It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What happen to the State Militias?

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Im still in high school, and are learning about American History around the period of Industrialization and before the 1920's, and i read how in the early Organized Protests the State/Local Militias many times refused to fire upon the protesting workers. And then they had to bring in Federal Troops to come in and disperse the protests and many times leading into the shooting and killing of the protesters.

So what i want to know is what happened to the Local/State Militias that were made to protect the people against the government if it turned Tyrannical and turned upon the people?

Yes i know that it is called the National Guard, but doesnt the Federal Government run the National Guard?

And if they still exist today shouldn't they be at least preparing or education the common people about he injustices that are committed every day by our Federal Government.

(i dont really know where this would belong - sorry if its in the wrong place)
edit on 3-1-2012 by Dinogur because: grammar




posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinogur

So what i want to know is what happened to the Local/State Militias that were made to protect the people against the government if it turned Tyrannical and turned upon the people?



How did it all happen?
I did some looking into this.

Huey P Long was Governor of Louisiana and he was crazy. Once while trying to get back into the Capitol of Baton Rouge, the Lt. Governor called out the State Guard and had the capitol surrounded to keep him out. Shortly after that the Fed nationalized all guard units and now it's called the National Guard. That's where our gun rights went.






Originally posted by Dinogur

And if they still exist today shouldn't they be at least preparing or education the common people about he injustices that are committed every day by our Federal Government.



All this arguing over shotguns and pistols is pocket change.

It's even worse than that.
Our state run militias have already been taken away from us.

No longer do young people get to go through the right of being recognized, by the state, as a contributing member of society and receiving their first firearm. And just look at what happened to the homicide rate since.




B: The murder rate from 1870 to 1905 was slightly under or slightly over 1 per 100,000. During this time anyone, black, white, immigrant, a 14 year old, etc. could buy a firearm anywhere and anytime. If "guns cause murder" as the anti-freedom groups say, why was the murder rate so low when anyone and everyone could buy firearms? It is self-evident that whatever factors increase the murder rate, the open and free sale of firearms is NOT one of them.

www.amfire.com...


We should rightfully have tanks, jet aircraft, bazookas, even our own space craft by now. 9 the eleventh would have been swatted down like a mosquito. But no, big momma nanny state knows best.



David Grouchy



posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
There are still state militias that answer only to the governor of that state. Many of them have been, as Grouchy pointed out, assimilated in to the National Guard. But not all.
My state of Virginia has both a State militia and a home defense force.
A good place to inquire are gun shows or gun stores. Check the local ad boards there.



posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinogur
So what i want to know is what happened to the Local/State Militias that were made to protect the people against the government if it turned Tyrannical and turned upon the people?

Yes i know that it is called the National Guard, but doesnt the Federal Government run the National Guard?

The National Guard is dual state/federal. It can be federalized in accordance with Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitution and relevant laws. About half the states maintain state defense forces which have no federal character; their members are considered unorganized militia (if any at all) for federal purposes.


And if they still exist today shouldn't they be at least preparing or education the common people about he injustices that are committed every day by our Federal Government.

No, the state defense forces aren't responsible for education you. That was the public school system's job.



posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli

Originally posted by Dinogur
So what i want to know is what happened to the Local/State Militias that were made to protect the people against the government if it turned Tyrannical and turned upon the people?

Yes i know that it is called the National Guard, but doesnt the Federal Government run the National Guard?

The National Guard is dual state/federal. It can be federalized in accordance with Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitution and relevant laws. About half the states maintain state defense forces which have no federal character; their members are considered unorganized militia (if any at all) for federal purposes.


And if they still exist today shouldn't they be at least preparing or education the common people about he injustices that are committed every day by our Federal Government.

No, the state defense forces aren't responsible for education you. That was the public school system's job.


No no i didnt mean it like that i meant , shouldn't they -if they retained their old status- be pointing out the wrongs our Federal Government was committing today. Schools would be for history and besides they wouldn't/have never taught anything that they wouldn't want you to know.

You would be surprised as to how many teachers simply follow the history that is given to them to teach.

I remember how last year my class started to question the causes/effects of 9/11, my teacher kept on telling us exactly what the news had said and struck down any more questions in about a minute of us (questioning)
edit on 3-1-2012 by Dinogur because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur
 


The "militia" became the state national guard and fell under the same authority of the feds.
There still are "militias" out there and many great ones.
They are privatized like minded individuals, who drill on weekends and do many other things together.
I would encourage you to seek these groups out and find out what your local militia is really about.
I will warn you however no matter what anyones OPINION may seem in public, keep yours to yourself.
The only thing others need to know is that you stand for the constitution and the flag that protects it.

There have been plants in these organizations that have attempted to sway peoples thoughts and actions in order to entrap them into doing or allowing illegal activities.
In time your Brothers will trust you, not by your words but by your deeds.
I would suggest you utilze the same strategy.

I have one person in this world other than my wife who I truly fully share all of my most intimate thoughts.
This man has been my bestest buddy since just after my diaper stage, I'm fat, old and retired nowadays.

Time is the only real true judge.



posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur
 


The state militia was intended to protect the state against a tyrannical federal government. It was intended that the Governor of each state would be the commander of their respective state militias. Back in the day, the state militia was also used to repel invasion from foreign countries. For example, if Mexico invaded Texas, it took several days, if not weeks, for word to get back to the federal government, and then more days and weeks for the federal government to respond. During that time the state militia would defend the state. The National Gaurd did take the place of the state militia, however, because the National Gaurd members are paid with federal funds, a conflict of interest now exists. The National Gaurd Act is an unconstitutional piece of legislation. The state militias were made up of "all able bodied men", and I forget the age range at this very moment, but it was between 18 and 55 or something close to that.

In recent years, the word militia has been demogauged and perverted by the agenda driven mainstream media. Just look at the coverage of Timothy McVeigh. He was refered to as a militia member. The current definition, at least by media standards, of a militia member is an angry racist white man who owns a lot of guns and hates the federal government. This couldn't be further from the truth. The correct definition is that the militia is made up of all men from all races. These men care about their liberty and freedom, as well as yours, and recognize the constitutional sovereignty granted to the individual states by the 10th amendment of the constitution. These men volunteer and make their community a better and safer place to live for everyone. These men are also well trained and highly skilled and are the only thing standing between the last bit of liberty we have left and the tyrannical federal overlords that would come take the guns. The second amendment is THE ONLY thing stopping them from enacting their sinister agenda, and they know it. Who is the militia you ask? In short YOU ARE. I am. Your neighbor is. These days there are many valid and respectable state militia groups in every state. They are not officially recognized as such by the state Governors, but they are there nonetheless. Just watch out for the fringe, violent idiots that mask their beliefs and actions as reputible militias... they are a great way to end up in prison.

anyway, I admire your thirst for answers and knowledge. I appreciate that a young person like you is concerned and interested in the history of our great nation, or should I say what is left of it.



posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur
 


If you seriusly think about the difference in meaning between "states' militia" and National Guard, you can well see what happened.



posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

Originally posted by Dinogur










Originally posted by Dinogur










B: The murder rate from 1870 to 1905 was slightly under or slightly over 1 per 100,000. During this time anyone, black, white, immigrant, a 14 year old, etc. could buy a firearm anywhere and anytime. If "guns cause murder" as the anti-freedom groups say, why was the murder rate so low when anyone and everyone could buy firearms? It is self-evident that whatever factors increase the murder rate, the open and free sale of firearms is NOT one of them.

www.amfire.com...


We should rightfully have tanks, jet aircraft, bazookas, even our own space craft by now. 9 the eleventh would have been swatted down like a mosquito. But no, big momma nanny state knows best.



David Grouchy


I see the murder spikes around the prohibition era and as the illegal drug market started to pick up.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Texas Militia
This is a link to the Texas Militia site. Good info here.

Texas State Guard
This link takes you to a more "official" site.

Both of these are pretty good services to aid Texans in times of trouble. They serve a purpose, and I think most states should have similar forces at their disposal, at the very least.



posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If you research the Federalist Papers you will find that the reason for the designation of "well regulated militia" comes simply from the facts of being unable, monetarily, to arm, feed, clothe and supply every capable member in the country. They knew it was impractical. They also discussed that industry would suffer by constantly sending people out to the wilderness on preimeter guard. They also knew from their studies and knowledge of Europe that no "standing army" should even approach 10% of the population, that 1 to 2 percent was better.

They clearly state that the job of the militia, all the rest of us NOT in the regulated segment, is to be able to defeat or fight to a standstill the "regulated" militia in the event of it becoming the enforcement arm of a government gone awry that is attempting to negate the rights of the people.

That's just one facet. In the case of an external threat, we, the rest of us, are expected to join with the military to augment them in every way. The same was assumed about insurrection except when the insurrection encompasses the bulk of the populous, then we support them instead. Those are the distinctions.

The reason for the 2nd Amendment is to ensure that our weaponry matches that of the military. (And YES to a certain extent I believe there ought to be limits, but not with AWs) That is the reason behind the clause "shall not be infringed".

The states too are authorized their own "well regulated" militias to deal with state issues and to augment the main military when called upon and sent by the governors. It was recognized that they too, would have economic constraints that wouldn't allow them to fit and deploy all who were able.

It's pretty straight forward and a very interesting read.



posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by akalepos
If you research the Federalist Papers you will find that the reason for the designation of "well regulated militia" comes simply from the facts of being unable, monetarily, to arm, feed, clothe and supply every capable member in the country. They knew it was impractical. They also discussed that industry would suffer by constantly sending people out to the wilderness on preimeter guard. They also knew from their studies and knowledge of Europe that no "standing army" should even approach 10% of the population, that 1 to 2 percent was better.

They clearly state that the job of the militia, all the rest of us NOT in the regulated segment, is to be able to defeat or fight to a standstill the "regulated" militia in the event of it becoming the enforcement arm of a government gone awry that is attempting to negate the rights of the people.

That's just one facet. In the case of an external threat, we, the rest of us, are expected to join with the military to augment them in every way. The same was assumed about insurrection except when the insurrection encompasses the bulk of the populous, then we support them instead. Those are the distinctions.

The reason for the 2nd Amendment is to ensure that our weaponry matches that of the military. (And YES to a certain extent I believe there ought to be limits, but not with AWs) That is the reason behind the clause "shall not be infringed".

The states too are authorized their own "well regulated" militias to deal with state issues and to augment the main military when called upon and sent by the governors. It was recognized that they too, would have economic constraints that wouldn't allow them to fit and deploy all who were able.

It's pretty straight forward and a very interesting read.


What if the biggest threat to the people is its own government? then what do the people do? who do they rally behind, when the militias are with the governments?



posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The Constitutional Militia is divided up among states, but does not necessarily mean that it is governed by the state. The states are simply different territories.

The militia is a freedom granted to each citizen that should not be infringed upon. It is governed by the constitution. Every American citizen is a member whether they know it or not.

There are however militia groups that are not constitutional militias, be weary of those groups who do not abide by the constitution.



posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur
 


I promise you that a constitutional militia will not side with any group that violates the constitution.

It's soul purpose is to protect and defend the constitution.

Those who join the ranks of the constitutional militia, swear an oath to defend the constitution, that is where the true distinction between a well regulated constitutional militia or not.
edit on 4-1-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)




top topics



 
2

log in

join