It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Earth Quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I just noticed this as I was taking a peek at the RSOE. Now I realize that a 2.3 isnt really a big deal, and I also realize eq's can happen pretty much anywhere, but I just thought the fact that it was Oklahoma and a full moon, it might just be something to keep a eye on tonight. Who knows....

Maybe some members from there felt something or can clue in on if it is normal for them or not?

RSOE Oklahoma quake
edit on 7/1/12 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

It has nothing to do with the moon. There was a quake in the same area a couple days ago. About the same magnitude as well.
Heres an article from November discussing the string of mild quakes.
www.nytimes.com...
edit on 7-1-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

It's been quite awhile since I've felt one (NW corner of state). Really only noticed the 5.6/6.0 - whichever they finally settled on - and a few of the aftershocks over the next few weeks following.

I know we've had the small ones since, they're just not noticeable. More activity than we're used to lately though, yes.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Oklahoma earthquakes used to be unheard of....now it seems to be a fairly regular event here recently. I wonder what could be causing that? drilling perhaps? Naww... They insist it's harmless. Oklahoma and Texas both never were what someone would call earthquake country at all. Times change....with a little help.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Oklahoma earthquakes used to be unheard of....now it seems to be a fairly regular event here recently. I wonder what could be causing that? drilling perhaps? Naww... They insist it's harmless. Oklahoma and Texas both never were what someone would call earthquake country at all. Times change....with a little help.

Just like how rare quakes are here in ohio and now they have been happening.. and there's drilling going on here too .. no way it could be related ..
.. /sarcasm

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
So now they are telling us that they know about the relationship between fracking and earthquakes.

And they can control how big that quake is by how much fluid they inject into the ground.

Nice.

McGarr and his team studied seven cases of quakes induced by fluid injection. They included the Oklahoma fracking site where 8,900 cubic metres were injected; a scientific bore hole in Germany, where an injection of 200 cubic metres of salt water caused a magnitude 1.4 earthquake; a geothermal-energy project on the outskirts of Basel, Switzerland, that was terminated after an injection of 11,600 cubic metres of water triggered a series of quakes of magnitude up to 3.4; another in Cooper Basin, Australia, where a 20,000-cubic-metre injection resulted in a magnitude 3.7 quake; and a liquid-waste-disposal project in Colorado in the 1960s, where an injection of 631,000 cubic metres triggered earthquakes of magnitude up to 5, the largest yet seen as a result of fluid injection.

www.nature.com...

Lets just pump a billion gallons in there and get it over with.
edit on 7-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
You might want to give this thread by Robin a glance. It is a pretty big read, so just breeze through if you are really interested. Lots of good info in there.

Might as well get used to seeing them pop up there from time to time. Looks like they won't stop in the near future.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have noticed a general in crease in the whole south usa....Texas, North Carolina....Alabama even had a small one the other day......that is NOT normal. Texas has had quite a few this year.

new topics

top topics

join