It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right now outside everyone. :P

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Okay so the planet next to the moon is Jupiter or is Venus? Correct? And the one below the bright one, that is the brightest of them all, is that Jupiter, Venus, or a UFO?

BRB, Going to take pictures through my telescope.

I think this bright thing is what was caught in Turkey.

It is bright.

Hmm, plus we suppose to have a meteor shower tomorrow, wonder if it will come early tonight.

It's way too cold, someone else do it for me please....

I'm trying.
edit on 3-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I believe that's Jupiter. It's a beautiful and clear night to look at the stars.
Thanks for getting me off this dang computer long enough to enjoy it.

Awww....It's not that cold....I was outside with just shorts and no shirt....lol
edit on 3-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

If you have an android phone you should get an app called Google Sky Map. You just point at the object and it tells you what it is. It is one of the most used apps (besides stumbleupon) on my phone.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Ok so I just looked. I think that is Jupiter to the right of the moon. It's not the clearest night here in Iowa. Although when I was starring at Jupiter I could have swore I saw it move little by little..?? I couldn't find a reference point so I don't know if it was actually moving or if it was my eyes playing tricks on me.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Templeton

I had that application, but every time I would point it at the moon it said it wasn't there. Maybe my calibration was off.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeenyus2008

Ok so I just looked. I think that is Jupiter to the right of the moon. It's not the clearest night here in Iowa. Although when I was starring at Jupiter I could have swore I saw it move little by little..?? I couldn't find a reference point so I don't know if it was actually moving or if it was my eyes playing tricks on me.

If you can, look right below it to the right of it, it's down lower and it is like totally bright, which one is that one then.
Thanks.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Some directions would be helpful, as would your general location.

Yes, Jupiter is close to the Moon.
Venus is in the western sky, after sunset, fairly low in the sky, and very bright.

edit on 1/3/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hmm ok, so that's probably what it is then. OK.

TY Phage.

I'll still try to get picture through the telescope if I can get through the line of site.

My hands are frozen.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Its overcast but I only see Jupiter and at my position it's about 4 o'clock to the moon.

link   
That is Jupiter close to the moon.

www.stellarium.org...

This is a very cool software you can use to plug in you coordinates and see what you view in the sky.
And its free.

Man,Phage is quick on the gun.
edit on 3-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Okay so the planet next to the moon is Jupiter or is Venus? Correct? And the one below the bright one, that is the brightest of them all, is that Jupiter, Venus, or a UFO?

BRB, Going to take pictures through my telescope.

I think this bright thing is what was caught in Turkey.

It is bright.

Hmm, plus we suppose to have a meteor shower tomorrow, wonder if it will come early tonight.

It's way too cold, someone else do it for me please....

I'm trying.

Stars, planets
Stellarium

from thread; www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on January 3rd 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jeenyus2008

Well actually, you are moving and so is Jupiter. As the earth spins on its axis our view of the sky changes accordingly, Point your scope at the moon, center it in your view and watch as it creeps out of the field of view.
Hope it helps.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

You may find this opensource app useful - www.stellarium.org...

Need to get out and start imaging Jupiter again, been a while.

lol - wow didn't type quick enough, suggestion still stands tho

edit on 3-1-2012 by digitalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Techata

I do not own/have access to a telescope, but thank you for the advice. I meant just looking at it with the naked eye.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Techata

No, I'm trying to get Venus, not Jupiter and I can't get the line site, just comes up black and yes the lens cover is off.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jeenyus2008

Alrighty then. So it would appear to move because of abberation of light through the atmosphere. I have freaked myself out on a couple of occasions with that. If you don't know it is possible you are thinking on a total different wavelength.Lol. Well save that for another day. Hehe

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Try starting with a 20mm wide field view eyepiece. Then slowly go up in magnification accordingly. I never ever used my sighting scope always threw me off. Minute adjustments will be necessary. And over that distance we are talking fractions of an inch for thousands of kilometers
Tech

Edit. Also try adjusting your focus onto the moon clearly, then try to find venus. I have found that it helps because if your over focused you end up with nothing to see. possibly why you are seeing black. Venus focused on the moon should be a pretty bright light through your eyepiece. Then move the telescope in the direction of the light source in your field of view. I hope u understand what im trying to say. Hard to explain, easy to show.

edit on 3-1-2012 by Techata because: added a tit bit

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Techata

I saw it but it came out too small and I can't find my other focus thing. All different colors though.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
What is a reasonable price to pay for a telescope?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by football6

For a beginner you would be fine with a 300 to 500 dollar scope. keep in mind that doesnt include filters which are required for nebulae and the sun. Planets are awesome to look at, especially saturn. Any make, just make sure the optics have been coated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join