It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds No Benefit From Daily Multivitamin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Study Finds No Benefit From Daily Multivitamin

well.blogs.nytimes.com

In a study of 161,808 women who were part of the government-funded Women’s Health Initiative research effort, doctors from 40 centers around the country collected data on multivitamin use. While research shows that people who eat nutrient-rich diets filled with fruits and vegetables have lower rates of heart disease and cancer, it hasn’t been clear whether taking a daily supplement results in a similar benefit.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Greetings ATS,

I decided to open a thread about this multi vitamin "conspiracy" I suppose you could say. I read this article today on my lunch break, and it brought me back to some hear/say from the past.

I've heard that multivitamins can be really good for you, and it's a great way to supplement your diet. I also am aware that iron rich multivitamins can cause problems if you do not have an iron deficiency.

On the other hand, I've heard that it's all just a big pharma ploy to scam people out of their money, and basically give them placebos, while the public is none the wiser.

Upon reading this piece, I was reminded of these 2 things I've heard and read before, and I was on the fence about the topic to be perfectly honest. But after thinking about how the food industry is being controlled, nutrients aren't in foods much anymore due to all the processed foods.

I'm no health ranger by any means, but I've recently started adding whey protein and a multi vitamin to my daily routine, and I can't say for sure I see significant improvements in my health, I have felt like I'm not as run down, and that there are signs that multi vitamins really do help. My father has been taking them for most of what I can remember, and he still works hard outside, and doesn't hardly ever get sick, although he is getting older, and your joints do start to ache no matter what, but overall he's healthy as an OX.

So with that being said, I'd like to hear others opinions on the multi vitamins, and how it seems they are trying to dissuade people and leave them complacent. Do you use multi vitamins? Have you seen significant benefits from using them, or have you just given up on the idea of multivitamins and supplements all together?

Thanks!

well.blogs.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/28/2011 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Propaganda at it's finest...

Welcome to Codex Alimentarus. Where Vitamins are illegal cause they aren't drugs and actually help you as oppposed to make you sick. Here's the first wave of "research" that supports abolishing vitamins as a natural and proper way of keeping yourself healthy.

Now this is not to say that there aren't crappy vitamins out there. And there are stipulations to taking vitamins, as in, are you takin them properly? Is your body absorbing them. Just taking a multivitamin doesn't give you what you need, there are other things you need to take in conjuction with them to provide the results requested, or advertised.

I don't believe any of this crap though. They won't take away my natural suppliments, over my dead body.

Long live Wheat Grass Juice!

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Welcome to Codex Alimentarus. Where Vitamins are illegal cause they aren't drugs and actually help you as oppposed to make you sick. Here's the first wave of "research" that supports abolishing vitamins as a natural and proper way of keeping yourself healthy.

Now this is not to say that there aren't crappy vitamins out there. And there are stipulations to taking vitamins, as in, are you takin them properly? Is your body absorbing them. Just taking a multivitamin doesn't give you what you need, there are other things you need to take in conjuction with them to provide the results requested, or advertised.

I don't believe any of this crap though. They won't take away my natural suppliments, over my dead body.

~Keeper

As I said, I'm not a health freak, but I am trying more and more to take care of myself, starting to get old... so you know.

But as far as my diet, it's becoming less junk! I heard concentrates are probably the best way to go as far as absorption?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Just wheat grass juice.

Honestly, it's the best I've found. Full of anti-oxidants, your total daily value in nutrients from greens, plus a bunch of vitamins.

The problem with most people is they think they need to eat organic to be healthy, you don't. Although I do, but for other reasons, you can easily buy good produce from your local market. As long as you have good ingredients it doesn't matter what you make for yourself.

It's all about balance. You can suppliment Omega 3's as well into your diet, they work wonders for brain functions.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

Just wheat grass juice.

Honestly, it's the best I've found. Full of anti-oxidants, your total daily value in nutrients from greens, plus a bunch of vitamins.

The problem with most people is they think they need to eat organic to be healthy, you don't. Although I do, but for other reasons, you can easily buy good produce from your local market. As long as you have good ingredients it doesn't matter what you make for yourself.

It's all about balance. You can suppliment Omega 3's as well into your diet, they work wonders for brain functions.

Do you have a good source for Omega 3's? as in, ones that you know work? or is the pill form not as good?

I'm learning yay!

-- also you are right about the propaganda part, I didn't really see them pushing it hard, but this "study" might be the smoking gun for uninformed people, which is kind of scary.
edit on 12/28/2011 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
And this could be the start to justifying the selling of multi-vitamins and natural medicines as illegal. It's been coming for awhile now and this could be the Pharma way of saying "See, it doesn't work. So people shouldn't sell it. Only WE should be able to sell what WE think the people need."

Organic foods, milk, cheese and rain water...Illegal!

Be careful what you read and most of all, what you believe.

Peace

edit on 28-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The purpose of the standard multivitamin is to prevent deficiency of vitamins and minerals. It's really not helpful beyond that because the dosage of most of the ingredients is too low to be of additional benefit. Deficiencies aren't as prevalent as they used to be because a variety of food items are now fortified with small amounts of vitamins and minerals.

Given the iron content of many brands, they may even be detrimental for men (and women past menopause) who consume meat or other high-iron foods.

edit on 28-12-2011 by IamCorrect because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You don't need multi vitamins if your diet is good and you are feeling well.
The only time I take vit's ( C ) is when I start to feel like Iam getting a cold.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

I use Fish Oil. Just your regular garden variety, full of Omega 3. Tatstes like a bum but ohh well

Nothnig a little orance juice or apple juice doesn't fix.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I have done quite a bit of research into this over the years. My conclusions are as follows: People in the U.S. usually get most of the vitamins they need from food, even those with fairly unhealthy diets. That being said, there are several vitamins and nutrients that you can need. If you are fair complected, you will need about 15 minutes of sun daily to produce enough vitamin D, darker complexions may need 30 minutes or longer. If you do not get that much sun, you will likely be low on vitamin D. Vitamin B12 levels fall as people age, likely due to deterioration of cells in the stomach that help absorption, so it is possible that B12 supplementation will help people as they age. Women of childbearing age may need supplementation of folic acid to prevent neural tube defects. The amount of magnesium in food has declined considerably over the past 20 years or so, likely due to a combination of overfarming, herbicides (i.e. Roundup) which prevent plant absorption of magnesium and out corporate agriculture system which tries to get the highest yield out of limited farmland. Alcoholics tend to be low on many vitamins but the most important seem to be thiamine (to prevent a certain type of brain damage and memory loss) and magnesium. I would caution against the overuse of vitamin A (I would use beta-carotene instead) since higher vitamin A intakes are correlated with lower bone density. I would also caution against the overuse of vitamin D since it, like vitamin A, is fat-soluble and can cause toxic symptoms which include high calcium levels, body and bone pains and stomach problems. If I had to choose a single nutrient to take, it would be magnesium (as long as my kidney function was normal).

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

I use Fish Oil. Just your regular garden variety, full of Omega 3. Tatstes like a bum but ohh well

Nothnig a little orance juice or apple juice doesn't fix.

Sorry this was in the wrong forum. But blech! fish oil.. but I suppose I need to suck it up, and do what I need to do, ugh I hate being addicted to bad foods

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have cod liver on toast every 3 days, try it or the roe of cod that's good to for oil's. Tastes good too and if you go to a real fishmonger it will cost next to nowt.
But dont have to much fish oil in your diet can do more harm than good.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

~Keeper

Absolutely important for the absorption!

Everything quoted is accurate, and you definitely want to get the best available vitamins. Wal-Mart vitamins aren't going to do it - try getting them from Whole Foods or Sunflower as they have a greater supply of vitamins that will work.

Doing a good detox program will help you absorb those vitamins which is key. I would also recommended a candida and heavy metal cleansing system as well.

There are so many positive things you can take for your health, and if I weren't on a phone I could give you more

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cataka

You have to be a lady to multi-task so well
phone and typing wow

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

When I was a kid I got to go to a health convention and heard Dr Pauling speak. He said something that always stuck with me-"enzymes".

You can take all the vitamins in the world, you can eat all the healthiest food and still be sick if your body cannot absorb and use the nutrients.

I have an inherited B12 deficiency and lousy digestion.

I notice a huge difference when I eat well, take b12, d3, a vit c, a good multivitamin AND a digestive enzyme.

Nothing replaces food nutrients. No vitamin is as good as healthy food utilized by the body. BUT I firmly believe in doing it all-eating well and taking vitamins with enzymes to digest and absorb.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thanks all for the replies and info!

if people could leave some sources that they believe are accurate, could you please leave them in your comments so I can reference them in the future?

thanks!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
There's a great book out there called the 1000 natural cures they don't want you to know about.

en.wikipedia.org...'t_Want_You_to_Know_About

People rag on him for selling his product, but it's been a smear campaign paid for by the drug companies to keep this information in the dark.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Link doesnt work dude

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

There's a great book out there called the 1000 natural cures they don't want you to know about.

en.wikipedia.org...'t_Want_You_to_Know_About

People rag on him for selling his product, but it's been a smear campaign paid for by the drug companies to keep this information in the dark.

OH MAN! i think I actually threw a book with that name away when I was going through things, doh!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join