It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captured: America in Color from 1939-1943

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I found this collection of 70 pictures from the late 30's-early 40's. The pictures are of great quality. They look like they were taken yesterday.

These images, by photographers of the Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information, are some of the only color photographs taken of the effects of the Depression on America’s rural and small town populations. The photographs are the property of the Library of Congress and were included in a 2006 exhibit Bound for Glory: America in Color.

Take a look! This is my first thread, but I found these photos very interesting to look at. I thought you guys would as well.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Wow, those are great quality. Good find! I can't believe that they look that good. I had no idea that they could produce those kind of pictures in those days.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Love them. Thanks for posting...Excellent quality. Certain that they must have digitized them.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing! heres my fave:

WOW

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I absolutely LOVEEE old photos!

These are amazing - thanks for posting!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Remember when people actually gave a sh*t about how they presented themselves in public......

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos1220

Pretty cool. I find it kind of strange though that the only people I see smiling though in all those photos were the tankers (Soldiers).

When my father was deployed to Vietnam back when I was a rug rat. Life for me in rural Wisconsin was much the same as protrayed here. But I remember lots of smiles and laughter...mainly because I was causing trouble.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Those are truly amazing pictures. The people were so hard back then.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
That's it, I'm going back in time.

ORANGES are 1 cent!!!!!!!!!!!

Surprised no UFOs were caught in the process.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Wow! Those really are great quality!

I wasn't aware that cameras of that time were able to capture such clear color photos. You sure they weren't taken by John Titor or something?

Or maybe, the guy in this thread's picture, holding the camera:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now THAT is something to think about...

edit on 28/12/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
These are remarkable. Thank you for sharing this, it's put a bright spot on my morning!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Nice find poster. I like #58.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Surprised no UFOs were caught in the process.

Ha! I can see, in almost every picture with a sky scene" a object that could be a UFO. Probably just a bird, but I have seen plenty of threads here on ATS with these same objects in the sky. I have not tried to enlarge to see. But if you look careful you can see a back dot in the sky on quite a few...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
wow, Thanks for sharing!
I absolutely love looking at these periods before color photography was employed much.
love the lens on the camera too. nice depth of field in some of the shots. timeless truth of America and who built us.
amazing.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Great pictures,, the Gov propaganda on the wall art in pic # 69 caught my eyes.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
These were a real treat to see, as color photographs of everyday situations during that era are rare indeed. Notice how the kids were good and dirty, but healthy...back in the days when kids were supposed to run around outside getting grubby while they played.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

lol buy war bonds

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Ah, these are spectacular. I could look at this stuff all day. There's a romanticism to them that you really get swept up in. Most people wouldn't last a month living the way those guys did.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
it makes you think of better and wholesome times, until you start to think that that generation was the most bloodthirsty and vicious ever to walk the earth responsible for the deaths of over 60 million people.

notice nobodies smiling in any of the pictures.

well, the call of duty generation may surpass them.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Amazing pictures! You guys think maybe in the future at a theme park there will be a ride that can take you to the past? i hope so!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join