It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now that its over....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
OK, so I'm a 49 yo widow. don't get me wrong I'm grateful to have family and friends.

SO now that Christmas is over, anyone else 'alone' notice how there were tons of cards, emails, texts, and calls wishing you a Merry Christmas?
Then..... that's it. All over.
Yesterday I blissfully sat at home, no work, no invites, actually grateful to have some 'me' time.
But it got me to thinking, what's up with all those people that feel compelled at Christmas to contact me?
What about the other 364 days a year?
I just got to thinking it's odd that so many people only think of other people at Christmas. I'm not complaining, the street goes both ways.
just my 2 cents on the Christmas Holiday. Alot of running here and there, worrying if you bought/got enough.
Just seems like alot of nerve racking hub-bub to me.
Looking forward to New Years, now that's a holiday that can be spent with Real friends who Really care.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

*hug*

An astute observation, and kind of a sad one, admittedly. With the way our world is set up, and how wound up we all get in the day-to-day (which DOES admittedly get frantic and consuming quite often), it's mainly the big yearly checkpoints that prompt us to actually reach out to those we should talk to more often.

No worries though, sister. Your ATS family is always here for you, just toss out a shout-out every once in awhile and get your filling of love at need.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

When the music's over, turn out the lights.

Jim Morrison.
Not to mention its unlucky to have them burning on the wrong day. 12 days of Xmas or something...
Catholic mysticism

But hey, don't be sad. Its just another day. No deluge of cards, texts or emails here. Is that worse? Possibly not.
And if all else fails, you could just try getting quietly inebriated at home on new year's eve. Ahem.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

thank you for the hug, Praitorius.
I know, I got alot of ATS time in over the weekend. Wishing I was alone and it was just another day I suppose.
It's just so quiet all of a sudden.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

you're right, lightspeed. I Love(d) Jim Morrison.
New Years will be fun, got a friend coming in from Florida and there will no doubt be more (real) good friends that will come, get drunk, and stay the night. A whole different feel to that holiday, my little farm is a great place to party!
i guess I was just reeling from it all, I was actually glad to go to work today and get back to normal. and I should also call some of those people once in a while other than Christmas. Feeling guilty on my part, too.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Got any pets? If not, I recommend a cat (preferably one that doesn't full-on attack strangers like mine) and a small dog (which will hopefully get along with the cat as well as mine does). Not many dull moments!

And you can have as many hugs as you want whenever you need them. I am a Free Hugs provider (this MIGHT make you cry if you get as misty as I do over certain silly things):

How it all started:

I'd been living in London when my world turned upside down and I'd had to come home. By the time my plane landed back in Sydney, all I had left was a carry on bag full of clothes and a world of troubles. No one to welcome me back, no place to call home. I was a tourist in my hometown.

Standing there in the arrivals terminal, watching other passengers meeting their waiting friends and family, with open arms and smiling faces, hugging and laughing together, I wanted someone out there to be waiting for me. To be happy to see me. To smile at me. To hug me.

So I got some cardboard and a marker and made a sign. I found the busiest pedestrian intersection in the city and held that sign aloft, with the words "Free Hugs" on both sides.

And for 15 minutes, people just stared right through me. The first person who stopped, tapped me on the shoulder and told me how her dog had just died that morning. How that morning had been the one year anniversary of her only daughter dying in a car accident. How what she needed now, when she felt most alone in the world, was a hug. I got down on one knee, we put our arms around each other and when we parted, she was smiling.

Everyone has problems and for sure mine haven't compared. But to see someone who was once frowning, smile even for a moment, is worth it every time.

Be blessed, sister.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I was thinking the other day...some.people will contact me at Christmas time...be nice...etc. Then the rest of the year...it's like I don't exist.

You are right New Years is when the real friends show up and stay with us the rest of the year...and the years to follow.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

yes, you got it. ! there are friends/family, but then there are the real genuine friends and i'm grateful to have a few in my life. in my 'circle' so to speak.

I haven't seen that video for a long time. and yes, it made me teary. an excellent idea really, what humanity should be more attentive to. thanks i needed that. have a great new years praetorius (glasses tinking) cheers !
oh, yes I have lots of 'children'... 2 wonderful little parrots, 2 devoted dogs, horses, goats, chickens and barn cats. animals give out such unconditional love, it's the best!
edit on 28-12-2011 by horseplay because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Cry? Who me?
71 million views ain't lying!
I hadn't seen this particular one so thanks! We all need a hug sometimes and this just goes to prove it. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I had some company come to visit before the holidays but I didn't get too many Christmas cards. I'm not really into sending them out either so that may be part of it. I have more routine contact with brothers and sisters via Facebook and the phone. I probably never did thank someone for one Christmas card but I'll probably get around to it.

Just decided to say hi. I'm 45 and ATS seems to have a lot of younger people on it now. I mainly come here for entertainment and to hopefully read something interesting.

new topics

top topics

join