It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Income Inequality Higher Than Roman Empire's Levels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
But eh, everything is fine. Trickle down economics and all.

U.S. Income Inequality Higher Than Roman Empire's Levels: Study

Many tout the U.S. as the Roman empire of the modern world. But as it turns out, that comparison may not be all good.

Income inequality in America is at levels even higher than those in ancient Rome, according to a recent study from two historians, Walter Schiedel and Steven Friesen, cited by Per Square Mile. After analyzing papyri ledgers, biblical passages and other previous scholarly estimates, the researchers found that the top one percent of earners in Ancient Rome controlled 16 percent of the society's wealth. By comparison, the top one percent of American earners control 40 percent of the country's wealth, according to Vanity Fair. (h/t ThinkProgress)

The findings add to the growing chorus of studies and criticisms indicating that the wealth gap is hitting truly remarkable levels. The top one percent saw their incomes rise by 275 percent between 1979 and 2007, according to the Congressional Budget Office, while the bottom fifth of earners only saw their incomes grow by 20 percent during that same period.

In addition, the total net worth of the bottom 60 percent of Americans is less than that of the Forbes 400 richest Americans. Perhaps even more shocking, the six heirs to the retail giant Walmart had the same net worth in 2007 as the bottom 30 percent of Americans. And the phenomenon isn't just limited to the U.S. -- income inequality is on the rise in most of the world's major economies, according to the Organisation of Economic Development and Cooperation.

And that isn't enough wealth for the banksters. They want it ALL.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Just a wacky thought to throw out here; does this show a heightened attempt at control and ownership OR is this an indicator of the complacency of the rest of the populace?

Is it greed or is "Dancing With The Stars" just too darned interesting to actually go out and innovate and create?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

jewish banker greed and jewish run hollywood bamboozling the mob.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Good point, I was just going to say, the romans didnt have tv's to keep them sleeping. And they didnt have a structure to keep people in line... jail for the mind.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Complacency?
No, I would definitely say not. Americans work damned hard. They always have. This new myth of a decline in American work ethic is false and almost insulting. There used to be a time in which workers were given more benefits and better pay in relation to the buying power that they once had. People used to not buy so much, spend so much, and worry so much. I would say that a couple of decades ago that people in America were more complacent. In today's America, this is definitely not the case. Individuals want more of the pie, and they fight harder for it. Companies and Businesses give out less benefits and lower wages in relation to buying power so that the individuals on top and the owners can make a huge overhead profit. Everyone wants a piece of the pie nowadays and the sad fact is, many can't have it. It's not from a lack of trying, it's just the way things are due to the "gimmie" culture that we have cultivated from capitalism. All ism's have their flaw, and this is the great flaw of capitalism...the "gimmie" syndrome. Everyone wants a piece of a limited pie, so most people with no real power or control get a smaller piece.

Things will continue on this way unless we change. I do hope that we change.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This whole idea of "Money" was doomed for failure in the first place.
It has been a great learning tool and catylist for human evolution but was never meant to
be a sustainable reality.

The American empire will soon crash just as the Roman one did,
and on and we go until we all figure out that the only way to pull this whole thing off is to live your life for others.
Only then will there be abundance.

Once there is abundance, the gimme gimme game will be up.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Did the romans also treat their veterans and soldiers better then the USa and most other countries do? I still don't understand how a soldier who fights for his country can come home and be homless and in poverty while a person makes billions sending them all to war?

I think back then it was alot different and even though they were not advanced scientifically they had a very strong sense of national pride which was essential for their empire imo. Now we have sort of lost that and surendered to a global economy based of greedy principals and the game is pretty rigged atm so I can see how this is true.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Some of the data in Europe (bond yields) and the US (housing and employment) are indicating improvements to economies and financials. Why all the good news all of a sudden? Makes me wanna cry lol. All this means is MORE of the OP. The rich getting richer and everyone else working harder for less.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
When something starts running out, naturally the less capable are the first to do without.

Money (work)
Energy (oil & electricity)
Law (enforcement and justice)
Food (cost and quality)
Shelter (homes and space)

Don't be the less capable. It's a very vulnerable place to be.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

So I should... go invest in the slot machine that is the stock market?
Open a bank, invest in foreign debt and then steal $1,200,000,000 from my customers?
Print up false documents about investments and get suckers to let me "invest" their money in my lifestyle?
Set people up with loans that I know they cannot afford while paying myself ludicrous bonuses?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
When the State prints money, those who get the new money first get the most benefit.

The State has been printing a whole lot of money lately.

The printing of money is the PRIMARY cause of wealth disparity in America today.

edit on 21-12-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join