It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

911 Tells Mom 'Do What You Have To Do' : Mom shoots intruder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is quite a story. Props to the 911 dispatcher, and to the young mother involved.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

A teenaged mother shot and killed an intruder after a 911 operator said she was allowed to defend her infant son and herself with force.

Sarah McKinley, 18, killed Justin Martin with a single gunshot wound on New Year's Eve when he forced his way into her Blanchard, Okla. home and came at her with a long hunting knife, ABC News reports.

The deadly encounter occurred about a week after the young mom's husband died of cancer, according to TV station KOCO. Martin darkened McKinley's door on the day of her husband's funeral. several days before the shooting He claimed he was a neighbor who wanted to say hello, but she didn't open the door.

Martin returned with an accomplice on Dec. 31 and tried to force their way into the modest house. When McKinley heard the men trying to break in, she called 911.

She also holed up in her bedroom with a 12-gauge shotgun and a pistol while she put a bottle in her three-month-old son's mouth.

"I've got two guns in my hand -- is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" McKinley asked the operator.

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told McKinley after she asked a second time. The call went on for 21 minutes as the men powered their way into McKinley's house.

Eventually, Martin kicked in the door and charged at her with a knife, but she shot before he could injure her.

Police found Martin slumped over a couch McKinley used to barricade the door and pronounced him dead on the scene, TV station News 9 reports. They said McKinley's use of forced was justified.

Martin's alleged accomplice, Dustin Stewart fled when he heard the gunshot and later surrenered to police, according to The Oklahoman. Stewart was charged with burglary.

My heart goes out to this woman, and what she has gone thru.

Lesson 1: You don't mess with a mother protecting her child.

Lesson 2: We have the right to bear arms for a reason.
edit on 4-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
To all you people that question our right to bear arms.

This is why we should be allowed to bear them.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Good for her. It's your human right to protect yourself and family. You don't need permission to do so.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

#2 applies to all of us honest hard working people who may have to deal with vagrants trying to take what we have worked for or harm our families.

edit on 4-1-2012 by Communicationwillfreeus because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2012 by Communicationwillfreeus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Thank you, this just goes to illustrate how important it is for us to hold on to our 2nd amendment rights tighter then a fat guy holds a fork

edit on 4-1-2012 by pocketsando because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
There is another thread on the same story...perhaps the mods can combine them.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

"I've got two guns in my hand -- is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" McKinley asked the operator.

Lesson 3: Grow a pair and STOP asking permission to defend your own life.

This story is ridiculous. A teenage mother had a husband die of cancer??? Then she feels obligated to ask permission to defend her baby's and her own life?

Like Alex Jones once said - This country's flag should be of someone in the fetal position wetting themselves.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I really feel for this woman. I mean 3 month old babies are hard on their own, losing a spouse is hard on its own, all to end up dealing with a home invasion. Kudos to her. It's not always easy to do what you have to do. Never come between mama bear and her cub. S&F

ETA If it were me I would have asked permission too if just to make sure my ass is safe. Don't want to go to prison and see that baby (probably the last piece of her husband she has) go into foster care.
edit on 4-1-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: add

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

While I do agree.
You gotta put yourself in her shoes.
She just lost her husband, she's alone with her baby and probably scared to death.

In the end she made the right choice.

They should give her a medal and more ammo.
edit on 4-1-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Good for her!

Criminals BEWARE, The use of DEADLY FORCE is authorized!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join