It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raspberry Pi is here at last. How will you use yours?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
After a wait that can only be described as absolute torture......The R-Pi is finally here.

www.ebay.co.uk...

www.raspberrypi.org...

Apparently the production line models($25 & $35) are coming out in a month.

I plan on making a print server(for the home network) out of one and another is going to display engine specs(temp, fuel consumption, etc) for a four stroke engine in a 4x4.

How will you use yours?

edit on 5/1/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
If its possible im going to buy a whole bunch of them and create a render farm for 3D Graphics

Would be awesome if i could get something like Bryce Lightening running on them

edit on 5-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
My desk is in desperate need of something to level out the legs.
I wonder if this, jammed under one of the legs, would do the trick

all kidding aside, i'll probably just use a book for now, dont have the 25 bucks...

but i am interested in what others would use it for

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Very cool, I like the fact it can handle 1080p H.264 video. So maybe it could be used to make a cheap DVR box.

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
After a wait that can only be described as absolute torture......The R-Pi is finally here.

Yeah that's how I feel about the AmigaOne X1000, still waiting...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Weren't these supposed to be super cheap to get more folks into programming?

Hmmm,well they aint cheap on Ebay-you could buy a decent laptop for less.
Or am I missing something?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Weren't these supposed to be super cheap to get more folks into programming?

Hmmm,well they aint cheap on Ebay-you could buy a decent laptop for less.
Or am I missing something?

Those on ebay are the first 10 ever produced. People are bidding for them because they are buying a piece of history and are bound to be worth a lot more in years to come. As soon as they go into general production they will be sold at a normal price.

edit on 6-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I am attempting to curb my enthusiasm, but it ain't easy.

I'm going to try replacing my mini ITX CarPuter with a pi.
I am now monitoring Boost Pressure, Oil temp, Water Temp, and Air/Fuel Ratio with an old serial port dataq data acquisition module. I'm putting in the newer usb version from here www.dataq.com... Windows currently allows me to use evoscan to look at all the ecu parameters, while these four channels connect to the sensors directly, and can alarm from the background.

My problem is that I developed the old system with visual basic, and I need to do some new coding if "wine" won't do.

I'm also pumped about the power usage, so a Bike mounted media center will be an option I want to look at.
I see this device at about half this size and enclosed within a year.

Internet Appliance, here we come! Heck I could strap one on grandma, and post her vitals to the net. We would not only know if she fell, but that food was going in and out. GPS shows granny is positioned on the toilet. Add a head mounted granny cam for slow motion action!

For the 35 buck price, you can stick it on the vesa mt. on any flat pnl. and go surf.
I hope it will load a few different distros such as Puppy and Knoppix.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by assspeaker

Internet Appliance, here we come! Heck I could strap one on grandma, and post her vitals to the net. We would not only know if she fell, but that food was going in and out.

Excellent idea. Nursing homes would be able to monitor residents vital statistics and position with great accuracy. If a patient/resident were to have a heart attack, not only could their condition be broadcast to staff, but also the patient's location and a complete medical history.

GPS shows granny is positioned on the toilet. Add a head mounted granny cam for slow motion action!

Argh! Technology abuse

It does pose the question though.....If granny dropped her false teeth in to the toilet, would you really want to know?

new topics

top topics

join