It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Mosquitoes to be Released in the US for the First Time (Florida January, 2012)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Genetically Modified Mosquitoes to be Released in the US for the First Time

Genetically modified mosquitoes coming to a state near you (Florida keys) as early as January, 2012. I was wondering when this was going to happen. There was a thread a couple years back about bioengineering scientist who was murdered in the Cayman Islands (I think) about the time of the first trial of these genetically modified mosquitoes.

I'd appreciate help in finding it now as there was supposition at the time that her (I think it was "her") death was linked to the trial. The company's name is Oxitec.

The mosquitoes are genetically modified with a gene designed to kill them unless given an antibiotic known as tetracycline. Offspring of the GM mosquitoes will receive this same lethal gene which will kill the offspring before it can ever reach adulthood. As more genetically modified mosquitoes mate with wild mosquitoes, the idea is that more and more offspring will be produced with the lethal gene, thereby reducing the mosquito population.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

join