It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

quotes I think apply from some American presidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I just wanted to list a couple quotes some I believe in...some show a dark mentality.....some are just true....or ironic....either way.....I placed them in their order on purpose.....

Harry Truman
------------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------------- -------------------------------
If you can't convince them, confuse them.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Intense feeling too often obscures the truth.

It is understanding that gives us an ability to have peace.

When we understand the other fellow's viewpoint, and he understands ours, then we can sit down and work out our differences.

The Marine Corps is the Navy's police force and as long as I am President that is what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin's.

The only things worth learning are the things you learn after you know it all.

The reward of suffering is experience.

To hell with them. When history is written they will be the sons of bitches - not I. ------more like rewritten

We shall never be able to remove suspicion and fear as potential causes of war until communication is permitted to flow, free and open, across international boundaries.

When you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship. -----YUP

You can never get all the facts from just one newspaper, and unless you have all the facts, you cannot make proper judgments about what is going on.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
------------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------------------- -------------------------------
Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows.

Disarmament, with mutual honor and confidence, is a continuing imperative.

Don't think you are going to conceal thoughts by concealing evidence that they ever existed.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

I deplore the need or the use of troops anywhere to get American citizens to obey the orders of constituted courts.

I despise people who go to the gutter on either the right or the left and hurl rocks at those in the center.

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.

I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem - and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?

I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it.

If men can develop weapons that are so terrifying as to make the thought of global war include almost a sentence for suicide, you would think that man's intelligence and his comprehension... would include also his ability to find a peaceful solution.

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

In most communities it is illegal to cry "fire" in a crowded assembly. Should it not be considered serious international misconduct to manufacture a general war scare in an effort to achieve local political aims?

Only Americans can hurt America.

Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free.

Only strength can cooperate. Weakness can only beg.

Peace and justice are two sides of the same coin.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
If civilization is to survive, we must cultivate the science of human relationships - the ability of all peoples, of all kinds, to live together, in the same world at peace.

If you treat people right they will treat you right... ninety percent of the time.
In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

It is the duty of the President to propose and it is the privilege of the Congress to dispose.

Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us.

The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country.

Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.

More than an end to war, we want an end to the beginning of all wars - yes, an end to this brutal, inhuman and thoroughly impractical method of settling the differences between governments.

Physical strength can never permanently withstand the impact of spiritual force.

Rules are not necessarily sacred, principles are.

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the government.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.

The United States Constitution has proved itself the most marvelously elastic compilation of rules of government ever written.

Those newspapers of the nation which most loudly cried dictatorship against me would have been the first to justify the beginnings of dictatorship by somebody else.

True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

Whoever seeks to set one religion against another seeks to destroy all religion.

www.brainyquote.com...

edit on 7-1-2012 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

join