It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to hold new naval drill near strait of Hormuz - Round 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Iran to hold new naval drill near strait of Hormuz

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran is planning new military exercises near the strategic Strait of Hormuz, according to a naval commander, after threatening to close the strait and completing another set of maneuvers.

One sixth of the world's oil passes through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran's threat to close the passage if the West imposes sanctions on its own oil exports unsettled an already nervous world oil market.

The semiofficial Fars news agency late Thursday quoted the Iranian Revolutionary Guard's naval commander, Adm. Ali Fadavi, as saying that the upcoming exercise would be the seventh staging of an annual drill called "The Great Prophet."

Fadavi said the next round of war games would be "different" from previous ones. He did not elaborate. The admiral said the drill would take place in the Iranian month of Bahman, which roughly corresponds to February.

The Guards, Iran's most powerful military force, have the same air, naval and ground branches as the regular military. They are also in charge of Iran's missile program.

Iran's navy ended a 10-day drill Tuesday in the waters off the Strait.

Military officers said the purpose was to show off Iran's prowess and defense capabilities.

edit on 6-1-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Round 2....

Something new? This should be interesting.

So this is the new battlefiled? Tit for tat military exercises? Im not sure if its one of the most idiotic or one of the most brilliant manners to get rid of war.

Whoever holds the best maneuvers wins by proxy?

Response to the announced drills with Israel and the US?

Response to Japan and S. Korea ending oil contracts with Iran?

Could the drills in reality be a diversion? Iran threatened to close the straights if sanctions were passed on their oil. The sanctions were passed.. What if the drill is nothing but a diversion to allow Iranian forces to get into place and do their thing for a few hours / days before the west realizes its the actual blockade?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Its obvious that this is not a drill, its to make sure they they are ready at all times and have all their bases covered without having to cause panic and announce that they are on high alert.

Probably the exact same reason the US is having unplanned drills close by

The sheep will stay blind to it, but at least a few can see what might be coming

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
X i have been muttering the same kind of rhetoric ...i dont think these "drills" are merely for training.....
I think it entirely possible that the straights of hormuz are getting mined with some form of command activated mines or lay and forget torpedo installations which will be entirely passive till they get the firing command...where upon they will activate seeking sensors find their targets and launch independantly of further commands.
This is simply one alternative open to the Iranis during the naval drills....
The Vietcong practiced this meticulous battlefield preparation tactic to great advantage in vietnam.....
This is a way to multiply forces with small cost or technical developement, as everything comes off the shelf as it were........
Think about the copper shells which were used to great effect in Iraq to focus ied explosions into plasma which penetrate armour....
A simple hammered sheet trples the exlosive power of the ied.......
I dont think american might is capable of anticipating the full range of options open to a country that has the Iranian resources,and id deemimg itself ot be fighting for its very existance.....
I am not a prophet by any means but i urge the US military to caution if they intend to charge down the straighjts to reopen them if blocked.
Thats what theyll have to do sooner or later.....

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Maybe we should televise it and let people vote on each stage of the manuver. Might be popular you know. I mean who would have ever thought submarine racing would be so exciting. play with your toys and make some money

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
They both america and iran are nit picking the smartest thing iran could of done is carried out the drill with with out telling anyone,an american aircraft carrier will probably show up now

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It is in Iran's best interest to escalate tensions in that area to jack up the price of oil, that's a given. Provided they stay within the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) this posturing will continue from both sides. Everyone is well aware that they cannot and will not shut down this vital shipping route for petroleum exports. For the Iranians to conduct these drills (within the measures of the law) is a sure way to keep the price of oil moving higher. It's a shrewd tactic

There's a good article on ZeroHedge yesterday expanding on this same notion. The concept is to drive oil prices down to the point that it could cause economic instability to the theocracy or Iran. Piss the people off enough and a revolution is inevitable. There's been a failed history of course with these attempts primarily orchestrated by the CIA and the Mossad.

Want to Put Iran Out of Business? Here's How

brill

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
"In 'Great Prophet VI' Maneuvers, Iran Fires 14 Ballistic Missiles; IRGC Dep. Cmdr: Iran Won't Initiate Attack – But Response Will Be 'Purely Aggressive'"

www.thememriblog.org...

I wonder how "Great Prophet VII" is supposed to be different!

Maybe this is the difference.

"The number seven is a key symbol in many Muslim cultural productions, both secular and religious, including art, architecture, folklore, literature, and ritual practices. There are approximately twenty-five references made to the number seven in the Qur'an the sacred text of Muslims. These references usually concern the seven heavens, the seven periods of creation, seven groups of things, or seven individuals, such as the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus. An allusion made to the number seven in the Qur'an typically includes references to God as the all-powerful creator. Thus, the number seven is directly linked to the power of the divine and has great symbolic value as an expression of Muslim belief and the miracles of God."

www.wadsworth.com...

edit on 6-1-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

edit on 6-1-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I think it entirely possible that the straights of hormuz are getting mined with some form of command activated mines

YES , I agree with you , but the US will be watching from above via satellite and using whatever technology is needed. Iran has a bunch of toys to use , the US owns Toys R Us, not a fair fight.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TBR47
They both america and iran are nit picking the smartest thing iran could of done is carried out the drill with with out telling anyone,an american aircraft carrier will probably show up now

Conducting military exercises in international waters requires prior notification. Without notification, its hard to claim its just an exercise.

reply to post by Deetermined

I was curious what might be different. The only thing I see is the newest exercise looks like it will be conducted by the IRG instead of the regular military..

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

I was curious what might be different. The only thing I see is the newest exercise looks like it will be conducted by the IRG instead of the regular military..

Other reports show that the IRGC has been involved in all of the past "Great Prophet" exercises. I have noticed that the last two exercises involved the testing of 14 missiles. I wonder if that number will change or if the exercise altogether will be different.

It looks like the IRGC just started a new ground military exercise code-named "Martyrs of Unity".

english.farsnews.com...

edit on 8-1-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

top topics

join