It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbest election ever.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Remember this. It is the current generation of young Americans that must ensure a happy America for the next 30 years. I personally think they can do it. The internet is their voice, their collective mind. This is the medium which will set us free.

Dumbest Election Ever.
By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Friday 10 September 2004

The clearest indication that the country is coming out from under the massive psychological concussion of September 11 is the fact that we are all enduring the stupidest Presidential election season in recent memory. If we were all still walking around in the cat-like state of readiness we operated under for at least a year after the attacks, we wouldn't put up with this garbage.

Swift Boats? 527s? Who served or didn't serve, and how and why and when and where? They're talking about a war that ended 29 years ago. Bush v. Dukakis was close - a mythically stupid race, to be sure - but this current crapgasm is pinning the needle on the Dumb-O-Meter. It is no small thing that the guys who ran Bush's race against the Duke are the same guys running Bush's race against Kerry today. In '88, the thing turned on flag-burning, Dukakis in a tank and the racist meta-message of Willie Horton.

This entire election, thus far, has been about television. All the issues widely discussed stem from television advertisements. For the television news media, this is like free money falling from the sky. They cover to the hilt any story stemming from a television advertisement - which they can show, and then talk about, and then show, and then talk about, lather, rinse, repeat - and so the campaigns make this garbage the focus of their whole act. It's like a Mobius Loop for really dumb computers.

The entire Presidential debate thus far, performed in 30 seconds:

The Swifties! Denounce the ad! I denounce all ads! But denounce that ad! I denounce all ads! He didn't denounce the ad! I like eggs! 527s! Response ads! The ad said you lied in Vietnam! How dare that ad say such things! You must react more strongly to the ads! He's not responding strongly to the ads! Shakeup because of the response to the ads! Guard duty scandal revived to respond to the Vietnam angle in the ads! The documents are forged! No they aren't! Yes they are! Vote Bush or die! We need another ad!

Not to make this too personal, but I blame the Boomers. The fact that the Baby Boomer generation is the most important demographic in the country right now - both economically and politically - is really the only way to explain this. Think about it. The first generation raised by television is slogging, along with the rest of us, through a campaign where the only issues discussed have to do with television advertisements. Let's not forget, as well, the fact that the two main candidates spring from that particular demographic, as well.

I'm kidding. I think.

[edit on 10-9-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
My friend told me that all of this is happening because both the Democrats and the Republicans, regardless if it's Bush or Kerry, are just trying to confuse us and keep us confused. Honestly, I think they're doing pretty darn good job of it.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
My friend told me that all of this is happening because both the Democrats and the Republicans, regardless if it's Bush or Kerry, are just trying to confuse us and keep us confused. Honestly, I think they're doing pretty darn good job of it.

Actually, I'm under the impression that they're the ones who are hopelessly confused

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Originally posted by mrmulder

Actually, I'm under the impression that they're the ones who are hopelessly confused

Yep! That could be very true as well!

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
And now they got us arguing about a font on a document that was typed up twenty some odd years ago (local radio talkshow). I mean, don't you just feel retarded arguing about if they used Times New Roman or some other very similar font? It damn sure sounds retarded. Its a great way to distract people thats for sure!

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
which is why I don't listen to major news outlets anymore...

Which is why i'm voting libertarian,

which is why i think we have a chance of success....

It's our future generation and that includes me...

These guys should be sent to a zoo, put in a cage where passerbys can point and laugh...

new topics

top topics

join