It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 or 3 trains in an accident in northwest Indiana with chemical spill.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Source

Two trains, one including cars carrying ethanol, were involved in an accident around 1:15 p.m. Friday (2:15 p.m. ET) in Porter County, Indiana, authorities said.

Aerial video footage showed smoke and flames rising from jumbled train cars. It was not clear how the trains made impact.

There was no immediate word on casualties.

Ethanol "is a very volatile flammable liquid and it will take multiple units from the fire department to douse and put this out, said David James of the county's highway department. Area roads were been blocked off.

Well this sounds interesting.

Another Source

In most other stories I could find about it, and when I heard it on TV they have no idea what chemical they were carrying, but CNN seems to know. I'm not too sure if that's the only thing they were carrying, as it is already burning according to people around with reports of black smoke.

I hope this turns out to be nothing, and just a little fire that was from an accident. I hope it's not something that could be dangerous if leaked.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

ETA: I have also heard report of three trains being involved. I think it is still so new that people are just throwing things out.

edit on 6-1-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Source

A collision of three CSX Transportation trains caused a massive chemical fire and possible hazardous chemical spill Friday afternoon in northwest Indiana, according to published reports.

No fatalities were reported. Two crew members were taken to the hospital, but law enforcement officials said their injuries aren’t life-threatening, according to the Chicago Tribune. They were listed in stable condition, a hospital spokesman told CBS Chicago.

The newspaper reported one freight train was stopped for an unknown reason when a second train struck it from behind. The third train traveling westbound on separate tracks could not avoid the two derailed trains and crashed into them, a source told the newspaper.

Here is a report of three trains being involved.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Thats not good... I work at an ethanol plant. Ethanol burns at such a high temperature that there is no flame. Dangerous stuff. Can be on fire and you won't even know it.

new topics

join