It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love Thy Enemy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
"Love Thy Enemy" - Matthew 5:44

[ToChristians]

Tell me the meaning of "Love your Enemy"

If you believe in jesus, then why so much hate against other religions, especially islam?

"But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!" - Matthew 5:44

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DumbTopSecretWriters

Well, it seems fairly obvious to me.

The rest of christianity, not so much. I never understood that.

For clarity - as I understand it, Christ teaches us that if we forgive men, we will be forgiven. If we don't forgive men, we won't be forgiven. As Christ enabled forgiveness for us all, we must extend the same to all others around us, regardless of offense, or we have no part in him. As Christ loved us unconditionally, we must extend the same.

Do not resist the evil (for Christ did not), but turn the other cheek. Return good for evil (as Christ did). If we don't take up our cross daily and follow him, and love others before him, we have no part in him.

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

(cue debate on Jesus' words, leading inevitably to the witness of the early church for a few centuries until Augustine and Constantine)

edit on 1/3/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I'm not sure I see the problem as clearly as you do. "Pray for those who persecute you!" Right, Islam is not a who. Christians are supposed to pray for people, enemies or not. That desire for someone's ultimate good is a pretty fair working definition of love.

No problem hating Islam, just don't hate Islamists.

I suppose some are frightened or wounded by followers of Islam and become hate-filled. That's natural. But Christ asked us to go beyond what is natural. And praying for your persecuters certainly is that.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Who gave that title in first place "Islamists". NOT ISLAM

Spot the difference

"No problem hating Christian, just don't hate Christians."

Mmm!!

edit on 3-1-2012 by DumbTopSecretWriters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DumbTopSecretWriters
reply to post by charles1952

Who gave that title in first place "Islamists". NOT ISLAM

Spot the difference

"No problem hating Christian, just don't hate Christians."

Mmm!!

edit on 3-1-2012 by DumbTopSecretWriters because: (no reason given)

If we hate, we commit murder in God's eyes. Personally I believe that at minimum Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in the same God, because there is only one God. And we all agree all signs point to love.

The difference is what we believe about who is following the correct doctrine. So for a Jew and a Muslim that do not convert they live by the Mosaic Laws and will be judged by those laws. Myself as a Christian I will be held to a higher standard and be judged by the law of Grace.

We will all be judged by the same God. Because of my personal experience with the Holy Spirit, something that is missing from the Jewish and Muslim faith I know in my heart that I am following the true doctrine. Before the Holy Spirit was revealed in me I was unsure if the difference in doctrine was of any importance.

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit that only a believer in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit can receive brings a sense of Joy and rest that cannot be explained.

I only pray that all men would be able to accept this gift and be filled with the love and peace that I have been filled with.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Dear DumbTopSecretWriters,

I'm sorry if I did not make myself clear. I chose the word "Islamist" because it was so similar to "Islam," like Christian is to Christianity.

I would gladly change Islamist to Muslim, if you'd like. My point was that hating a religion is one thing, hating a follower of it is another. We are not to hate people but to love them, but then, you knew that.

With respect,
Charles1952

new topics

top topics

join