It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first iphone garageband tune. What do you guys reckon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This is my first effort at making a tune on garageband for iphone. My first effort at making a tune on anything, in fact.

Please forgive the pics. They were all I had on this computer.. Gonna try and do a vid this weekend.

What do y'all reckon? More bass and drums needed? Vocals? I've only used up 5 tracks so far, thus have another 3 to use.

Anyone else use garageband out there? I'm well up for some collaboration. Especially with a female singer and bass player.

Your comments would be appreciated, but please be kind
This is my first effort, afterall

Have a wickidly wicked 2012!!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Not too shabby for a first attempt. The keys give it a cool and interesting vibe.

If I were to give some constructive criticism, I would say adding some variations to the drums would be the first thing that stands out. Perhaps some hi-hats and a few snare/tom fills here and there would round out the drum track a little more. Keep truckin'.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
HAvent listened to it all, but I have 1 piece of advice that I always end up giving to people new to making music.

CUT DOWN THE INTRO

I dont know why but every noob seems to put huge intros, hell I did it myself when I first started. MAke it last no longer than 15 seconds. Doesnt mean you have to have everything crashing in after those 15 seconds, but give your song some sort of definitive beginning. To you its obvious when your song kicks in, but for other people who havent sat there for an hour making it you have to make it really obvious, with big signs and arrows everywhere going HERE IT IS!!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xMoralDeclinex
Not too shabby for a first attempt. The keys give it a cool and interesting vibe.

If I were to give some constructive criticism, I would say adding some variations to the drums would be the first thing that stands out. Perhaps some hi-hats and a few snare/tom fills here and there would round out the drum track a little more. Keep truckin'.

Cheers MD!

I hear you about the drums. I'll have a play and see if I can improve them.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lazernation

Wow, you made this on an iphone? Pretty amazing if you ask me but then I'm a musical computer noob. Anyway, it sounds very polished and well constructed and reminds me a little of the Tubular Bells intro part. Very cool, keep it up!

As for what to add, I have no idea, it sounds kinda complete to me as it is.
Perhaps a nice electric guitar sound for a little ethereal solo work or picking out the melody in places? There are others here who will be better to help you with specifics.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

HaHa
It's difficult not to try and make an epic on your first attempt, but I agree with you. All the stuff I've started tends to run for a minute before they get going! I shall try to be more disciplined!

Cheers for the comment, mate..

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Wow, you made this on an iphone? Pretty amazing if you ask me but then I'm a musical computer noob. Anyway, it sounds very polished and well constructed and reminds me a little of the Tubular Bells intro part. Very cool, keep it up!

As for what to add, I have no idea, it sounds kinda complete to me as it is.
Perhaps a nice electric guitar sound for a little ethereal solo work or picking out the melody in places? There are others here who will be better to help you with specifics.

Thanks, LS!

Yep, it was all done on iphone. I was astonished at what you can do with the app. I've only had it a couple of weeks and can't put the bugger down!

I did think about guitar myself. I just bought a connector for guitar to phone and will play at the weekend..

Thanks again!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Very nice!
I haven't come across that before.
I just got Irig for my guitar,and I'm still playing around with it with amplitude.
It is way cool and cheaper than buying all that equipment.
I say keep experimenting and keep the groove going.

edit on 4-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Cheers KD.

I just got irig too. Sounds brilliant with Amplitude. Sooooo cheap for the quality of sound! I'm having trouble with it in garageband though. The sound quality isn't half as good, hence I haven't recorded anything yet. Can't wait for the weekend to play around with it some more.

HNY, mate!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I really love the fender amplitube for it.And for $6.99 you can't beat it.
www.ikmultimedia.com.../index.php

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
great first song! i really liked the spacey feel that it gave off especially with the pictures used. Like said above the only constructive criticism i can give is to maybe add some more variation to the drums. I'm a drummer so i tend to focus on that
not bad at all thought for a first time, keep it up

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Maybe ,one day,I will be brave enough to post some of my music,but not yet.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by VinnyPNY
great first song! i really liked the spacey feel that it gave off especially with the pictures used. Like said above the only constructive criticism i can give is to maybe add some more variation to the drums. I'm a drummer so i tend to focus on that
not bad at all thought for a first time, keep it up

Thanks heaps, Vinny!

I'm gonna have another go at them drums then
I wish I had an Ipad, or a kit. It's well difficult playing the tiny kit on the iphone screen! Not so many decent loops included in the app either. I shall look to see if I can download any more. Alternatively I may invest in one of them midi type kits. Payday approaches!

KDog, I'd love to have a listen to your guitar stuff. Don't be shy! Only eejits slag off folk who are brave enough to get up on stage, be it real or virtual!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Garageband is awesome because everything gets mastered FOR YOU! Its amazing, really, from the standpoint of a producer, as many will say mastering is the hardest part of the producing process.

Now I can't do this off ear, but did you make sure to follow any pattern? Like to keep to 32 beats, 16 beats, or 64 beats per section as to have a beginning, chorus, bridge, chorus, buildup, climax, outro? Or is this a progressive piece?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I've spent all weekend trying to finish a few more tunes, and had a fiddle with the first one too. They're very unpolished and need more work done, for sure. Gonna get me a mac in a couple of pay days time!

Have a listen though guys and let me know what you think.

Still need to find a singer! I tried to record some vocals on a couple of the tunes and I sound like bear gurgling on a brick. Any ladies on here fancy collaborating?

This is the touch up of my first tune.

These are the others.

edit on 24-1-2012 by lazernation because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2012 by lazernation because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2012 by lazernation because: Fix links

new topics

top topics

join