It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New North Korean leader issued military orders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

New North Korean leader issued military orders

www.cnn.com

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- Kim Jong Un issued his first military orders as leader of North Korea just before the death of his father was announced, a South Korean state-run news agency said Wednesday.

Citing "a South Korean source," Yonhap reported that Kim "ordered all military units to halt field exercises and training and return to their bases."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It is said to be executed for preventing defectors plus, I think, a possible gathering and coup... but it could be for possible briefings before a future large scale exercise?

Certainly they cannot make "all troops" return, for there a few division in and around the DMZ.

We'll see where this goes...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

...it could be for possible briefings before a future large scale exercise?

This would be my guess...considering tension in the world is at the breaking point.

Between Iran issuing threats...and the US throwing threats right back...I wouldn't be surprised if North Korea isn't preparing to defend themselves too!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
in france tv they are saying that he is starting to open the borders and airports for people ho whants to enter in nord coreia hi think this guy doesnt whant war and famine anymore^^
t lesat hi hope so f** the war

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I read that its almost a sort of tradition for the new North Korea leaders to order a military strike to prove to the people that they are in fact a great leader. It will be interesting to see what turns out in that region.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Most likely all military exercises were just cancelled because he wanted everyone to stop and pay respects the dead leader.
Also giving them a break to mourn will also allow them to reflect and enjoy free time to make the former leader appear more endearing. I would say it is nothing more than a "holiday."

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by heyitsphil

I kinda expected Un to do something as both an homage to his father and to solidify his power. I had read somewhere that the shelling of that island last year (or year before?) had something to do with Un and the succession. Hell for all we know his father died a year ago and he shelled that island as an homage and to show his control then.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Or is Kim Jong Un planning to reunify North an South Korea like the game Homefront?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I doubt that the new leader will make attempts at reunifying the korean peninsula, he would have showed signs of it already. I also think that if we were to try and do that he would probably be killed, the North Koreans take their lifestyle very seriously, and almost all of the population has been raised to hate the outside.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

a possible gathering and coup...

A coup against himself?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

a possible gathering and coup...

A coup against himself?

Military leaders and commander against him.. Yes. Some of these Generals have been serving North Korea since their WAS a North Korea and now they have to take orders from a kid?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

To clarify, you think Kim Jong Un may take action against the "old guard" who may not respect him? I can see it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It does seem odd considering when Un took over he was not the Supreme leader. His government is not absolute, as he shares power with his uncle as well as the Military.

It was only a few days ago that the North proclaimed him head of the military. Maybe he did some house keeping so to speak to find the military support, and this is a continuation (purge) to solidify that position. Just because this guy is young doesnt mean he is stupid. In actuality being that young, stupid and completely lost on how the world works makes him more dangerous than his predecessors.

In this case he doesnt exactly have the experience to balance out the ambition. He also has to do more to "prove" himself. Since he has never been challenged, he doesnt know what its like on a global scale, so over reaction is definitely a concern.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think youll be better off comparing UN to a prince ....trained and schooled by the old guard and nurtured in the arts of both war and command.
The sussession may not go smoothly, but i doubt there will be any wrinkles for UN...this is what the Asiatics seem to do best......transfer power to the young prince and continue on after the death of a leader.....
I imagine that the military has had its go at educating the youngster too, and if he is well respected by them, they will continue to stand by him loyally.
We know so little of what the boy is really like...its not gonna be easy to predict his reactions to international politics and pressures.....
I believe he must be pretty mature for his age considering his priviledged life.....

new topics

top topics

join