It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicotine Is Not Dangerous

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This is what I just read on a swedish msm site.
www.aftonbladet.se... Sorry that the text is just in swedish, perhaps someone can translate it for me/us using google or something?

Roughly it says that nicotine in it self is not dangerous and not very addictive. It's the social aspect of cigaretts that make you addicted Though the swedish porfessor Hans Gilljam does not say that smoking is'nt dangerous (it is), but the nicotine in itself is not very harmful.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think that it's probably very true (atleast the health part), it's most likely the other stuff in cigarettes that's bad for you. I used to smoke but switched over to "snus" (a tobacco product that's put under lip) and I feel a lot better even though my body is still fully loaded of nicotine.

But I'm still addicted to this snus, and i suppose nicotine

What I want said with this thread I do not actually know, just felt like I wanted to share it

//Azmodan
edit on 30-12-2011 by Azmodan85 because: Added bold text..

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Azmodan85

If it weren't a Swedish source, I'd assume it was the work of a tobacco lobbyist.

Some people will do just about anything to justify their bad habits and those of others.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

If it weren't a Swedish source, I'd assume it was the work of a tobacco lobbyist.

Some people will do just about anything to justify their bad habits and those of others.

Yeah well, we in sweden are in for a higher tax on the tobacco products (Starting 2012) so that might be some way of still selling it

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
What's next?

Secondhand smoke isn't real? I'd like to offer my asthma caused by years of breathing the cigarette smoke of a relative as proof. Just being around it triggers my asthma.
edit on 30-12-2011 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I'm a smoker and I don't know if it's the nicotine I'm actually addicted to but I do know that nicotine is poisonous!!! So...............

And I would prefer if it wasn't referred to as a BAD habit!! Probably from a none smoker who will now pipe up and try to justify that comment with I'm an ex smoker! Well that's even worse

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
What's next?

Secondhand smoke isn't real? I'd like to offer my asthma caused by years of breathing the cigarette smoke of a relative as proof. Just being around it triggers my asthma.
edit on 30-12-2011 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

Sorry to hear that. Though he does say that the smoke is bad, but not the nicotine.
And I must say that it's pretty selfish not to care about those people around if one is smoking

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

There have been studies done...that nicotine...promotes....atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries. Both my parents died from lung cancer....they were avid cigarette smokers....I have never smoked...I decided that my parents early deaths taught me not to smoke.

Link: www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

There have been studies done...that nicotine...promotes....atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries. Both my parents died from lung cancer....they were avid cigarette smokers....I have never smoked...I decided that my parents early deaths taught me not to smoke.

Link: www.sciencedaily.com...

Sorry about your parents but it's not about if smoking is dangerous (that I think most people can agree on that it is) but about the nicotine itself.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Yes...I know....this thread is about nicotine and I provided a link to an article about it. Also...my first sentence speaks about nicotine too...so I am on topic. Did you even read the article?

edit on 30-12-2011 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I am a smoker.
I quit for 12 years, then started again.
I quit for 9 years another time, then started again.
I intend to quit again tomorrow night, cold turkey, as that has worked before.
Nicotine is a poison. A large enough dose will kill you.
It is an insecticide.
It is most definitely addictive, IMO.

Sixty milligrams of nicotine (the amount in about 30-40 cigarettes [1]), has the potential to kill an adult who is not a smoker[2] if all of the nicotine were absorbed. This figure is ~120 mg in chronic cigarette smokers, smoking an average of 20 non-light cigarettes delivering ~1.7 mg of nicotine each daily. One cigarette's-worth of nicotine is enough to make a toddler severely ill. In some cases children have become poisoned by topical medicinal creams which contain nicotine.

Source: Wikipedia
edit on 30-12-2011 by butcherguy because: To add.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Yes...I know....this thread is about nicotine and I provided a link to an article about it. Also...my first sentence speaks about nicotine too...so I am on topic. Did you even read the article?

edit on 30-12-2011 by caladonea because: add more

I did and I feel like it's about nicotine in cigarett smoke. Smoke is probably always harmful for your lungs..
"These findings are preliminary. Going forward we will want to look at whether doping cigarettes with extra nicotine increases their atherogenic potential; whether blockers of nicotine reduce atherosclerosis; and if oral administration of nicotine has the same effects," says Dr. Catanzaro.
But this is just my understanding of the text, might be all wrong, would'nt be the first time

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It is my understanding that nicotine, in itself is no more dangerous than say caffeine. It is about moderation. Drinking too much water can be dangerous, drinking too much caffeine can be dangerous and ingesting too much nicotine can be dangerous. This does not make nicotine a poison though. Simply dangerous in large quantities. There is a difference.

I have never heard anyone suggest (with evidence) that nicotine is not addictive though. That is a new one. Though yes, from my reading up on the topic nicotine by itself is not all that harmful and doesn't by itself cause cancer. It is not the nicotine in cigarettes that causes chronic illness but rather the other chemicals.

Nicotine has actually been found to have some suspected health benefits such as helping treat ADHD, slowing or reversing the effects of Alzheimer disease, preventing Parkinson, and boosts the growth of new blood vessels.

Aside from the obvious calming effect it induces.

A few links to back up my post

www.medicalnewstoday.com...
Does Nicotine Cause Cancer?

curiosity.discovery.com...
Alzheimer, ADHD, Nicotine info

www.naturalnews.com...
Preventing Parkinson's

health.howstuffworks.com...
General Info

edit on 30-12-2011 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by simples
I'm a smoker and I don't know if it's the nicotine I'm actually addicted to but I do know that nicotine is poisonous!!! So...............

And I would prefer if it wasn't referred to as a BAD habit!! Probably from a none smoker who will now pipe up and try to justify that comment with I'm an ex smoker! Well that's even worse

If you can tell me anything about smoking that makes it a GOOD habit, I am all ears.

Signed, current smoker.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Nicotine is used as an insecticide. It is an alkaloid and very addictive. It is poisionous. Here's a couple of links.
link

link

and just for fun

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azmodan85
Roughly it says that nicotine in it self is not dangerous and not very addictive.

Nicotine is extremely addictive. Without looking it up, I think it is the second most addictive drug on the planet behind Caffeine if I remember correctly, so that is false.

Nicotine isn't what is dangerous in the cigarette (not to say it isn't at all), but it's the carcinogens that carry the nicotine to your lungs that makes SO dangerous. It's also why second hand smoke in some regards is more dangerous than what the person smoking it is getting, if filtered. secure.wikimedia.org... There are some really dangerous chemicals in smokes some of which you wouldn't believe unless you checked it out. Too tired to point it all out right now.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Nicotine is addictive. Not quite as addictive as coffeine thought. It is not poison thought. It is poison only in huge amounts and if purified. You might as well say water is poison because enough of it will kill you.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Nicotine is addictive. Not quite as addictive as coffeine thought. It is not poison thought. It is poison only in huge amounts and if purified. You might as well say water is poison because enough of it will kill you.

toxicity
Toxicity
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Anti-smoking advocates highlight the long-term health effects, like cancer and emphysema, that result from a lifetime of smoking or chewing tobacco -- but these maladies are the result of chemicals in cigarettes other than nicotine. Unfortunately, the fact that nicotine alone is an extremely toxic poison often goes unmentioned. Not many people realize that nicotine is also sold commercially in the form of a pesticide! And every year, many children go to the emergency room after eating cigarettes or cigarette butts. Sixty milligrams of nicotine (about the amount in three or four cigarettes if all of the nicotine were absorbed) will kill an adult, but consuming only one cigarette's worth of nicotine is enough to make a toddler severely ill.

What happens to people after ingesting nicotine? Nicotine poisoning causes vomiting and nausea, headaches, difficulty breathing, stomach pains and seizures. Each of these symptoms can be traced back to excessive stimulation of cholinergic neurons. People poisoned by organophosphate insecticides experience the exact same symptoms. With organophosphates, acetylcholine builds up at synapses and overstimulates the neurons. Because nicotine is so similar to acetylcholine, and binds to cholinergic receptors, nicotine in excess produces the same overstimulation and toxicity. The more nicotine binding to the nicotinic cholinergic receptors, the more acetylcholine is subsequently released and free to activate other subsets of cholinergic receptors

Seriously , You don't think it's poisionous. 60 miligrams is a pretty small amount. You might want to check out the links I posted above.
edit on 12/30/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join