It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: OB-GYNs kept from 'practicing their love'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Bush: OB-GYNs kept from 'practicing their love'
07 Sep 2004 00:56:01 GMT
Source: Reuters
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo., Sept 6 (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush offered an unexpected reason on Monday for cracking down on frivolous medical lawsuits: "Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

The Republican president, long known for verbal and grammatical lapses, included the anecdote about obstetrician gynecologists in his stump speech attacking Democratic presidential rival Sen. John Kerry and his running mate, Sen. John Edwards, a former trial lawyer.

At a rally of cheering supporters in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, Bush made his usual pitch for limiting "frivolous lawsuits" that he said drive up the cost of health care and run doctors out of business.

But then he added, "We've got an issue in America. Too many good docs are getting out of business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

Unfazed, Bush went on to deride his rivals as "pro-trial lawyer," and concluded, "I think you've got to make a choice. My opponent made his choice, and he put him on the ticket. I made my choice. I'm for medical liability reform now."
Reuters
LINK TO VIDEO

Is Bush right? Are frivolous medical lawsuits preventing OB-GYNs from practicing their love?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hrm... if a gynecologist attempted to "practice his love" on a woman who just wanted a checkup, I should hope she'd be able to sue!

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I remember bush talking about the OB-GYNs having to many "frivolous lawsuits" but I missed the loving women thing.

That is sick.

[edit on 9-9-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I've been glued to the news a few days looking for this. I heard it got air once then disappeared. You know how the liberal media do. Run Kerry clips into the ground making him look bad, but give Bush/Cheney a big fat pass on their gasbag gaffes.

Here's FredT's post on the issue of Medical Liability Reform from the platform of W, which I strongly oppose as being medical "accountability" limitation.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Where I live several doctors have stopped practicing as obstetricians and now only practice gynecology. The doctor who delivered my daughter is one of them. We were hoping he would deliver our newest baby but found out due to increases in insurance that he stopped his ob practice. We ended up having to find a new doctor to deliver or baby boy.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Has anyone else on here ever said something while thinking of something else? Let's give the guy a break. A couple of times I have been talking to someone and thinking about calling my wife next, then, all of a sudden I tell the person on the phone "I love you." Talk about embarrassing.

Does this happen to W more often than others, probably not. He's just put under much more scrutiny.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
uh,

Their "Love" is practicing this form of Medicine.!
It IS fortunate that he was not talking about Shepherds, or pig farmers though.

Keep grasping, you Bushwackers! LOL.

[edit on 9-9-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Man, and we wonder why few quality people run for office?
Maybe we could have a media strike or something for the next 8 weeks, please.

The man said this, tripped over his words, who hasn't. I'm sure the other candidate has done the same....oh yeah, he mentioned his war record and it goes on...and on...and on.

And, RANT, if you ever listen to IMUS in the MOrning, on MSNBC, the quote was played over and over. I think I heard it on Fox in the evening.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
And, RANT, if you ever listen to IMUS in the MOrning, on MSNBC, the quote was played over and over. I think I heard it on Fox in the evening.

Damn, I always forget about MSNBC. Chris Matthews and all that.

CNN is really starting to suck, bending over backwards to not be deemed "liberal." And you're right, Fox would be more likely to show the clip now than CNN (along with a healthy dose of editorial though).

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf
Has anyone else on here ever said something while thinking of something else? Let's give the guy a break.

dcgolf, you are right!
Imagine if we jumped all over peoples mispellings and such, here on ATS..
However, I don't think he misspoke this time.. I think he was misinterpreted.

Baseball players, they love their jobs, their sports, they practice their love.
Same with anyone else who love's their job..

In this case, the fact it was a man, saying it about a job that involves women,
well, it just sounded funny...Almost like a PUN..

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have to say im still laughing about that one

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
CNN is really starting to suck, bending over backwards to not be deemed "liberal." And you're right, Fox would be more likely to show the clip now than CNN (along with a healthy dose of editorial though).

Why would CNN do that? They still seem quite liberal to me...

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I don't want any OBGYN showing me their love!!!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
nothing to see here, move along. misunderstanding of bush's statement. I wonder who wrote that speech?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Is Bush right? Are frivolous medical lawsuits preventing OB-GYNs from practicing their love?

That medication has got to be messin' with Dubya. He says things that are more stupid and unintelligable than anything else I have ever heard in my life. He makes no sense whatsoever and gives me a damn headache trying to decipher his bizzare language. Just give the guy a wild turkey and a few lines. Maybe then he'd make sense.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I know that in US states that are "tort" friendly - medical insurance is so expensive that many doctors can barely afford to pay it and pay for their schooling and normal living expenses.
I know doctors who are spending just shy of $90k per year on medical insurance. These are doctors who are reputable and have never had a case against them...

Tort reform is needed - not an end to medical law suits - just reform that will enable good doctors to practice their profession without going broke.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
Hrm... if a gynecologist attempted to "practice his love" on a woman who just wanted a checkup, I should hope she'd be able to sue!

-koji K.

These days, more women are OB-GYN's than men... check the stats...

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

That medication has got to be messin' with Dubya. He says things that are more stupid and unintelligable than anything else I have ever heard in my life. He makes no sense whatsoever and gives me a damn headache trying to decipher his bizzare language. Just give the guy a wild turkey and a few lines. Maybe then he'd make sense.

I wonder it is any other presidents in history that is as bad speaker as bush? I mean how long does it take for somebody to go over a speech and make the necessary corrections to it.

I wonder does he know how to read? Or he just read as he goes.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Marge, I asked the same questions about Kerry speech he gave at midnight after the Presidents speech at the RNC. I was told then by the Dems that it was just coming from his heart and that it's okay not to be a great speaker.

We are fortunate that we do not have to listen to some of the earlier Presidents.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I found this in the internet about presidents IQ. very interesting, I apologized it has been brought up before.

www.megaone.com...

147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
132 Harry Truman (D)
122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
174 John F. Kennedy (D)
126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
121 Gerald Ford (R)
175 James E. Carter (D)
105 Ronald Reagan (R)
098 George HW Bush (R)
182 William J. Clinton (D)
091 George W. Bush (R)

The six Republican presidents of the past 50 years had an average IQ of 115.5, with President Nixon having the highest IQ, at 155.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join