It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban ready to talk with US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by ZeroUnlmtd

um you know NATO have been talking to taliban already at least in certain areas of Afghanistan. But Taliban have so far refused to open "official top level talks" despite NATO asking them to for about 4 years.

Their attitude was always. " The Americans have the watches but we have the time" In other words they know sooner or later foreigners will be desperate to withdraw from Afghanistan. They weren't bothered about having serious talks, they can wait until everyone leaves.

The question is what have NATO promised them for actually opening this office and beginning dialogue publicly. My guess is

1. immunity from any sort of punishment for taliban leaders & fighters.
2. The ability for taliban leaders to participate in afghan elections.

That would suit the Taliban as they are Pashtun which also happens to be the largest ethnic group in Afghanistan (40%+). Give it a few years Taliban will be back in government even if its a coalition

edit on 3-1-2012 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

read the article before posting please, NATO hasn't promised anything, The Taliban are reaching out to the US and Germany and are asking for prisoners to be released from Cuba. They are not asking for anything from NATO just the US so far, now they're demands may change or become more specific soon enough but for the time being they're just asking for that. Now thinking more elaborately, the US doesn't care if Taliban wants to open an office or not. They're funding is run out most likely due to Sanctions on the Iranian oil causing the Riyal to decrease to 40% less than the Dollar, so now they want to talk to the US and Germany.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

OHHH hell no many troops have died for their imprisonments, I heard about this although US troops have been withdrawn, Special units still remain, Seals etc Maybe there kicking arse and the Taliban know there reign is coming to an end. Afgan locals say that they wanted US and UK troops withdrawn. Let them deal with there s**** when it hits the fan. I say let the Taliban deal with the newly formed government not ours.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ROYALMARINE1987

exactly, finally someone who isn't a complete traitor to their country posting something other than that same bleeding heart bull i've been looking at, people seem to forget that these countries the US go into have it coming anyways, its not like we spin a globe around and point at a spot and say lets get them fools
....... or do we

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Hit the nail on the head bud.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I love the idea of a taliban office. I wonder what sort of quirky office antics the taliban would get up to. One can only imagine the hilarious shenanigans.

Also seems like a nifty way to take out a whole lot of taliban with one bomb.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Ha ha love it monger. with a bit of luck they might try out there ied's on themselves for testing purposes hope it brings down there whole dig out building.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Finally some hope and good news!

Let's do hope that this IS a start for peace. Oh I so hope!

I get so so SO stinking tired of seeing nothing but bad news on here. I hope this is the true start of a great New Year and maybe that 'change' of 2012 could BE something positive and good.

Let peace happen. Starts with one group and moves forward one by one. My fingers are crossed, I'm praying to every single Religious deity and ideaology and such there is. ^_^

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tesclo
There comes a point when peace is more important than pride. If there is any chance of peace that could come of this, I say we sit down and try to reach that peace. Enough people have died throughout these 10 years. Enough blood has been shed. Enough of our freedom has been stripped from us here on American soil.

I am curious though, didnt Joe Biden recently say that the Taliban isnt our enemy? We've never been at war with East Asia it seems.

Im not saying Obama has been a good president thus far, but he has seen reason. Peace is more important than war.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Let us see what comes of this.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join