It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nintendo DS helps woman who suffered stroke speak again.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Games console helps woman who suffered stroke to speak again

Didn't know whether to post this here or under a health forum really but decided on here.

A WOMAN who suffered a major stroke has learned to speak again – thanks to playing games on her Nintendo DS. Linda Learmouth, 48, of Chelmsford Avenue, Grimsby, had a serious stroke five years ago while she and her husband, Kelvin, 59, were living in Spain.

Link

As well as leaving her partially paralysed down her right side, devastatingly it also damaged her speech – all she could manage were slurred words that Kelvin found hard to understand. Following a stroke, early intervention is vital for the best chance of recovery and Linda desperately needed speech therapy – but they were living in Spain and didn't speak the language. Medical treatment was also too expensive.

"With the interactive pet games, she had to tell the dog to sit and take them on virtual walks. Things she couldn't do in reality. With the Brain Training she had to practice and get quicker at answering the questions. I thought it might give her some sort of meaning. "When she spoke to the Nintendo to play games, she had to get it right otherwise it wouldn't understand her and it wouldn't do what she wanted. She had to repeat the same words over and over again and if she didn't say it properly it wouldn't work. "Slowly I saw her speech was coming back."

Posted this as I thought some may find it interesting or useful for them or a loved one.

Now I know it's not particularly healthy to sit on a games console all day but I wonder if this would help children that need speech therapy also? Obviously not in replace of any professional therapy's but combined maybe.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bex33

At first i thought this was a blatant AD for the DS, however it makes sence that speech recognition software can help you with pronounciation.

The same thing could be done with alot of other devices as well, of course. A PC with a Microphone and some software could perhaps do it just as good, although admittedly it would cost more and not be as portable.

Awesome find!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

I also wonder if the brain training aspect will have helped to repair any damaged brain cells helping her more than she even knows it yet. It would be great if that was found to be the case!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It would be fun to see what kind of driving skills she gets back after playing Mario kart...but I wouldn't want to get too close.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bex33

Apparently it really works.
Olivia Newton john endorses Nintendo for a similar reason.

I.m really glad this technology is helping.

love and harmony
Whateva

top topics

join