It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do you think is the best guitarist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Michael Schenker
Robin Trower
Michael Hedges
Another Hedges

As others have said, it's difficult to narrow down the "best". For me it's more than speed and precision, although those are qualities of greatness. I think it's 'heart', and what that means to us.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Four pages and nary a mention of Ritchie Blackmore.

What a sad world we live in.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I think there is no way to point out who the best guitarist is. There are so many different styles with so many different players with so many different qualities.

Some say it is Andres Segovia, you know.......the classical guy. Maybe they choose him for his contribution to making classical guitar populair while others think he is the greatest for one of his live performances.

Maybe, if we are looking for one best guitarist it is saver to say that he is unknown and jamming away in his bedroom annoying his parents or isn't born yet.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
oh there's just so many to choose from lol, being a big u2 fan thanks to my mum lol ,bon jovi fan i'd have to say David Howell evans aka the edge and richie sambora, but i like all the older ones and cant forget Slash himself

*looks upwards* rock and roll doggy

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
A change of seasons is a massive song one of my favorite songs from the band dream theater
edit on 16/1/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I have been a fan for a few years now of between the buried and me after seeing them at a dream theater concert these two guitarist are amazing and play well off each other .

hope you enjoy

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

As others have said, it's difficult to narrow down the "best". For me it's more than speed and precision, although those are qualities of greatness. I think it's 'heart', and what that means to us.

Agreed a player can very technically amazing but it is something completely different when it comes down to writing a song that makes the listener feel something is something that is quite difficult . I find in most situations once a guitarist or what ever break and try a solo project it sucks miserably . It is the group of as a whole that make amazing guitarist and musicians stand out.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Agree completely. Pete Townshend comes to mind. GREAT guitarist, excellent lyricist and while his efforts 'on his own' were not without sucess, they paled (to me) in comparison with the works of The Who. (Pete, if you're reading, I really liked much of Happy Birthday, I am as well as your later rock operas..... they really shined, and if I hadn't ever heard The Who, I would've possibly enjoyed them more.)

It was about the energy, the mood, the heart. I understand that band members want to branch out on their own and .......... holy cow, I just thought of something. Hold the phone. Did anyone mention Brian May???? Queen -- Innuendo

Put Brian at the top of my list. Can't believe I forgot about the master.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara

Maybe, if we are looking for one best guitarist it is saver to say that he is unknown and jamming away in his bedroom annoying his parents or isn't born yet.

Indeed. The best guitarist I ever saw was my second teacher. He could play anything from Malmsteen, Vai or Satriani and explain it to you while playing it! I can't even answer a simple yes/no question while I'm playing let alone explain anything.

As for known ones, I'd have to say Paul Gilbert is pretty amazing with regard to speed and technical prowess.
Check this out: www.youtube.com...

and this one, three hands! www.youtube.com...

edit on 24-1-2012 by philosophe because: forgot to mention the quote was from whom

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
Four pages and nary a mention of Ritchie Blackmore.

What a sad world we live in.

And I was thinking the exact same thing about Steve Hackett and Andrew Latimer from Camel.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I tried to get Genesis. Picked up Foxtrot, Selling England and Trick of the Tail. Didn't happen. I hear Hackett is pretty good but I don't hear much guitar on those albums. I talked to a total prog-rock guy the other day and he said Genesis was all about the technicality, I said "WHAT technicality, where's the freakin' guitar?". Trick wasn't so bad(Squonk is ok, really dig Spock's Beard's cover of it) but still didn't get me into Genesis. Some really dark lyrics on that one.

He didn't really have a answer for me.

Someday I'll get some Camel(among a hundred or so other prog groups, then and today I'd like to check out) as I can only do it with albums, not single songs. I'm old school that way. Gotta listen to a whole disc.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Slash from GN'R

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Ihsahn
Adam Jones
Fredrik Thorndendal
Dino Cazares

2 of my favorites, Oli Herbert and Buz McGrath

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

you can tell how bummed he is with how sick the other guys solo is... but this is one of my favorite guitar work from clapton

all time fav

dont like all his stuff but this is just ridiculous

Love canned heat too!

edit on 18-2-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join