It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diamond Weevil Studded with Advanced Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I found this rather interesting. I was not sure where to put it so mods feel free to move if need be

This is really an amazing little bug.

These insect "diamonds" are not made of carbon like the diamonds in a jewelry store, but instead contain the same sugar-based molecules called chitin that comprise the rest of their outer cuticle. But the 3-dimensional arrangement of the sugar molecules is precise and orderly. In their report published in the Journal of the Royal Society Interface, the researchers called them "biological photonic crystals that act as wavelength-specific reflectors."1

The crystal-construction techniques employed by both butterflies and weevils so far exceed the current technological capacities of mankind that engineers are going to try using these insects' organizational tactics as a template to produce new photonic materials.

In both cases, the study authors credited nature or evolution with the origin of these fine structures. But if insect technology is beyond the capability of intelligent people, then shouldn't it rather be attributed to a source with even greater intelligence than man? Nature has no intelligence and no intelligence proxy, leaving a divine Creator as the only possible cause.4 And He rightly deserves the credit for these brilliant biological structures.

www.icr.org...

I have said it before and I will say it again, "What we know thus far is only a drop in the ocean to all there is yet to learn"

So any ideas on what types of photonic materials they hope to create using the this little jewel?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

'It's a diamond-like cubic lattice,' says Wilts. 'It has the same symmetry as diamonds, but instead of being made from carbon atoms, it's a very complicated structure made from networks of chitin and networks of air.'

'This is far beyond materials science as far as I know,' says Wilts.

There are several limitations on what humans can construct at this scale - such as what we can cut cleanly with lasers. The complex, tiny 'crystal' here would simply be beyond our reach.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

AMAZING!!!

edit on 6-1-2012 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I'm not sure what they plan to create, but awesome find!
Its amazing that an insect has such a feature, but I find the instant attribute to a "Creator" a little random/unwarranted, because we cannot beat natures design/complexion? we've only been alive for such a fraction of time in such an enormous universe! the fact we're even living is a miracle! Life is truly stranger than we could ever imagine.

At first I thought this bug was literally studded by humans!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twelvemonkeyss

I'm not sure what they plan to create, but awesome find!
Its amazing that an insect has such a feature, but I find the instant attribute to a "Creator" a little random/unwarranted, because we cannot beat natures design/complexion? we've only been alive for such a fraction of time in such an enormous universe! the fact we're even living is a miracle! Life is truly stranger than we could ever imagine.

At first I thought this bug was literally studded by humans!

Random/unwarranted?

Naa, some us just stand in awe of things like this little bug and can not fathom how it could have come about by a series of accidents and coincidences.

Thanks for the comment monkeyss.
Quad

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'm not trying to derail your thread, as I think this is truly an amazing discovery however...This is coming from the Institute for Creation Research, a right-leaning, pro-creationist institution.

Does this make a difference? Possibly.

As I said, I think this is awesome, and if corroborated by other sources, could prove to be a step closer to mainstream acceptance of the legitimacy of the creationist theory.

Either way, S&F

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The discovery of a novel crystal lattice in an insect, cool... how does this buttress the creationist argument at all?

top topics

join