It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens keep dying while getting wisdom teeth extractions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
From what I have learned through a few dentists is Wisdom teeth can get cavities easier and gingivitis. Also if they're impacted it gets painful,
I may get some flack here for this but my son is 12 , I fully intend on having his "wisdom tooth buds" removed long before they can form into full adult wisdom teeth. It's mildly uncomfortable , quick and recovery time is also quick. Definitely a far cry better than the possibility of death or something else going wrong.

I only grew 2 of the 4 wisdom teeth , no crowding but it is harder to reach back there with floss.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by britelite1971
reply to post by dankety

I really don't know alot about this because I didn't have to have mine removed. I've heard from others though that you don't need to have them removed unless they are causing alot of pain because there isn't enough room to come in, or if they get infected. Your post made me wonder if dentists are removing them even when they don't have to be removed. If so, I'm sure it is for the sole purpose of profit.

Mine never came through at all.
When I got a full dental plan though, the dentist told me they had to come out because they were impacted, so they went in and got them. I was never told there were any risks. I wonder if the risk is less when you're older? I was in my 30s.
I don't think they needed to come out, I didn't have any pain, there was room in my mouth for them, if they had ever come through the gums. They weren't infected either.
I think my dentist just looked at my dental plan as an easy way to get paid.

It definitely sounds that way. It seems like if they were gonna be a problem, that they would've been hurting you. It completely sucks that we are kind of at the mercy of our dentists and doctors. Sometimes they are right on, but other times it seems like they either don't know what they are talking about or are just trying to raise their profits by recommending procedures that we don't even need.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
I had no problems with my wisdom teeth UNTIL I had a dentist talk me into having them removed at the age of 35.

I was 16 when I realized I had new teeth in my mouth, no pain, no nothing, just the realization when brushing one day that they were coming in earlier than most. *laughs I guess that means I was very wise at a young age

My jaw has not stopped hurting for one single moment since I had them removed. I have been told it's "phantom" pain and to learn to live with it.... phantom my ass. I believe he did some real damage to the nerves in my jaw as no amount of pain medication or any type of pain medication has done any good what so ever.

I really wish I had gone with my instincts and left them alone.

The dentists are now trying to talk my teen daughter into getting hers removed. I certainly am not moving very fast on this one let me tell ya. I may just leave it be unless they give her problems when they do come in.

Harm None
Peace

you should make some pot brownies, best pain meds on the planet. and you cant get addicted to them or die from an overdose. theyre also tasty

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Ive had all my wisdom teeth removed (not at the same time) and the pain was bad for a day or two but I've always felt that unless you are in so much pain that Advil or Tylenol cannot handle, you shouldn't be taking such strong painkillers in the first place. Even after I had two C-Sections when my kids where born, I flatly refused to take any painkillers after the surgery anesthesia wore off. Hurt like hell, but nothing I couldn't tolerate.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Why on earth would you have your wisdom teeth removed? Is that an American thing?

More to the point, how the heck do people die from it? Bit of local anaesthetic and bobs your uncle.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This sort of hits close to home for me. I've had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted as they were all impacted and caused pain. Never signed any papers. The work was done about 15 years ago.

However 4 years ago I was having an improperly executed root canal job redone. The dentist used Novocaine. 4 shots as I had an abscess under that tooth and the pain was extreme.

Suddenly I felt very weak. Had a heart attack. Seems the last shot went into a vessel and directly to the heart.

Up to that time, and even now I've excellent cholesterol readings. The shot was the culprit. Seems this is more common than dentists admit.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's not needed. It's not done in the greater part of the world.

Find somebody who was in the military awhile ago. If they were in over 4 years, they got their wisdom teeth taken out by the military. Feel the top left of their ear. Feel that lump?

Whatcha think it is?

R-F-I-......

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

It sounds like the dentist ruptured your mastoid sinus with the peri probe. That happened to me when I got a wisdom tooth removed. I developed an infection that almost killed me. It can happen....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

I had to sit in a room and watch a movie that explains the procedure and the risks.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
wisdom teeth only need to be removed if they are causing problems (like the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it )
i had mine removed about 15 years ago only because one became impacted then a rather nasty infection followed which hurt like hell,i wasnt up for that kinda pain again so i had em all done in the chair...luckilly it all went smoothly,with no complications...one thing i do remember is the injections took longer than the actual teeth extraction

risk of death is unlikely..... athough depending on your pain threshhold u might actually want to die a few days after the extraction

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Had all my wisdoms pulled in one session 10 years ago. They gassed me with some nitrous

My wife just had hers pulled two days ago and it was a smooth operation. They gave us Tylenol3 but it didnʻt help her with the pain so they gave us vikes

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I had mine pulled a few years back. Operation was smooth and I only took one pain pill. But the next tooth was much worse due to dry socket. Anyway while in pain the days before surgery I came across a man named Weston a Price. You should really read up on his work.

Also remember vitamin c helps keep gums healthy. This why I think my wisdom teeth operation was better handled by my body in comparison to the single a few years later.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dankety

Your wisdom teeth produce white blood cells. There is no reason to get them removed because of inflammation. That would be like saying that your toe hurts, so therefore you want it amputated.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
When I was about 25 years old my dentist whom I hated but was stuck with at the time....(my old dentist retired and sold his practice). This new kid really told me that I was in dire straights as in my wisdom teeth were going to be the death of me.

I was scared to go through with it but he kept pushing and pushing me to get it done.
So I make the appointment to get this done and ask for local not general for a knock out.

This supposed surgeon tells me no, you must get knocked out or I won't do it.

I say ok then have it your way, long story short he never even shows up the day of my surgery after I was prepped for it.

That was 25 years ago and my teeth are fine and I have never had problems with my wisdom teeth.

I truly believe that the reason they wanted to do it was because of my wifes excellent dental plan at work and I am included in that.

Good thread and S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
Well, damn. i have a dentist apointment for tomorrow because my gum is growing over one of my wisdom teeth. guess i wont be getting the tooth removed and ill just have the gum cut lol

Good luck with that if we do not here from you we know what has happened.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Why on earth would you have your wisdom teeth removed? Is that an American thing?

More to the point, how the heck do people die from it? Bit of local anaesthetic and bobs your uncle.

I think it is an American thing. They take them out early incase of potential impaction when older. They are easier to pull (allegedly) when you're about 14-16 as they haven't fully formed yet and have little to no roots. It's said that because of modern dentistry, we lose less teeth so the wisdom teeth have no room to push out of the gum, causing impaction. But that is not always the case and most of these surgeries are very likely unnecessary.

In Blighty we only get ours pulled if they need to come out, and most of the time they don't.

I'm 32, and still have all mine. One at the top came through because i had a back tooth extracted and it eventually pushed the teeth back together and i now have no gap. The other top one has never come through and the two bottom ones are partially erupted. Along as i keep them clean i have no issues.

edit on 12-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
After reading this thread I have one question...

Do we really not need to have our wisdom teeth pulled?

I had mine pulled, but it was because one of them had compacted into the tooth next to it, so they just removed them all.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TRILL

There is no need to, I never got mine extracted and I'm perfectly fine, some times it can be painful (not major) but look at them as spare parts, if you lose a teeth they serve as backup one thing to remember is to have a good diet as to have good teeth (calcium is extremely important), when I was young I was given hole milk soon after it was milked from a cow, I never broke a bone in my life I'm 35+ I had a very active infancy, more freedom than kids have today that also helps to have a good strong skeleton and muscles.

The wisdom teeth issue is like the appendix or the tonsils and the penis foreskin, consider that if evolution (or god if you are religious) had no use for them why would they exist, all have a purpose, a function, I have them all, never been hospitalized and the only major issue I have is the common cold at times, more or less in every 2 years I spend 1-2 weeks in bed.

Eat healthy and do a minimum of exercise and sun light (at the right times of the day), do not indulge in processed food or sweets and you will be fine the rule of thumb is to have variety of food and environment.

Avoid antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs as much as you can without putting you life in risk.
edit on 12-2-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
One of the biggest scams ever. I remember back when I was 15 years old and my dentist at the time tried to talk me into getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I remembered how miserable my older sister was after the procedure and was not to excited to have it done myself. I argued with my mother for weeks and claimed victory in the end. The dentist had her brainwashed with his fear based drivel. Apparently they were going to come in and cause me all sorts of pain.

Every visit to the dentist from then on was another lecture about how I must get it done or else. Even at that young of an age, I began to feel as though it was a profit driven scam. I am now 40 years old and never have had one issue with my wisdom teeth. Still to this day I joke around with my mom about how I better get them pulled before it's too late.

Yeah sure in certain cases it needs to be done, but I believe it's rarely needed. It's more about raping the insurance companies and giving referrals than anything life threatening in my opinion. To each their own I guess. Never had a cavity in my life either. ~$heopleNation
edit on 23-5-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

top topics

<< 1   >>

join