It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Considers Color-Coded Alert System and The Death Penalty (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Still realing from the shool attack, Russia is considering a color coded threat warning system much like that used in the USA. They are also considering reinstating the death penalty for terrorism.

news.yahoo.com
By DAVID McHUGH, Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW - A color-coded alert system, tighter controls on foreigners and restoring the death penalty are among the proposals to strengthen Russian security after a series of terror attacks, culminating in a deadly siege of a school, dubbed "Russia's Sept. 11."

Several of the measures � particularly the color-coded alert system � echo those adopted by the United States after the 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon (news - web sites).

When Russia's lower house of parliament, the State Duma, returns to session Sept. 22, it will consider a package of measures that includes tighter rules for registering foreigners' addresses and their transit in and out of the country, as well as closer controls on car registrations, the Gazeta newspaper reported Friday.

Some lawmakers called for reinstating capital punishment, which is allowed by law but was halted by Russia after it joined the Council of Europe human rights organization in 1997.

"I don't exclude that parliament may lift the moratorium on the death penalty for terrorists," Duma defense committee chairman Viktor Zavarzin said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I like the death penalty for terrorism, but the color codes may need some rethinking. Already percieved as a joke here in the states by and large can you imagine the chaos if everybody uses the system. I can see the flow sheet at the airport. Or better yet the overhead. If the country you just came from is on terror alert yellow and the destination is red you may experience delays".

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The death penalty should definitely restored for capital crimes. I mean come on, contract killings are a daily event in Russia and people who do this must be cancelled.

The color codes, on the other hand, are idiotic, and should never be adopted.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I agree with Aelita that the death penalty should be enact, but like Fred said.

If the country you just came from is on terror alert yellow and the destination is red you may experience delays".

Is just to funny to let it pass. I imagine the ariports In US with the alert coding for the respectives countries and people wondering if they just should cancel their trips due to the color code alerts. Or calling the air lines agencies just to check the status of the color for certain destinations before making flying arrangements.

join