just too much...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Oh good grief. so obvious! daggone it that's funny. OK I get it now.

just now watching the next episode, I dunno if it's fresh or aired the other day. can't stop watching the train wreck I suppose.
and you're right, the innuendos are endless. it can't be by chance...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

If you grease your machine properly, the tracks won't get jammed up!!!! Greasing of my machines was part of the daily pre-start for me and these guys are driving the big excavator through the river and everything!

I have tried watching it but it really bugs the crap out of me with how amateur they are even with simple machinery operating and maintenance. I am a 3rd generation heavy machinery mechanic/operator who's favorite "toy" was an excavator. When I turned 10 I got my first experience with operating in a Cat 325 L excavator around the shop yard and was hooked, nothing like 30tons O' fun when your 10.

It literally makes me cringe at how bad the operate what could be very decent machinery. I mean the final drive seized up on the 400 why oh why did they even dik around with trying to pull it out, all they had to do was "lift and walk" with the boom. That's beyond amateur, it's down right stupidity.

Not to mention the fact that they were stupid enough to try to rush up until they were being snowed in to shut down the operation.They didn't even do the most basic winterization and storage procedures to protect the machinery. That is just mind boggling, especially in Alaska they have no idea how to care for or operate any of their equipment.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I take more care in winterizing my car and outside machinery than these guys do with expensive equipment....

How could there be? (no editing) For a given reality show, they have to have hundreds of hours worth of footage, then edit down to something to air. Would you really want to see unscripted reality? You can if you want. Just watch a couple of hours of Big Brother...you used to be able to see it online, the live feeds. You'll be bored off your butt after 10 minutes, I guarantee it.

There are plenty that are unscripted though, Survivor, for example. Can just seem that way in the way they edit most shows though. There's a LOT you can do when choosing which parts to air. You could make a sweet girl look like a train wreck, etc., if you only air her bad moments.

top topics

join