It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NWO and the book ''Hunger Games''

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I believe the book authored by Suzanne Collins ''The Hunger Games'' is very much based on a totalitarianism perspective which if a NWO was established could be very similar.

Basically for those that haven't read the book, I'll tell you what it's about to focus on this subject. What you need to know is there is a country called Panem which is a futuristic America. The country is broken in to 12 districts which is pretty much a ranking system. 1 being the best district and 12 being the worst - Living standard and resource wise. The districts are fenced off from one another and from the outside world, to keep the citizens ''safe'' as the Panem Government (Dictators) say there is something they are keeping them safe from. What I find interesting is that there was once a district 13, which had to be destroyed due to rebellion.

The country also has a capital which has all the government workers (dictators) which receive what the workers in the districts worked for as each district has to obtain a certain resource or work in a certain industry.. So basically, the people in districts are slaves and work for the people in the capital for basically little return as they are black mailed in to doing so. If you have read the book you will know what I mean and if you don't already know there is a movie coming out in around mid 2012. If you haven't read the book then I encourage you to as it is a very well thought out book and is a great read.

Comment your thoughts or views on whether you think there is some perspective of NWO in the book.
edit on 28-12-2011 by curiousrb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
It reminds me of the book "The Running Man" written by Stephen King.

There is a New World Order idea embedded in us all.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

I guess it really depends on whether we believe a NWO is beneficial or not.. And that will give us our perspective on things.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

The story does seem to have a similar feel to others I have seen in movies. Dystopian views of a future world. Well, some of it feels quite current.
Slaves? Who us?

I think many here subscribe to the idea of the NWO/Illuminati types existing and I for one do not think their intentions are honourable. I don't get the chance to read books anymore as they are just too expensive here. Foreign language books cost a little more than the Dutch ones usually so I just read sites like this. Reading a book on the PC is not my favourite thing. I did re-read 1984 recently but it's tiring on the eyes.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yes I don't enjoy reading a lot from the computer screen. But now that you mention it, I've realized that we are seeing more and more tyrannic based movies and books.. Maybe influential in a way? Who knows?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Regardless of the NWO theme. I'm recommending it because it's a good read. It's also about to be the next Twillight. All my kids talk about is Katnis and Prim. (sisters in the book)

There is three out in the series
The Hinger Games
Catching Fire
Mocking-Jay

I'm about halfway through the last.

What the original poster left out is the twelve districts as punishment for a failed rebellion 75 years prior each need to choose one boy. One girl to send to the capital each year. These 24 kids are then put into an wilderness arena with no food and the battle to the last standing is televised for the world to see. To be reminded of how much power the capital wields. How they can take any child they want.

It's a big weeklong party event at the capital with sponsors and betting and viewing parties.

Lots of action. Lots of social commentary. Lots of heartstrings being pulled. Not just the tween book it's marketed as.

As mentioned above get a jump on it Bc by this summer it's all your gonna hear about.

The Hunger Games

Dennis Fandrick

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PISMO

It would be interesting if Koushun Takami didn't do the exact same thing in 1999 with Battle Royale. From what I can tell the Hunger Games series is simply an attempt to cash in on a story that has proven popular by Westernizing it.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

....and Battle Royale was clearly derived from The Running Man (except with felons) and The Long Walk (a cash prize and with volunteers.)

You can't pick and choose what is derivative and what isn't.

That said, there are a number of differences that make Hunger Games different from Battle Royale, though they clearly belong to the same sub-genre.

1. The series goes into much deeper detail about the nature of government and control of the populace. There is nothing groundbreaking here, since she just ripped most of it from Roman history, but Battle Royale doesn't touch on this at all, other than to say that the government is ruthless.

2. The series does much more to blur the lines between good and evil. A central theme in the series is that good and evil are often indistinguishable, as evidenced by the leader of the resistance and by what Katniss is forced to become in order to survive. This aspect of morality is not developed at all in Battle Royale, other than to deal with the occasional feeling of remorse.

3. Age warfare is not a concept at all explored in Hunger Games, yet it is central to Battle Royale.

4. In Battle Royale, the battle is not for entertainment. There is no social commentary regarding pop culture and the desensitization towards violence that is present in Hunger Games.

Battle Royale is a good read, for sure. However, it's not as developed intellectually as Hunger Games, and trust me, I never thought I'd say that about a Scholastic Co. commissioned book.

If you want to be blatantly cynical about Hunger Games without facing an intellectual challenge, just say she ripped off The Lord of the Flies and set it in a future dystopia which she ripped off from The Roman Empire. To say she ripped of Battle Royale, aside from the plot similarities present in the entire sub-genre, means you probably weren't paying enough attention to either book.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I just finished the three books... it is a very easy read, i really recommend it to anyone.

the people who were "good" were still overcome by their hatred toward the capitol, and would play by their rulebook, meaning taking any action to hurt them like they hurt their people the past 75 years. to sacrifice a child, any child no matter who the parent is, for the "good of the cause" is the greatest evil.. Preserve the innocent.

when actions are driven by vengence and anger.. things will never change.. katniss finally realizes this.

So, the ends do NOT justify the means.

but I find it funny they are going "back to a democracy".. slowly creeping back to corruption, and when people forget the past war will break out again.. a neverending cycle.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Like I said. Now that I think about it many books seem to have a NWO perspective or a tyrannic perspective in the plot.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The Hunger Games is a fantastic series, I most definitely would suggest it to anyone looking for a good series of novels to read. I read the books long before they announced the film and I am very pleased to say, it looks like they didn't f**k up a good book in the movie representation the way they did with Cirque Du Freak, which is an amazing book series that could have been fantastic in theatres but they went about the film the entirely wrong way. There are an awful lot of Dystopian novels being published as of late, it is a genre fast gaining popularity along with Steampunk fiction, one of my favourites. There are some really good ones out there, and it's a genre worth exploring. The goverment described in the books is a bit NWO-esque, although of course all the advances made in technology and fashion are most likely a long ways off. I do see what you mean, though, OP. It's got that Totalitarian feel to it. The key part of the series is, of course, the Hunger Games that two children from every district are forced to participate in, a girl and a boy. The entire process leading up to the initiation of the games is a grand affair, the contestants ride to the capital, their procession into the center in all their costumes, the banquets, all up until the enter the arena for the first time, and the fight for their lives begins. When that begins, that's when s**t get serious, but even then it doesn't really set in until the first murder is commited. That's when it starts to get raw.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Yes and I agree with you totally. I didn't choose to mention the actual Games because I couldn't see it relating as much to the theory I'm trying to get out. But I guess if you look at it in the sense that the government on Panem is blatantly using people for the sake of their own pleasure and enjoyment you can see the relation.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I am about 1/3 of the way through Catching Fire. Second in the series.
My teenage daughter and I are reading the series together, and we are totally caught up in it. It's a great read and the characters are interesting.
I can't agree with the comparison between Hunger Games and Twilight, though. Not unless they sex it up.

I think the reason we are seeing so many movies with distopic futures with NWO type rulers is that somewhere in the collective subconcious, we can see that this is where things are headed. It just seems like a natural progression from where we are now and what we see coming. IMO

Anyway, I thought you might like to see the trailer for the movie which comes out March 23rd.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

I am on the second book. I never really watched the running man movie, other than small scenes here and there, but that was my first thought on this story.

The first book sets the futuristic storyline, but the second book seems to really ring so many bells for me of what may be a future in America. The whole military (peacekeepers) situation reminds me of what we talk about here regarding our own military being used in an uprising or civil war.

The constant lies told through the media in the story, and the glamorizing of cruelty remind me of what we see every day on television, but when you read about it in this story, it sets off bells of "that is so similar to what I just saw on television, just a different angle!"

These books are considered young adult, but I enjoyed the first and am into the second. I hightly suggest you read them, if for nothing else that a really good read.

My teen son couldn't put it down either. I actually think these books would make good high school english whole class assignments. There is a lot to dissect in them and meaning to be learned from them.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

The whole military (peacekeepers) situation reminds me of what we talk about here regarding our own military being used in an uprising or civil war.

The constant lies told through the media in the story, and the glamorizing of cruelty remind me of what we see every day on television, but when you read about it in this story, it sets off bells of "that is so similar to what I just saw on television, just a different angle!"

It's sad that some people CAN see the writing on the wall but others can''t even see the wall until they crash right smack into it.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Due to the fact the movie comes out here locally this coming Friday and all the ad's for same. I just finished reading this series. My niece tells me it is required reading in school. So the tween crowd should be represented this friday at the movies.

I am wondering that it seems not one person has brought up the fact that:

if the districts would co-ordinate against the Capital, and not kill eachother in the games, there would be no sport.
Just like in the first book when Katniss would not kill Peeta and visa versa. No winner, no sport.

Maybe this is the way to negate the NWO, for all of us to stick together instead of fighting eachother.

Ugh, that sounds so ... sappy.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I read all three books over a weekend last month after a friend suggested them. Entertaining and avery quick read. If anything the books highlight the evil of a totalitarian regime. Not exactly high brow reading but agood story. I was wondering when someone would bring this up on ATS.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

if the districts would co-ordinate against the Capital, and not kill eachother in the games, there would be no sport. Just like in the first book when Katniss would not kill Peeta and visa versa. No winner, no sport.

I'm pretty sure that in book 2, Katniss considers trying that and then recalls that the game makers would find a way to make them kill one another or just randomly start killing the contestants.

join