It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs defense bill despite 'reservations'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well it looks like they have successfully created yet another labyrinth of mangled law.

That one Senator says Obama insisted on the language .... remember?
He said it in public (the Senator did) ... right ?
I might be wrong.

The White House had opinions on their official website.

Why do ya think they put crap like this in bills that for all practical purposes can't be shot down ?

This will be a legal debacle, but not before victims are tallied up and made examples of.

It's another Gordian Knot.

Hoodwinking at its' best.

Who still says Obama and Congress are on the side of the citizens ?

The lawyers get richer again !

And we keep the change !

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Am I reading this right ?

from the opening article...

In a statement accompanying his signature, the president chastised some lawmakers for what he contended was their attempts to use the bill to restrict the ability of counterterrorism officials to protect the country.

Administration officials said Obama was only signing the measure because Congress made minimally acceptable changes that no longer challenged the president's terrorism-fighting ability.

""Administration officials said Obama was only signing the measure because Congress made minimally acceptable changes that no longer challenged the president's terrorism-fighting ability.""

What about all the other stuff Mr. POTUS ?

Now I'm REALLY confused .....

I need a Lawyer !

edit on Dec-31-2011 by xuenchen because: (
)

edit on Dec-31-2011 by xuenchen because:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
and some more "questions" for Mr. POTUS:

"My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens," Obama said in the signing statement. "Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

How does the Congress who PASSED the law feel about:

""our most important traditions and values as a nation"" ?????

Hmmm.

Why should I believe this ?

He has lied before, and will lie again.

I think He needs a new job ...

like this perhaps ?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

I think for the first time in my adult life I won't be voting for a presidential candidate.

This is the only choice worthy of consideration these days.

The corruption is so bad that continuing to follow the process is simply prolonging the necessary death of our political system.

Apathy is part of the reason he got in. Brand X stayed home because they did not like the choice. If needed chose the lesser of two evils, but don't stay home. Vote for the Libertarians if you feel that way. My neighbors will outvote me a hundred to one. But I still vote every election, no matter local or national.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

You're speaking of this video where Levin says the Obama administration requested that the bill would allow citizens to be detained

Obama is a liar[

ETA:

As Levin said last week, it was the White House itself that demanded Section 1031 apply to American citizens.

“The language which precluded the application of Section 1031 to American citizens was in the bill that we originally approved…and the administration asked us to remove the language which says that U.S. citizens and lawful residents would not be subject to this section,” said Levin, Chairman of the Armed Services Committee.
edit on 12/31/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Yes that may be the one.

can't watch it now, internet is slow here today.

Can someone confirm the "magic words" ?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

As Levin said last week, it was the White House itself that demanded Section 1031 apply to American citizens.

“The language which precluded the application of Section 1031 to American citizens was in the bill that we originally approved…and the administration asked us to remove the language which says that U.S. citizens and lawful residents would not be subject to this section,” said Levin, Chairman of the Armed Services Committee.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Dec. 21st 2012 can't come soon enough.
Suddenly, an asteroid smashing into the earth doesn't look so bad.

Believe me.
edit on 1-1-2012 by tungus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Yes, that's the one !

They used the old "Statue of Liberty" play in American football

The Statue of Liberty is a trick play in American football, occasionally seen in high school football, college football and the NFL.

Execution of the play

Although many variations of the play exist, the most common involves the quarterback taking the snap from the center, dropping back, and gripping the ball with two hands as if he were to throw. He then takes his non-throwing hand and uses it to place the ball behind his back while pump faking a throw to one side of the field. While his arm is still in motion during the fake throw, he hands the ball off behind his back to a running back or a wide receiver in motion, who runs the football to the opposite side of the field. The play is contingent upon the defense being tricked out of position by the pump fake, and then being unable to catch up with the runner as he runs in the opposite direction of the fake.

The play is named after the positioning of the quarterback as he hands the ball off. If done correctly, he should have one hand in the air and the other at his side, resembling the pose of the Statue of Liberty. When executed properly, the Statue of Liberty is a very deceptive and high-yardage play. However, because of the difficult coordination of motions it is often very challenging to properly execute the play, and this may lead to a fumble, sack, or lost yardage. Additionally, disciplined defenses will be more likely to pick up on the fake and will not be tricked by the play.

Statue of Liberty play

Sounds like the U.S. Congress !

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Obama promises... where did I see that before...right :

It also restricts the transfers of cleared detainees from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to foreign countries for resettlement or repatriation, making it more difficult to close Guantanamo, as President Obama pledged to do in one of his first acts in office.

So in the same article, Obama PROMISES he won't use indefinite detention without trial against American citizens, while at the SAME TIME make it tougher to close Guantanamo, one of his leading campaign promises...

And some people will still defend this POS...

reply to post by Kali74

"My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens," Obama said in the signing statement. "Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

Yeah riiiiiiiiight. Let's all believe you. I mean, you never ever lied when it came to presidential power now did you?

And you don't care about the rule of law, hell you ASSASSINATED two American citizens in Yemen without any trial or proof or conviction before the NDAA was even passed.

reply to post by kawika

Court can not test it though until someone is arrested.

Except it cannot be tested in court since nobody get a day in court if arrested under the NDAA.

And another sign that Obama is FULL OF IT : he waited till New Year's Eve to sign it. Stinking bastard.
edit on 1-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
And what is disgusting is that all those US based articles are saying how Obama was ``weak`` and really it's not his fault. But this is total bull.

Obama abysmal record on civil liberties

Here we are. More than 10 years after the 9/11 attacks, more than six months since the killing of Osama bin Laden and less than a year away from the next presidential election, Barack Obama is about to sign into law the National Defence Authorisation Act (NDAA). It authorises the indefinite detention in military custody of US citizens who are suspected of having "substantially supported" al-Qaida, the Taliban or "associated forces" - and makes such detention mandatory for foreign nationals who are accused of having links to al-Qaida.

In fact, say civil liberties lawyers and human rights groups, this pernicious and Orwellian piece of legislation doesn't only enshrine in US law (in sections 1021 and 1022) indefinite military imprisonment without trial for terror suspects, but also makes it much easier for the government to transfer - or "render" - US citizens to foreign regimes for interrogation or incarceration, (also section 1021) and much more difficult to close the prison camp at Guantánamo Bay(sections 1023, 1026, 1027, and 1028).

Obama and the Democrats have a great deal to answer for. This brazen militarisation of US civilian justice and law enforcement cannot just be laid at the door of dastardly Republicans in Congress. In the Senate, the bill was co-sponsored by a Democratic senator, Carl Levin; in the House of Representatives, it sailed through with the support of 93 Democrats, including the minority leader, Nancy Pelosi (despite being opposed by, among others, the directors of the FBI and the CIA, the attorney general and the defence secretary).

The president has the power to veto the bill and, initially, his aides had suggested he would do so. However, citing vague "changes" to the language of the bill, Obama - the most veto-shy president since James Garfield in the 1880s - made a U-turn this month and withdrew his veto threat in what a New York Times editorial called "a complete political cave-in, one that reinforces the impression of a fumbling presidency".

But this isn't about the president's political incompetence or abject weakness. It is, above all, yet another example of Obama's refusal to stand up for civil liberties and the rule of law. Over the past three years, the former constitutional law professor has failed to close Guantánamo Bay, expanded the detention facility at Bagram airbase in Afghanistan, defended the use of warrantless surveillance and military tribunals, and - shockingly - asserted the right to assassinate, via drone strike and without due process, US citizens he deems to be terrorists. As the leading US legal scholar Jonathan Turley has argued, "the election of Barack Obama may stand as one of the single most devastating events in our history for civil liberties".

They start disappearing people, the civil war will begin. The stage has been set. If Ron Paul continues to surge, they will stage a new OKC false-flag and blame Ron Paulites, people will disappear and it'll be fight or die time.
edit on 1-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well, this goes hand in hand with all of the new super-massive FEMA prison camps being built in the US, as well as the super massive loony bin up in AK. I wonder was his signing the NDAA a message to the American people? Something is about to go down and the US government knows when.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

yep I am replying to my self, moil should have been Mil, but moil fits "members of infinite lies" that is if they should go after Us citizens that have done nothing more than excise their 1st amendment right, protest in peaceful manner, or go on strike with just cause, ie. better working conditions or for safety issues just a couple to name, there are many reasons to go on strike just as there are to protest, it is a manner of how it done. the last thing i would want to see in MSM or hear about is some protester going by by to Git Mo for hitting a MP with nothing more than a flower, or some union worker for saying "your a Obama puppet"

edit on 1-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

"My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens," Obama said in the signing statement.

Yeah right. That's your administration. The alphabet agencies always do unimaginable things.

"Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

Yeah right puppet sweet-talker.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This is just another example of political double-speak...The president is looking you in the eyes and saying "No sir, I will NOT rob you," while his right hand is in your jacket pocket. I just cannot believe that any American is brainwashed enough to believe this lie.

It is so absurdly obvious that if he does not want this type of illegal act to ever occur, then he shouldn't have approved it. Approving it and saying I will never use it is probably on my top 10 list of stupidest things I have ever heard a president say.

Obama is BLATANTLY lying, and this is about something that affects us all on a huge level. Clinton lied about something I couldn't care less about, and look what happened with him. Look what happened to Bush for lying about WMD's...He got even richer.

The only time the word "impeachment" was so heavily leaned upon was in Clinton's case. Does anyone not see the fundamental problems with that?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

geez thanks mr president, for signing it on holiday while we are all distracted.

edit on 1-1-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Happy 2012, the whole bill stinks and your political representative needs to be stripped of office and an early election of said traitors called for,

America has just sleep walked into a Fascist State, giving birth to a modern day Hitler! That bill is the final nail in the corporate plans to put you completely under the cosh,

The educated members on ATS need to start putting more effort into helping educate the people who have been systematically dumbed down through bad diet ( Aspartame, Vaccines, Fast/Junk Foods, Flouridation, etc) that has inhibited their ability to rationalise reality,

I sincerely hope you guys can turn this around, and re-instate the 2nd Amendment while removing this newly added Defence Bill, TSA Rapists, and Homeland Security. You biggest enemy anywhere in the world is your so called sell out leaders,

Peace and love to you and your families, children and future generations of American Sovereigns.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Got to love how he signed this bill on New Years Eve while so many people were distracted

See you all in the Detention Camps

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
Got to love how he signed this bill on New Years Eve while so many people were distracted

See you all in the Detention Camps

Well maybe.

Depends if they use blindfolds

See no evil, speak no evil as they say.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
That seems like a TOTAL cop out. He signed something into law that he KNOWS will allow for the detention of American citizens, but *HE* isn't going to do it, so I guess he thinks we can't possibly blame *HIM*.

He's always trying to cover himself, isn't he? Kind of like when he voted "present" all of those times so he wouldn't have to take a position.

I can not respect him for that one single bit.

not to mention, he LIES!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join