It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was there a Second Great Sphinx at Giza?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why isn't anyone making the connection to the "Dog" star=Sirius...the Sirius star constellation as recorded by the ancient Egyptians and the Dogons of Mali. They speak of their ancestors coming from this star system.....a 3 star system.

Wouldn't it be a very real possibility that the sphinx was originally canine in nature,but was altered at some point to hide the true origins of the "beings" that built it in the first place....and maybe the pyramids mirror sirius A,B and C?....just some random thoughts

Nommos, Neteru,Anunnaqi......

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
That's the lines of thought that the Robert Temple book goes along actually, relating the sphinx to the Dogon's tales. He shows plenty more but I didn't finish reading the book ultimately so I don't know how he summarises it well enough to say on here ;-)

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RIAANDRY
Why isn't anyone making the connection to the "Dog" star=Sirius...the Sirius star constellation as recorded by the ancient Egyptians and the Dogons of Mali. They speak of their ancestors coming from this star system.....a 3 star system.

Actually, that turned out to be a hoax. This was something I wasn't aware of until recently -- but the men who reported it just made it up. If you look up material on the Dogon (and eliminate the UFO sites... look at the travel sites and the anthropology sites) you'll find out that they don't have a particular connection to Sirius.

I should have suspected this, since their artifacts and art don't show a triple star system (or three close stars.) If it was that important, there would be a lot of art and story references to it.

Hoax, alas.

Wouldn't it be a very real possibility that the sphinx was originally canine in nature,but was altered at some point to hide the true origins of the "beings" that built it in the first place....and maybe the pyramids mirror sirius A,B and C?....just some random thoughts

No. It always was a human head (at that size, a canine head isn't a stable shape. The nose would fall off very quickly) and the shape of a canine body is different than the shape of a lion body.

Furthermore, canines weren't THAT important. Anubis grew in importance, but was not the chief of the gods and was never the most important in the pantheon.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Howard the Dolphin
Where can I find an example of this "debunking"? I am curious to see the flaws.

The best set of pages was on the Hall of Ma'at, but that's currently down. I'll try to find another set of references... but it really has been debunked (and scathingly so) by a lot of people (including astronomers.)

Originally posted by Howard the Dolphin
This means that the lion-bodied Sphinx, with its due-east orientation, would have gazed directly on that morning at the one constellation in the sky that might reasonably be regarded as its own celestial counterpart.

I wasn't as clear as I wished to be upon explaining this idea...what I was suggesting is that the leonine constellation Leo might be have been regarded as the other sphinx; the costellation Leo might be large enough to be companions with the terrestrial sphinx, eh? (sarcasm).

Trouble is, the Egyptians didn't see Leo as a constellation of a lion. It was part of another constellation that they thought resembled a crocodile.

The constellations we identify come from Greek star maps and don't relate to the way that other cultures saw the sky.

Here's a good basic reference on Egyptian astronomy:
www.egyptologyonline.com...

Here's part of the sky from the Seti I tomb:
www.ancient-egypt.org...

And some really neat references on Egyptian astronomy:
touregypt.net...

www.touregypt.net...

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
"Furthermore, canines weren't THAT important. Anubis grew in importance, but was not the chief of the gods and was never the most important in the pantheon. "

I agree....but the sphinx pre dates Anubis and Egyptians

and the sirius tri-star/masonic connection is obvious beyond the dogon's.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RIAANDRY
I agree....but the sphinx pre dates Anubis and Egyptians

No it doesn't. The style of the headdress proves this. The white crown and red crown came first (and the older statues are carved with these crowns):
www.ancientegypt.co.uk...

The Nemes (headdress) comes later
www.crystalinks.com...

and the sirius tri-star/masonic connection is obvious beyond the dogon's.

Well, Sirius is a BINARY star system; not trinary. That kinda whacks the connection.
www.solstation.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join