It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First cases of totally drug resistant TB in India, one dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

First cases of totally drug resistant TB in India, one dead

www.dnaindia.com

This is as scary as it can get. The PD Hinduja hospital detected four people with total drug resistant (TDR) tuberculosis (TB), the first such cases in the country till November last year. In the last two months, eight others have been detected with TDR-TB.

Of the 12 patients, a 31-year-old woman from Dharavi died in November 2011. She underwent a surgery to remove one of the infected lungs before she passed away. Doctors say the condition is a result of inappropriate treatment of TB patients in private clinics. A person with TB can infect 15 people a year and cause an epidemic, according t
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
chestjournal.chestpubs.org
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
mrc.ac.ir... ation%20at%20the%20cellular%20.pdf

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Possibly a game changer for hospital treatment, the infirmed, the young, and the very old. Though harping about the evils of Vaccine use has been in... the one thing modern medicine has done for us is cure serious bacterial infections... I know of few who won't take antibiotics for the clap, serious infections, or TB.. Following up with links from some of the med journals below...

www.dnaindia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Now this story is chilling in a way few others can be. If this is true and alternatives aren't found before it may spread further...I guess it's back to the asylums the world and America saw earlier in history. What other option is there? It's a real bad thing to imagine the days back when all they could do is warehouse the infected and give some comfort and A LOT of isolation while they wait to die.

Here is hoping Medicine has a few miracles left up it's sleeve.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

When they say that history repeats itself they sure aren't kidding around are they?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I could not agree more... Let modern medicine win one.. here..

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It is only a question of time, drug resistant tb has been around in Africa since 2006. If you know evolution, or understand biology then it only makes perfect sense that it had to happen sooner or later. I am not going to go into a lecture mode about the predator-prey, the Red-Queen or evolutionary arms race hypotheses (you can Google it).

on second thought, I will include some links to it.
For every step we take in eradicating some bacterial disease, guess what, nature follows it, and her arsenal is unlimited, unlike ours. Here are some links that makes for interesting reading. Now I know some ATS'ers just hate Wikipedia, but I still include 2 wikipedia links.
the red queen hypothesis
en.wikipedia.org...
pespmc1.vub.ac.be...
en.wikipedia.org...

This article shows that the WHO was concerned about the rise of drug-resistant TB in Africa since 2006.
www.who.int...

more about drug resistant tb in Africa
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
wwwnc.cdc.gov...
allafrica.com...
edit on 7/1/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join