It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonte here, speaking some sense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Hey, I've been visiting this site for a long time researching many different conspiracy theories and all I seem to see on alot of them is arguments between 'atheists' and believer's. Can we all not just learn to get along and research things properly and take into account the views of others to come to conclusions about different theories?

I'm a catholic myself, that doesn't mean I don't accept there is alien life out there and ridicule people who claim there is. I look at both sides of each argument and very much believe that alien life is possible and in fact probable. Just because people believe in extraterrestial life isn't a cue for religious types to start hurling insults doesn't the whole idea of God make him an alien anyway?

In conclusion to my introduction i look forward to finally posting on this site and creating in depth threads on a range of different topics rather than just researching others. Also maybe if everyone just worked together and got along we could come up with some answers to different theories? Who knows maybe God is an all powerful being who created the Earth, maybe he doesn't even exist or maybe he was part a race of aliens that landed here?
edit on 23-12-2011 by Demonte because: no reason

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
you'll find all kinds here.
the mods have been 'on us' for derogatory comments, this is a site for debate and discussion not slamming, trolling, and being rude.
the human race will never think alike. and I don't want to be like everybody else anyway.
you can learn alot here, lots of information and smart people.
looking forward to what you have to add, welcome.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the welcome and nice post. I don't mean for everyone to think alike thats what makes our race great we all think uniquely and have our own opinions and theories. I meant that just dismissing someone's theory because you do or don't believe in God isn't going to help anyone especially when the theory is well researched. Although most of the debates on here are well thought out and interesting there are quite a few that resolve to name calling and dismissing peoples theories without providing counter arguments. This is what I was speaking against, rather than just ignoring or attacking someone because they believe something different to you why not give a researched counter argument as to why you don't believe them.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hi and welcome to ATS Demonte.

I'm also a new member but have been using ATS since its inception it seems. I just wanted to say I know exactly what you mean and I’m sure there are plenty of others that feel the same way.

Many of us have moved past most of the common road blocks for civil discussion. I also decided to sign up and see if I can intervene with my own flavor of logic and common sense.

But tbh the more I watch the craziness of forums such as ATS, I am coming to the belief that most of the issues we are having using this medium has more to do with the whole idea behind a forum and the only medium being that of text.

My personal opinion is if we were all sitting in a circle face to face having a debate or discussion. Albeit the trolls, the haters, the intelligent, the under privileged, and the privileged. We would all have to show some civility and respect.

The inability to correctly see facial actions especially the subtle ones, leads readers on a guessing game over intent and many other aspects. Just as studies show people lie a lot more when they send text messages heh

We are made to pick up and read subtle facial expressions and body movements, voice changes. It’s as if we have been blind folded and put in a room in the pitch black and then told to name all the other people in the room. And what they look like. So in the end most people I truly believe in most cases without realizing it end up relying on natural instinct type reactions to motivate their response.

Aesop

Did I say welcome to ATS?

edit on 23-12-2011 by Aesop because: tweaked

edit on 23-12-2011 by Aesop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Great post Aesop and I understand exactly what you mean in an online forum all elements of non verbal communication are removed ( i.e body language and eye contact) which can mean just as much as spoken/written word sometimes. Also sometimes it can be hard to understand the context in which something is written when just having text to go on. I completely agree, on the circle business if we were all sat together you'd have 90% less insults at least and it can be alot easier to get your point across when your speaking to someone face to face. Thanks for the welcome

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Demonte

Welcome to ATS

Enjoy your time here, and if you run into a wall, have a question, or whatever, please feel free to drop me a line.

Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

//

top topics

join