It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Leader Declares House Churches a 'Threat' for Youth, Sparking Fear of Persecution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
"Today, improper Hijab and anarchy are political tools to oppose the Islamic regime and in just the same way, the imperialists are working with political anger and prejudice to break the relation between Iran and Vatican," the ambassador reportedly said at the time, during a conference called "Islamic awakening and the world of Christianity" in Vatican City.

So according to the source being a christian in a country with a predominant religious order is illegal, a movement has already been put in place to oppose these meetings.

Source

Heydar Moslehi, Minister of Intelligence in Iran, has declared that house churches are a threat to youth, Mohaba News, an Iranian Christian News Agency, reported Monday. Moslehi's statement raises anxiety over new persecution among the Christian community.

Moslehi reportedly acknowledged that a new series of efforts will be made to fight the growth of the house church movement in Iran, the agency reports.The government is also reportedly shifting toward a policy of preventing young people from becoming Christians.

edit on 25-12-2011 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I think you'll find that Heydar Moslehi is not the 'Iranian Leader'

*ahem*

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MahmoudAhmadinejad
I think you'll find that Heydar Moslehi is not the 'Iranian Leader'

*ahem*

No but he is the seventh head of the Ministry of Intelligence in Iran, as the article states.

Source

Hojjatol-Islam Heydar Moslehi (born 29 September 1956, Isfahan) is the head of the Ministry of Intelligence in Iran. He was originally appointed on 5 August 2009. He resigned from his position on 17 April 2011 after being asked to resign by Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. He was reinstated in his position by the Supreme leader of Iran, Ayatollah Khamenei. Ahmadinejad decided to not hold cabinet meetings, in protest of Moslehi's presence.[1] As of April 2011, cabinet meetings are being held without Ahmadinejad, with the vice president of Iran, Mohammad Reza Rahimi, chairing the meetings.[2] On 27 April, the majles endorsed Moslehi in his position as Minister of Intelligence. The New York Times reported on speculation that Moslehi's resignation was prompted by a dispute with Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaei, after Moslehi tried to dismiss an intelligence official.[3]

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Considering the latest scandal regarding pedophile priests abusing tens of thousands of children in the Netherlands, he probably has a fair point about them being a danger to children.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

That's a good one...
but I don't think that's what he's alluding too.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

You seem quite concerned about the thoughts of a low level official in another country.

I choose to worry about bigger issues.

Few years ago, the "actual" leader of a powerful country said " Your either with us , or against us."

Think about those words, how your option of choice is within them.

Now that,s scary.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm often confused, but the reactions to this thread have confused me beyond my normal levels of bafflement. The OP mentioned two points that I thought were interesting. One, the Vatican-Iran ties. And two, the official pronouncement of governmental, Christian persecution.

Either of these topics could be profitably discussed, but instead the comments include ideas like "He's not the Iranian leader, he's a low level official." No one said he was the Iranian leader, but since when is the head of the CIA, or the KGB (or whatever it's called now) or the head of Iranian intelligence a low level official? He attends the Cabinet meetings, for crying out loud.

Other thoughts include "It's ok to persecute Christians, after all members of one denomination abused kids in the Netherlands." And "Well, Bush was scary, so it's all right for Iranians to engage in religious persecution."

I think I'd enjoy a discussion on the topics raised by the OP. Anyone else want to?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Your sources are just lying :

Article 12 [Official Religion]
The official religion of Iran is Islam and the Twelver Ja'fari school, and this principle will remain eternally immutable. Other Islamic schools are to be accorded full respect, and their followers are free to act in accordance with their own jurisprudence in performing their religious rites. These schools enjoy official status in matters pertaining to religious education, affairs of personal status (marriage, divorce, inheritance, and wills) and related litigation in courts of law. In regions of the country where Muslims following any one of these schools constitute the majority, local regulations, within the bounds of the jurisdiction of local councils, are to be in accordance with the respective school, without infringing upon the rights of the followers of other schools.

Article 13 [Recognized Religious Minorities]
Zoroastrian, Jewish, and Christian Iranians are the only recognized religious minorities, who, within the limits of the law, are free to perform their religious rites and ceremonies, and to act according to their own canon in matters of personal affairs and religious education.

Source

It is easy to broadcast lies to the people on the opposite end of the world , isn't it ?

ETA : You think that Iranian governors are too retarded that can not understand what to say in an official cabinet meeting ?

Do they like to make a war between religions in Iran to make Iran unstable ?

What do you think about them ?
edit on 26/12/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
Considering the latest scandal regarding pedophile priests abusing tens of thousands of children in the Netherlands, he probably has a fair point about them being a danger to children.

Right, like that stuff doesnt happen in Islam
Theyre just better at hiding it because they will be murdered. Btw this is the religious institution that tells women they deserve to get raped if theyre not wearing a head scarf and that it is their fault the men cannot restrain their sexual urges

I am not advocate for the Roman Catholic Church but i think Jesus Christ said it best when he said "Judge not, lest you be judged, for the measure you judge others with shall be the measure that judges you" (paraphrased). In other words, don't go point at other peoples sin when you do the same sh*t.

Besides the R.C.C. is really Islam in disguise, complete with homosexuals that likes little boys bootie holes...
edit on 26-12-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
In reference to the news source ... the Gospel Herald ... It has a good reputation for distributing the truth about Christians who are persecuted and it enjoys FREEDOM OF THE PRESS to be able to expose persecutions. However, Iran doesn't have freedom of the press and it LIES to cover it's tracks. Therefore the Gospel Herald is a much more believeable source of information than the Iranian Government .. and those who work for the Iranian government. Speaking of which ....

Originally posted by hmdphantom
It is easy to broadcast lies to the people on the opposite end of the world , isn't it ?

You should know.

AGAIN - you are in Iran and you have admitted there is no freedom of information, no freedom of the press, no freedom of the internet. And yet you continually have access to the internet and are continually posting anti-Israel, anti-America, Pro-Iranian propaganda. How do YOU get such internet access in Iran? Are you a government agent??

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

Dear hmdphantom,

Nice seeing you again, I find that I've always learned something after a conversation with you. May I ask you to consider some of the things I've run across, thanks to your influence?

The constitutional protection you quoted could be a little stronger. Doesn't it say something like "You have the constitutional right to do this if it's within the bounds of Islamic law?" Looks like the law overrides the constitution. Further, I note that only three religions are official minorities. Word on the street says the Baha'is are getting the stuffing kicked out of them. The Armenian Christians don't seem to be doing so well, either.

Concerning the house churches, there was an article in The Guardian about this time last year: Iran and House Churches It discusses raids on Christians and puts some of the blame for them, if not all on the Ayatollah:

Kamvar attributes the stepped up raids against Christians to comments last month by Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei denouncing the growth of private house churches.
"This, in my opinion, was a green light to the other authorities to crack down on them," Kamvar said from Canada, where he now lives.
I think it's things like that that make Westerners believe that Iran is not serious about religious freedom and equality. But, as you say, we may be mis-informed.

I also ran across four places in Iranian law where non-Muslims were officially treated more harshly than Muslims, including inheritance, marriage, and punishment. But perhaps that's off-topic?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

hi charles1952.

The freedom of religion in Iran is defined within the boundaries of Islamic society accepted by majority of people here.

About diss or mis-information , I think there are many attempts by western media and governments. The truth is that info-war is always flowing every where. One can not be able to spread the truth and stop this madness. Finding the truth and agendas is very hard these days.

I think it could be helpful. Sorry it is midnight and I should sleep.

source

This would take long time to explain.

I hope I can do it briefly later for you.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

Dear hmdphantom,

I am always heartened by your responses. If I had money I would come to you and spend days talking and learning.

The freedom of religion in Iran is defined within the boundaries of Islamic society accepted by majority of people here.
This would be a large difference between Islam and the US. As you may have seen on ATS, we take our Constitutionally guaranteed rights very seriously. The idea of putting bounds on those rights because of the dictates of a religion is quite foreign to us. Nor would we be willing to accept a change based just on a majority of people here. We hold the right to criticize Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or our leader's parentage as central.

I really like your source, I've read a couple of articles and will read more.

I hope you have a blessed sleep.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You are talking to me very politely. I really appreciate that. I wish I could be as polite as you are. And I wish I could talk to you , face to face , too.

You are so kind.

I hope you get money to do whatever good you want.

I think internet is a good way to learn about each other.

I have learned a lot about American people.

Keep in mind that I am just one Iranian and I have one idea in about all 70 millions of people here.

With respect
hmdphantom
edit on 27/12/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

AGAIN - you are in Iran and you have admitted there is no freedom of information, no freedom of the press, no freedom of the internet. And yet you continually have access to the internet and are continually posting anti-Israel, anti-America, Pro-Iranian propaganda. How do YOU get such internet access in Iran? Are you a government agent??

I always send my replies for you , but you always like to repeat your job and questions on different threads . I think you don't want any answer . You just like to insist on what you think.

Remember you are one of representatives of American people here. And IMO you are not a good one.

new topics

top topics

join