It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal Media Renews Its Attack on President Bush

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ben Barnes tell his tale of woe about how he helped a young George Bush intot he Texas Guard to avoid the Vietnam War. The liberal media is launching this latest attack in an attempt to help the Kerry campaign. Remember that Dan Rather has a liberal ax to grind with the Bush family after a spat with Bush Sr. on TV.

That being said, the president record is fair game like Kerry's. Funny how the liberals that were decring the Swift Boat adds are strangely silent. Hmmmm it a double standard, but not surprising. Before I get the 'at least Kerry has a war record posts" remember that Bush did not make his a cornerstone in his campaign.

RANT.......... Bring it on

CBS) Former Texas House Speaker and Lt. Governor Ben Barnes tells Correspondent Dan Rather that he regrets what he calls the "life or death" decision he made to help President Bush get into the Texas Air National Guard.

Rather's report, which will include new information about Bush's military service, will be broadcast on 60 Minutes, tonight at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following are quotes from Rather's interview with Barnes:

Barnes on his decision to help George W. Bush and others get into the National Guard:
"I've thought about it an awful lot and you walk through the Vietnam memorial, particularly at night like I did a few months ago and, I tell you, you'll think about it a long time. ...I don't think that I had any right to have the power that I had to choose who was going to Vietnam and who was not going to Vietnam. That's power. In some instances, when I looked at those names, I was maybe determining life or death and that's not a power that I want to have. ..."

www.cbsnews.com...

[edit on 8-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
"Liberal Media Renews Its Attack on President Bush"

To be fair, it's not just the 'liberal media' reporting this story. There's been headlines all over Drudge for a couple days now.

The major networks and newspapers, while probably pleased to have a '527 story' to counter the Swifties, would be perceived as 'conservative' if they didn't cover it.

Now, I'm not saying that I support the continued emphasis on The Past. I'm just sad that the campaign has become a joke. No real issues are ever discussed at any intelligent level - exception: ATS!!
I can already hear the next exchange between these bozos:

Bush - "My opponent should condemn these personal attacks as he asked me to condemn the ones against him."

Kerry - "The President failed to show leadership by not condemning the personal attacks on me, and now he's paying the price for it."

Bush - "I challenge the Senator to introduce campaign finance reform legislation against 527s this September when Congress is in session so that we can further limit Free Speech."

Kerry - "I served in Viet Nam and you didn't."

When will it end?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
RANT.......... Bring it on

I never would have even known to watch it if not for you. It's on CBS now. Big interview.

Get the word out for us.

Bush must be exposed.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well after the dirty attacks on Kerry I knew something was going to happen, Justice served.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Talk about double standards. "Kerry Lied! He should be killed! He served in Vietnam sure, and won 3 PH(Yes won, he never gave them to himself, his superior officer did that) but he lied about this! Oh, you attacking Bush for not serving in Vietnam? Hypocrit!"

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Just saw a report on CNN about the dubious service of GWB, essentially AWOL.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well after the dirty attacks on Kerry I knew something was going to happen, Justice served.

Well Lt Gov Barnes didn't seem angry at all to me, or particularly obessesed with W in particular as opposed to his merely expressing sincere remorse for his personal role in granting champagne duty to the son's of alot of rich kids. Quite a stark contrast to the Swifties that singulary went after JFK with a vengence though they were debunked with the facts at every turn.

We'll just have to wait and see how the right responds. They could let it go, admitting Bush got preferential treatment or make a big stink out of it attacking the character of this guy. It'll be interesting either way.

As for the whole 527 thing FredT, again... nobody has a problem with public groups telling the truth (except Bush obviously). Kerry just asked Bush to condemn Swifties for lying. Seems plausible since Bush has nothing but praise for Kerry's military record (though President Cheney obviously missed the memo).

[edit on 8-9-2004 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
No worse than the Conservative media (Fox) ignoring the story altogether.

Too bad Bush lied about his record of service, he may not be in this position right now.

Sour grapes I say, the Swift Boaters didn't get attacked for spreading their lies and they even had Bush staffers advising them. So who's really doing the attacking.

I want all information, the fact that it took a lawsuit to get this information just proves he had something to hide. Even former Bush spokesman Dan Bartlett had to retract what he had said about his service in '99.

So keep defending your lying I-was-drunk-till-30 President by blaming it all on the media. It just makes his supporters look petty.

He's a draft dodger plain and simple, and couldn't even finish cushy post he was given to avoid the draft in the first place. This is a non issue now, he is a liar but take heart, it probably won't affect him. All he has to do is keep screaming...

TERROR TERROR TERROR!!!! BE AFRAID!!! ONLY I CAN PROTECT YOU!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Let's see if you Rethuglicans can take it, as much as you dish it.

In the words of Bush: "It's just politics."

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If you missed the CBS interview, here's the direct link to the story.

www.cbsnews.com...

It goes on and on about the full records finally surfacing, White House positions being contradicted, a letter where Bush promised to join the Massachusetts NG if he could be let out of duty (and never did) and I love this analysis:

Larry Korb, an assistant Secretary of Defense under President Reagan has reviewed the Mr. Bush's record and believes he did not fulfill his contract.

"Essentially, Bush gamed the system to avoid serving his country the way that most of his contemporaries had to," Korb said.

I don't see anything to dispute there.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
You know this was covered a while back on a view posted here in this post with a link of the real story about bush family and bush missing records but people did not gave it a lot of though, because the scandal on Kerry's medal were the how topic at the moment.

It is funny how the media can switch priorities when the time is best for them.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I never would have even known to watch it if not for you. It's on CBS now. Big interview.

Get the word out for us.

Bush must be exposed.

You should know by know I am an EO type of Republican. As I said in my post it is fair game for the Kerry Campaign. The timing is funny but like I said Rather does have a personal ax to grind. But as i said its a fair game topic.

Still does not change Kerry's actions in Vietnam and all the questions about them. Rant, the nation as a whole would be served by the elimination of all 527's and a strict limit on spending. The candidates themselves have raised over 1/2 billion between just them (not counting soft money 527 etc) for a job that pays what 400K a year? Time for a change!

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Liberal media?
Oh please, give me a break.
A LIBERAL media would have rolled and smoked the pile of corporate corruption that Washington DC is a long time ago. They would have eaten them alive for breakfast.

ONE IOTA OF TRUTH COMES OUT ABOUT GEORGE WEASEL BUSH AFTER WEEKS OF ATTACKING KERRY'S ACTUAL SERVICE RECORD, and the best you of limited imaginations can resort to is your old tired cliche rhetoric.

Chalk one up for the Weasel. One more imagination limited flunky falls in line.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Still does not change Kerry's actions in Vietnam and all the questions about them.

By people who have been proven to have either not been near Kerry when the incident occured or were proven liars. They hated him for his testimony, not because of what he did or didn't do. Kerry has plenty of people who served with him and actually witnessed what he did to prove them wrong or misguided.

Kerry has always stated that he served his tour of duty and did what he had to do. He never waved his medals around and he even waited until his entire tenure of service was over before giving his now infamous testimony. And the funny thing is, everything he testified about was eventually proven to be true so I admire his courage to not only admit his own complicity but also shed a light on them.

War time medals are a strange thing. They tend to be given out for a wide range of actions or situations ranging from severe to seemingly mild. I know because I got a Purple Heart in Gulf 1 for receiving a large scratch on my arm while helping to change the tracks on the M1-A1 I was assigned to. I didn't even know about it until I received it. I was pretty shocked and mightily embarrassed to get it but it was explained to me by my CO that it had occured while combat operations were ongoing and I deserved it. I still feel funny about it but there are plenty of former soldiers with stories like that while others got it for what I consider to be genuine sacrifices...like getting shot or losing a limb, etc.

Sorry for the speech, I just wanted to give some perspective on what constitutes situations arise when those medals are awarded.

...the nation as a whole would be served by the elimination of all 527's and a strict limit on spending. The candidates themselves have raised over 1/2 billion between just them (not counting soft money 527 etc) for a job that pays what 400K a year? Time for a change!

I completely agree with the above statement, if we had a real press corp in this country they wouldn't be needed. They still aren't but that seems to be the other side of the coin.

Take care...

[edit on 8-9-2004 by Weller]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Rant, the nation as a whole would be served by the elimination of all 527's and a strict limit on spending. The candidates themselves have raised over 1/2 billion between just them (not counting soft money 527 etc) for a job that pays what 400K a year? Time for a change!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't AARP make 527's? If they don't they could and probably should. Any of us could. I like that. I like public access to media. I'm for personal citizen's organizing and being able to demand a voice...not be denied it because some don't like what they say.

I know you're an EO issue illuminator FredT and I try to be too, which is why I support 527's and the right to talk about things politicians and corporate media won't. I mentioned AARP because I don't think without watchdog's like them sometimes getting out messages in an election we'd never hear about the real issues behind something like pharmaceuticals (which advertise on media and contribute to both candidates). Just an example.

It's one of those issues where I accept (and defend) the bad for the sake of the good. Like free speech and the KKK. I'd like to see more 527's aired by groups like NOW, NAACP, etc. And welcome any opposition it brings. If the Klan wanted to make one, I'd support that too... but it shouldn't stop the "political game" of posturing like Kerry and Bush are attempting now.

In fact, the 527's demand posturing. That's the point as I see it. Make politicians respond. Just think if all of us on ATS ever agreed on something (assume we did on the Nick Berg coverup)... hey we could start a 527 and raise money and make people notice!

Deny Ignorance for Truth sponsored the content of this message...

I don't want my access denied should I ever have something to say. Thus I don't support Bush's call to do so, and hope Kerry never joins him in that.

Sorry if me and T are off track on the ANG thing everybody, but I guess it all relates.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's funny...

Bush isn't running on his military career and yet he has released all of his records.

Kerry is running on his military career and yet he refuses to release his records.

All of you lefty conspiracy types suck up the media's spew as if it were gospel.

They have you right where they want you.

Funny, you think W's such an imbicile.
Don't be surprised when you realize that Bush is playin' rope-a-dope on this one.

[edit on 8-9-2004 by gurnio]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by gurnio
It's funny...

Bush isn't running on his military career and yet he has released all of his records.

Except for the crucial ones that required a lawsuit...right?

Kerry is running on his military career and yet he refuses to release his records.

He did release his records, so did the Pentagon...check the news. He did so to refute the lies that were being spread about him.

Its more like they have you right where they want you...in the dark and continuing to deny the truth.

[edit on 8-9-2004 by Weller]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Don't be surprised when you realize that Bush is playin' rope-a-dope on this one.

For Bush to play "rope-a-dope" he'd have to hang himself.

Whatever. According to you, the liberal media has us right where it wants us. And Bush has us right where he wants us too. I think they call that kind of double speak in Texas...a flip flop. And they should know by now.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
What isn't liberal media? FOX, Drudge, NewsMax, WorldNetDaily, am I missing any? You compared Barnes to the Swift Boat Vets. The Swift Boat Vets have been proved to be, at the best, misleading, at the worst, lying. Where is the proof Barnes is misleading or lying? Was he not the Lt. Governor? Or, do you just refuse to believe it's true?

Funny, you think W's such an imbicile.

Just a quick tip. When questioning someone's intelligence, use "Spell Check".

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The media have YOU right where they want you.

Bush has KERRY right where he wants HIM.

I don't believe he'd waste the time trying to change your mind,...

Homework:

1)How many hours/year did Bush need to put in to satisfy his ANG obligation.

2)How many hours/year did he serve (including the year he was supposedly AWOL)

Deny ignorance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join