It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do you think is the best guitarist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I am surprised Tommy Emmanuel hasn't been mentioned ..oh well www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
My vote definitely goes to Darrell Abbot, RIP. of Pantera. A great sadness comes over me every time I hear him play. Such a great talent wasted. He inspired so many musicians, including myself, for him to die so needlessly makes me so sad.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Gabrielle from Consider the Source is absolutely amazing... not the best guitarist of all time, but truly a very talented musician.

www.youtube.com...

Personally, I am inclined to believe that Clapton is god.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by dezertdog

My all time fave. Mr Johhny Marr :-

www.youtube.com...

Thanx for sharing that.

Here's one for you.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
May sound cliche,but for me its gotta be hendrix,the showmanship,the techniques just the boundaries he broken...

To anyone that disagrees go listen to Little Wing live in paris i think it was '68,mind blowing...the kind of song that no matter what mood im in calms me....

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hello fellow ats friends
I've always had a liking for Kirk hemmet
And joe satriani
But you guys if u haven't should check out Michelangelo batio
He shreds like he's from another dimension but it's all taste of corse

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This guy-

Michael Angelo Batio

There are some other vids of his freakishness
to look at as well.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RowdyAmerican1

Seen them both live, exceptional...

My favorite though, Alex Lifeson from Rush

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dezertdog

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by dezertdog

My all time fave. Mr Johhny Marr :-

www.youtube.com...

Thanx for sharing that.

Here's one for you.

Thanks for that

Here are a couple of good ones for you:-

Brian May

www.youtube.com...

Prince

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Jimi Hendrix, I thought I read somewhere that he could play behind his back and with his teeth.

If that's true, then WOW

Peace

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Cantmakedisup

Happy you included these cats. I fav'd the tune to my utube. I'm always on the look out for talent outside the mainstream pop classic rock B.S.

They kind of remind me of Gentle Giant.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
Tommy Emmanuel

It's hard to believe there is anyone better than Tommy Emmanuel.
I am an old rocker but what this guy does is remarkable.

btw my recently former neighbor was B.B. King

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

btw my recently former neighbor was B.B. King
reply to post by manna2

B.B.King. Another huge influence on me.

Indianola Mississippi Seeds in particular!

Taught me to play a song with feeling not self indulgent noodling.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Eric Brann...age:17
band:IRON BUTTERFLY
song:the unconscious power
song:feilds of sun
song:flowers and beads
song:in a gadda da vida

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This guy is Gentaro Satomura.
He is effortlessly perfect, I play this on windows media player and I
turn down the play back speed. He nails every note

Do yourself a favour and take the time to listen

And just for interest sake a brief look at what our grandkids will be jammin on

I love this thing

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Nobody is the best guitarist, though almost anyone could be the best guitarist in the world on his or her night.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TomServo

you beat me to it by 3min

and this one is ...well it just is www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-1-2012 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well best is a very subjective term, but my favourites would have to be:

Carlos Santana

Jeff Beck

Dave Gilmour

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"Best" is so subjective. Hendrix was definitely inventive. So was Townsend. So was EVH. While he didn't necessarily invent finger tapping, he popularized it and it became his style.
Randy Rhodes was a master of the triplet pull-offs and mixing classical music and scales with metal and speed.
Kirk Hammett has played in his share of very popular metal songs over the years...as well as kept the makers of the Wah pedal in business.

Satriani can shred with the best of them.

Clapton, Joe Perry, Slash...I could go on for hours.
But...music is the closest I get to spirituality.
To me, it doesn't matter whether you use your fingers, a pick, a drill a chainsaw, or whatever other implements you decide you want to try. True music comes from the soul. And while most of the above mentioned guitarists have the soul in them....there are 2 in my opinion who express it best through their music.

One is David Gilmour. Take Comfortably Numb. The first solo is mellow, laid back. Methodical. The outro though..or second solo is different. There is anger. Agitation. It's more choppy, but not in a bad way. It to me expresses totally the tension of the band at the time the song was written.

Listen to Roger Water solo. He has some good guitarists playing with him..but the emotion that David has in his playing just doesn't come through like in them. And to me...that's reflected in the songs themselves. They may still be note for note perfect, but the feeling just isn't there.

Listen to the feeling of David's playing here. It's like no other.

Now I did mention 2 guitarists. The other is Alex Lifeson. One of the most underrated guitarists of all time. He got a bad rap in the '80's for playing along too much with Geddy's obsession with electronic music, and it took me a while to actually realize some of Alex's playing then while seemingly minimal..was actually brilliant.

His emotion also like David's always flows through in his playing. I have heard him talking about playing Limelight before and it's so emotional and meaningful to him at the start of the solo every time he plays it...he inhales deeply then lets it out on the first note of the solo. If that isn't letting your emotions come through, then I don't know what is.

One of my favorite pieces from Alex is from 2112. Discovery and Presentation. Where a guy finds a guitar hidden in the back of a cave that's been there for many many years. The utopian society they now live in has no use for him or the guitar. It's a brilliant piece of lyrics from Neil and the guitar parts from Alex as he "learns to play" then presents his findings are beyond brilliant. The anger from the priests reaction comes through amazingly, then goes right back to the presenters naivety and is played flawlessly.

Here is a snippet of 2112..a fairly long song, but it has the 2 parts I have been talking about,,,Discovery and Presentation.

Sorry for the long ramble....I never have been able to give a short answer when it comes to music!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join