It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orkney Temple Predates Stonehenge by 500 years!: (see-we just haven't dug deep enough-yet)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The discovery of a Stone Age temple on Orkney looks set to rewrite the archaeological records of ancient Britain with evidence emerging it was built centuries before Stonehenge.

The Orkney Temple site

Experts believe the huge outer wall suggests the site was not domestic, while the layout of the buildings has reinforced the view it might have been a major religious site. Archaeologists think the temple was built 500 years before Stonehenge, regarded as the centre of Stone Age Britain. However, only 10% of the site at Ness of Brodgar has been excavated and it could be years before the scale and age of the discovery is fully understood.

www.orkneyjar.com...

Charcoal samples from beneath the wall indicate it was built around 3200 BC. A 30mm high figurine with a head, body and two eyes, and called the "Brodgar Boy", was also unearthed in the rubble of one of the structures. About 18 months ago, a remarkable rock coloured red, orange and yellow was unearthed. This is the first discovery in Britain of evidence that Neolithic peoples used paint to decorate their buildings

Archeologist Julian Richards, who has written several books on Stonehenge, added: "The indication is that building was taking place when Stonehenge was still, relatively speaking, insignificant. We have tended to think we know how things were in the Neolithic period, then something like this turns that on its head."

Reconstruction of the temple precinct being uncovered in Orkney

Source: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

Just proves my point... We haven't dug down far enought yet-in the right places. Our history lays below us.. not in the Stars.. sad to say.

This is amazing. I wonder what the Druids and the alike will do now? Most likely simply ignore this find as it isn't "Hip" yet.

I will be keeping my eye on the progress of this site. And, I have to ask... how good is Carbon Dating.... If you trust and/or believe it-great. If not-you will have issues with this one-most likely.

I hope the ATSers from England can chime in on this one.

edit on 1/3/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
orkney isles are part of scotland north no? there are other sites in scotland that are older than stone henge as well.
these people were the picts,or their forefathers. scotland was given this name by the romans(scotia).
well i guess its one more thing us scots had to teach the 'english' how to do!!!

just kidding my limey brothers! you probably have more scotish in you than i do!

anyway really cool find,i'm gonna investigate.
i think another site you may find neat is scara brea(?)
they found this by accident after the ocean eroded some of the coast in scotland

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

thats skara brea(sorry,gettind old,memory fading!) wikipedia orkney isles

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I guess the Stone Hengers don't want to go down this path.

I am surprised this didn't cause more of a stir. I think it will turn Stone Henge theories around-if not upside down.

And, again. Have we dug down far enough yet to get to the real beginnings of Man.... Homospaiens.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I guess the Stone Hengers don't want to go down this path.

I am surprised this didn't cause more of a stir. I think it will turn Stone Henge theories around-if not upside down.

And, again. Have we dug down far enough yet to get to the real beginnings of Man.... Homospaiens.

Habitations like the above are well known there are number of similar sites in Scotland and elsewhere. Stonehenge is more impressive visually and was a ceremonial center of greater size.

Dig deeper? More wisely works better - most pre-human and archaic HSS are found on the surface, usually eroding out of the stone matrix they were fossilized in - unless you are talking caves and those are usually dug down to bedrock.
edit on 3/1/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
wow awesome find......I think we need to re-invent new dating techniques....the technology and methods available are so flawed..constantly being revised....ugh.....at this point....whats the point of setting a date....they will just be forced to rewrite the whole damn human story eventually....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by newyorkee

Excellent point. 500 years.... is really a minute in the history-maybe a second.

I do understand what you are saying but, as far as I know, carbon dating is it for now.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

First off....this is always essential viewing when dealing with all things Stonehenge...

Secondly, GREAT post....very cool archeological site.
I can only imagine the interesting culture which inspired such creative and awe inspiring architecture in our remote past....

I just joined today and, if I can figure it out, I will give you a star...

Again, thanks for the neat post!

-Christosterone

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Christosterone

Hello new member. Yes, I have seen that thing several times. I don't doubt humans did it by muscle and mind.... But to what end? I know... I know.... the Sun....

But when I think back on the past civilzaitons/types of people & I see some of the great things they built or did.
And then I think... is that all they had. Able to move large rocks and stones... into a formation and Pray to the sun? They stopped there? ...... sad

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by Christosterone

But when I think back on the past civilzaitons/types of people & I see some of the great things they built or did.
And then I think... is that all they had. Able to move large rocks and stones... into a formation and Pray to the sun? They stopped there? ...... sad

You hit the nail on the head....Things like this always bring out the melancholy in me as well..

Some AMAZING culture (possibly a tiny one) created Stonehenge (for instance)...
And now, POOF, they are forgotten.....
Where did they go? What tragedy befell them and possibly eradicated them? War, famine, disease?

I can only imagine cultures sprouting up here and there all over the world equally as advanced who maybe built with wood instead...Leaving nothing! No record of their existence...
At least with the culture that created Stonehenge we have proof they lived...
So I guess that is something...

But I, like you, tend towards sadness when thinking of them and their disappearance.....
-Christosterone

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The Orkneys are fascinating to me. I had a brilliant prof in college who told me some awesome stories about that area, full of magic and lore....it does not surprise me that something like this has been discovered in that area. Great post! Thanks and Please keep up the info about this, I can't wait to find out what else that is discovered!

S&F!

top topics

join