It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If 2012 will really have a doomsday, do you really think that "survivalists" have any chances of s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
A doomsday is exactly that: a doomsday.

A real doomsday can not be "survived". Otherwise it's not doomsday.

If the Mayans really predicted a "doomsday", you can be sure that they prepared a REAL doomsday for us... They will leave no room for "survivalists".

How the "survivalist" plans are supposed to work if the Earth is shaken by 10 thousand earthquakes of magnitude 9.8 in less than 24 hours, and all the supervolcano calderas on Earth blow up at the same time, and then the planet cracks in 5 different pieces floating in the space, with hot magma flying around?

Can anyone "survive" that?

So, why worry about 2012?

If the Mayans were wrong, nothing will happen, and life goes on as usual in 2013.

If the Mayans were right, there is nothing that you can do about that. You won't survive. Nobody can survive the "doomsday". So, why be worried? If you believe in the afterlife, then you have even less reasons to be worried...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

The reason people buy into these prophecies, other than being gullible, is because they feel the world needs to change, but they're actually too lazy to do anything about it. So, they place all their hopes on these "end of the world" scenarios. However, they all also see themselves as special and therefore they'll survive the EOTW and be able to see the changed world they wanted in the first place.
edit on 1/6/2012 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
However, on the flip side, if there is any chance at all for survival, it will be the survivalists that would live through it as they have made preparations.
edit on 6-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
First off, the Mayans did not predict a "Doomsday", they said it will be a rebirth. It will be the end of the world as we know it. Which does not mean doomsday, it just means an end to the corrupt, unjust world we live in today.

Secondly, even if there was to be a "doomsday" I'm still going to do everything in my power to survive, because I have a little thing call preservation of life.

Thirdly, we dont need a Mayan calender to tell us that things are about to go to sh**. Just take a look around at all the worldwide chaos. Collapsing nations, riots/protest, corupt governments, wars. So just taking a look outside should be enough for you to say" Hmm..... maybeI should get my sh** together just incase somthing bad happens".

Survival preperation is called 'insurance'
just dont let it rule your life, get what you need and try to be the best you that you can be, everyday.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

man....read up on some real SNIP please.

why does everyone keep talking about the end of the world and the mayans? their prediction for 2012 was not the end of the world...merely the end of an age. their "apocalypse" prediction was merely a prediction of some sort of enlightenment and/or rising in earth's and man's consciousness. nothing about the end of the world...only some earth changes, which are undoubtedly occurring in these days.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Doomsday? I am not aware of the Mayans predicting any Doomsday- at leats not in the sense you described (in that no one would survive). I have heard of them predicting a huge transition, in which the current society and technology might fall apart and have to start rebuilding all over again. I think that is possible, and I think if survivalists have been working on knowing how to live without much of our current technology, they might stand a better chance of surviving such a fall than those who haven't.

But I think even survivalists don't expect it to be a guarantee.....( I guess I need to admit I'm one of them. ) but when I started to feel this coming on (before I ever heard of the Mayan prophecies!) I wasn't comfortble feeling that and doing nothing. It is amazing how the energy such thoughts in the head can be burned with action of some sort that makes it not stagnate and become fear or anxiety.

It's kind of like when you are in school, and you know you have a huge and difficult exam coming up, studying as hard as you can for weeks beforehand keeps the stress away! The last few days, you come to a peaceful mind and fatalistic approach- I know I've done what I could, all that I could do. Now it shall play out as it will, I might pass or I might not, but I did what I could. You feel calm those last days while everyone who didn't study so hard starts to hyperventilate and shake.
Feeling like I prepared as much as possible leaves me peace of mind and acceptance of whatever will be- whether that be my death, my suffering, or my survival.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Although they did say rebirth, they also said that the new age would be ushered in by the destruction of the one before it. Destruction could be, end of money, end of war...etc. It doesn't actually have to be doomsday.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Pretty much yep!
While I agree that nobody can survive the end of the world.
But I will be ready to survive and most probably enjoy the end of the world as we know it.
It does not take much, just some tools, seeds, a bit of know how, and most of all friends.
I'm not a survivalist, I'm a thrivalist.
I wanna live not survive.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Excellent point you made there on the insurance idea, it is how I sold my wife on prepping.
See, we have 6 kids and we raised them well but she always worried about budget vs food.
I told her people buy home insurance, life insurance (actually death insurance, go figure,,,), car insurance, hell some folks actually insure parts of their body, but why no true "life insurance"?
Sure you cannot plan for everything but for every avenue you shore up you gain more comfort.
And piece of mind is valuable.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
"What, Me Worry?
Alfred E. Neuman

edit on 6-1-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
Doomsday? I am not aware of the Mayans predicting any Doomsday- at leats not in the sense you described (in that no one would survive). I have heard of them predicting a huge transition, in which the current society and technology might fall apart and have to start rebuilding all over again. I think that is possible, and I think if survivalists have been working on knowing how to live without much of our current technology, they might stand a better chance of surviving such a fall than those who haven't.

But I think even survivalists don't expect it to be a guarantee.....( I guess I need to admit I'm one of them. ) but when I started to feel this coming on (before I ever heard of the Mayan prophecies!) I wasn't comfortble feeling that and doing nothing. It is amazing how the energy such thoughts in the head can be burned with action of some sort that makes it not stagnate and become fear or anxiety.

It's kind of like when you are in school, and you know you have a huge and difficult exam coming up, studying as hard as you can for weeks beforehand keeps the stress away! The last few days, you come to a peaceful mind and fatalistic approach- I know I've done what I could, all that I could do. Now it shall play out as it will, I might pass or I might not, but I did what I could. You feel calm those last days while everyone who didn't study so hard starts to hyperventilate and shake.
Feeling like I prepared as much as possible leaves me peace of mind and acceptance of whatever will be- whether that be my death, my suffering, or my survival.

Bravo! This is the line of thinking 'Doomsday' predictions should evoke, not the hysterical fear-mongering that is so common these days. There is nothing wrong with Preparedness.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Most internet survival "experts" and "enthusiasts" would not survive a continental disaster, much less a global one.

Many "survivalists" are like myself, who do not see this as preparation for some imaginary "impending doom"
They see this as a hobby. Im 43, and yes, I can survive in the North American wilderness with very few supplies and a few basic tools..but I grew up camping and hunting, and these things are just part of growing up for me.

Same as the geek that spends 12 hours a day glued to a computer for no paycheck. It's a hobby for outdoorsmen who like to test their skills in the wild.
No, most don't think we will ever actually have to use these skills to survive in the 21st century.

Do you think most martial artists want to fight everyone around them? Do you think Iaido and Kendo practicioners expect to sword fight with neighboring shoguns armies?

No, most survivalists wouldn't survive a real major SHTF situation, but neither would you.
That said, the ones that do survive, will be the people everyone else turns to for help.
In a minor SHTF situation.. the survivalists will be the ones who are more comfortable than anyone else.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

I guess we are all thinking along the same lines these days. I am retired and watch, read, absorb information most of my time because I don't sleep well. My thoughts after combining current events with the prophecies, is that we are definitely headed for a cataclysm. I think it will reach a breaking piont in 2013. I think it will be a global economic cataclysm where all currency is worthless and gold won't buy you bread and there are no more woods or open land to hunt for food. Yes, I think it will get that bad before we emerge something different. The passage of NDAA convinced me. I think survivalists or anyone with wit and skills will have it easier.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
No matter what, in a real SHTF scenario, all your preparations will do is help you make it through the first few months, when most people will die. After that, your BRAIN filled with knowledge and skills, and the ability to solve complex problems, is what will matter. Dummies will die either way. Even smart ones can be unlucky and die. Those who are both smart and lucky will pull through.

For example, a worldwide flood. Only those lucky enough to be in Tibet or high in the Andes in Chile would survive. Even then, the dumb ones probably wouldn't survive the aftermath, except maybe by being enslaved by the smart ones.

I figure WW3 is a much more likely scenario, and soon. Much worse than any comet or flood could be.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It's for me just an excuse to buy really cool stuff...

2nd

top topics

join