It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Fifth Fleet says won't allow disruption in Hormuz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

DUBAI, Dec 28 (Reuters) - The U.S. Fifth Fleet said on Wednesday it will not allow any disruption of traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, after Iran threatened to stop ships moving through the strategic oil route. "The free flow of goods and services through the Strait of Hormuz is vital to regional and global prosperity," a spokesperson for the Bahrain-based fleet said in a written response to queries from Reuters about the possibility of Iran trying to close the waterway. "Anyone who threatens to disrupt freedom of navigation in an international strait is clearly outside the community of nations; any disruption will not be tolerated."

Is the breaking point trigger for the War? This is a very stern warning from the US.

ph.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
but the problem is what happens should they decide to take a few containerships and at strategic points blow the side out of them so that it stops all traffic as while the ships can be removed eventually its not going to be a few days of work to raise a ship that resembles swiss cheese and get it out of the way

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Here's the Reuters link:

US Fifth Fleet Says Won't Allow Disruption In Hormuz
Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:03pm GMT

DUBAI Dec 28 (Reuters) - The U.S. Fifth Fleet said on Wednesday it will not allow any disruption of traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, after Iran threatened to stop ships moving through the strategic oil route.

"The free flow of goods and services through the Strait of Hormuz is vital to regional and global prosperity," a spokesperson for the Bahrain-based fleet said in a written response to queries from Reuters about the possibility of Iran trying to close the waterway.

"Anyone who threatens to disrupt freedom of navigation in an international strait is clearly outside the community of nations; any disruption will not be tolerated."
(Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk and Andrew Hammond; Writing by Joseph Logan; Editing by Louise Ireland)
af.reuters.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This could be the spark the tinder box has been waiting for. Mark my words. We WILL see a nuclear exchange during hostilities at some point this coming year, I have no doubt about it. Sadly the war drums that have been beating in the distance are now becoming loud and clear.

It's going to be one hell of a year.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Am I insane for agreeing with our Navy about this? Hear me out before jumping the gun.

When it comes to this whole Iran-Israel-USA cold war (be honest, that is what it is) going on, I think the fault of the matter lies with the one who begins the aggression. Historically, the USA could be blamed for overthrowing a democratically elected leader several decades ago, arguable plunging the entire country into radicalism as a direct reaction.

Since then, the entire country has been punished with strong words and sanctions for saying some controversial statements. Yet, when it comes down to it, they haven't instigated direct aggression. It is an inarguable fact that Iran supports terrorism against us and our allies, and that support for this sometimes goes beyond mere words. Financially supporting this sort of thing isn't going to help anybody in the long runner, and only further deepening our rift.

Then something like this comes along. Consider for a moment that disruption of this straight doesn't just affect us and many of our allies, but countries that don't even take a strong stance on the whole affair. Why should Iran punish countries that are at best uncaring to their position? Disrupting world oil flow hurts people unnecessarily and shouldn't go unpunished by the global community.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This is DEFINATELY the spark that will set off the tinder box. We wont tolerate any disruption in oil. We will, tolerate you screwing us in alot of different ways, but if you try to mess with the oil, god help you. You will make a lot of enemies real quick as prices rise world wide. Lets see Iran stand against every nation that is dependent on foreign oil....

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hello to all. First time poster here. I have been lurking around this site and figured what the heck, might as well sign up. I got pretty fed up with msm and the blatant ignoring of subjects that I find should be known. Thus with the aid of Google I found ATS.
Has anyone ever seen that old movie "Countdown to looking glass"? Just had to share that. In the movie the strait of Hormuz gets blocked and triggers a global conflict. I do believe that Iran wants to trigger something much larger than just a relief in sanctions. My theory on this is that Iran wants to unify Muslims against the West. Iran wants a conflict to occur and is poking the USA with a stick. I believe this is a tinderbox ready to go. If we do act on Iran and start sinking their fleet, I wonder what Iran's next move would be? I think it would be some sort of aggressive act on Israel. I cannot see us making a move on Syria yet. But I do find the Iranian strategy of betting on a conflict with the USA to be somewhat unnerving.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pastandpresent
Hello to all. First time poster here. I have been lurking around this site and figured what the heck, might as well sign up. I got pretty fed up with msm and the blatant ignoring of subjects that I find should be known. Thus with the aid of Google I found ATS.
Has anyone ever seen that old movie "Countdown to looking glass"? Just had to share that. In the movie the strait of Hormuz gets blocked and triggers a global conflict. I do believe that Iran wants to trigger something much larger than just a relief in sanctions. My theory on this is that Iran wants to unify Muslims against the West. Iran wants a conflict to occur and is poking the USA with a stick. I believe this is a tinderbox ready to go. If we do act on Iran and start sinking their fleet, I wonder what Iran's next move would be? I think it would be some sort of aggressive act on Israel. I cannot see us making a move on Syria yet. But I do find the Iranian strategy of betting on a conflict with the USA to be somewhat unnerving.

First: welcome to ATS

Second: Iran wants to be LEFT ALONE, they are seeking freedom and independence is that so hard to understand?.

33 years of hard, suffocating and illegally embargo, sanctions, war thereat form left and right, espionage, terrorist acts and assassinations against the Iranian nation ( a nation of 73 millions with a more than 3000 years of well developed culture), blocking their international assets etc. is not enough..?

You guys in Amerika kill and beat up people wearing stupid $180 “Nike shoes” to stealing from, calling the Iranian terrorist? and the still dare to theorizing like "My theory on this is that Iran wants to unify Muslims against the West. Iran wants a conflict to occur and is poking the USA with a stick."??

Sit back a bit and think about it… who do you fooling..?... really!

edit on 28-12-2011 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by amkia

Originally posted by pastandpresent

First: welcome to ATS

Second: Iran wants to be LEFT ALONE, they are seeking freedom and independence is that so hard to understand?.

33 years of hard, suffocating and illegally embargo, sanctions, war thereat form left and right, espionage, terrorist acts and assassinations against the Iranian nation ( a nation of 73 millions with a more than 3000 years of well developed culture), blocking their international assets etc. is not enough..?

You guys in Amerika kill and beat up people wearing stupid $180 “Nike shoes” to stealing from, calling the Iranian terrorist? and the still dare to theorizing like "My theory on this is that Iran wants to unify Muslims against the West. Iran wants a conflict to occur and is poking the USA with a stick."??

Sit back a bit and think about it… who do you fooling..?... really!

edit on 28-12-2011 by amkia because: (no reason given)

Really!! Do you really want to go there???? You want to talk ethics of a nation? The same nation that has executed children for "suspected" crimes (Abbas Hosseini as just one of many examples)? The same country that executes a women for "suspected" adultery (either stoned to death of hung)?

Again, do you really want to go there? Not saying this nation is perfect. It's far from perfect but comparing the crime here versus what happens in that backwards country is asinine at best!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Sir..

Let me remind you the fact that what is you pointing at (is indeed an internal matter) and should be solved by the Iranian themselves, they don’t need any foreign country’s judgments and actions against their (rules/laws).

Antagonising a sovereign country because they want to stick with their version of freedom is futile and will have dire consequences for generations to come. You and I both know that the western version of “liberty and freedom” won’t work on those ancient cultures.

Please do respect the other people “way of life”.

We live in 21st century and we do believe in power of compromising and negotiations. War and killing creates only hate that may last forever.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by amkia
reply to post by Bearack

Sir..

Let me remind you the fact that what is you pointing at (is indeed an internal matter) and should be solved by the Iranian themselves, they don’t need any foreign country’s judgments and actions against their (rules/laws).

Antagonising a sovereign country because they want to stick with their version of freedom is futile and will have dire consequences for generations to come. You and I both know that the western version of “liberty and freedom” won’t work on those ancient cultures.

Please do respect the other people “way of life”.

We live in 21st century and we do believe in power of compromising and negotiations. War and killing creates only hate that may last forever.

Iran's human rights issues are for that country to deal with and sanctions against that nation have nothing to do with how a$$ backwards their justice system and human rights are.

And respecting other peoples "way of life" is fine and dandy, but when do you say enough? Should a country be allowed to slaughter its own people? Should nothing be said to a country who allows for rape of children? Should women, in this day and age, still be considered sub-human in some cultures?

Yes, some cultures are thousands of years old, but as a society, you must grow and societies should be on par with human rights that common across most of the modern world!

I think we are getting off topic, however.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The US fifth fleet is so incompetent that a Made in china sub was able to sneak up on it (US carrier, not necessarily fift fleet) during wargames and russian fighters were able to buzz a carrier. Embarrassing when the top gun pilots took photos of the carrier and emailed it to the ships captain...FACE PALM..

top topics

join