It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget the cave! Neanderthals were homely creatures who built their own houses from mammoth bones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Forget the cave! Neanderthals were homely creatures who built their own houses from mammoth bones

* Oldest example of domestic 'house' built from bone
* 44,000 year old house had 25 hearths
* Proves Neanderthals were not primitive nomads
* Neanderthals could anticipate changing seasons

The "house" found, sorry no image...

The circular house was made up of 116 large bones including mammoth skulls, jaws, 14 tusks and leg bones.

Forget the cave! Neanderthals...

Read this and thought it was share worthy. Once thought to be fully primitive, may in fact have built the first homes, among other things just being discovered.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is an interesting claim and I'd love to read the article. So where's your source?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RatoAstuto
This is an interesting claim and I'd love to read the article. So where's your source?

The link is below the article. Here it is again, enjoy!
Link to article

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
now by homely , do you mean ugly?

Because that they were, altho, i suppose to them i might be pretty "homely" too

Its amazing how much we learn about past peoples as the years go by, and at an accelerated pace...

What a great time we live in to be able to see the history books rewritten at such a rapid pace

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Oh sorry bud, didn't realize that line was emboldened. A long day and a couple whiskeys will do that

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ok, read the article. I'll look more into it because they didn't make clear how they know neanderthals built the structure. I assume they found neanderthal bones somewhere nearby, but you know what they say about assuming

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I've just read(ATS search) that they wore makeup too, haven't read that before... research has come a long way just this year or so on finding out about them.

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Article title, not mine (lol) means homely as in homes. But could go both ways for them!

reply to post by dreamingawake

Oh sorry bud, didn't realize that line was emboldened. A long day and a couple whiskeys will do that

Not a prob, kinda know how ya feel...I've been having long days but no booze!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Ok, read the article. I'll look more into it because they didn't make clear how they know neanderthals built the structure. I assume they found neanderthal bones somewhere nearby, but you know what they say about assuming

And inside at least 25 hearths filled with ash were also found, suggesting it had been used for some time.

Source(main article)

Just vaguely mentions about it, claims they found the above inside, so must be a structure. I agree though, looking for images or more info.

Q

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hrm...

44KYA, Eastern Ukraine...

This may have potentially been a Denisovan house.

I know the article is attributing it to Neanderthals, but I didn't see that they had any real proof of such.

Still, it's certainly not inconceivable that the Denisovans ranged this far northwest.

The article was a bit fuzzy on detail.

Still, very exciting stuff!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Funny, the Brits use the word 'homely' to describe what we would call 'homey'. Whereas we colonials use the word to describe one who is is plain or unattractive looking. And yes...could go either way here, I suppose. Mind you, that is a homo sapiens sapiens-centric comment, isn't it?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Great find. Look forward to seeing an expanse on this subject.

I often feel that many of our ancestors were a lot more intelligent than previously thought. You'd have to be in order to roam this place.

They buried their dead and showed signs of religious beliefs. They were once thought to be big dumb beasty people, but the more we learn the more we see they were quite advanced for their time and fascinating.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Funny, the Brits use the word 'homely' to describe what we would call 'homey'. Whereas we colonials use the word to describe one who is is plain or unattractive looking. And yes...could go either way here, I suppose. Mind you, that is a homo sapiens sapiens-centric comment, isn't it?

Ummm, the word is actually homely in the US and UK and means the same thing... A homey is the vato down the street.
edit on 20-12-2011 by AngryAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Kids today always spray paint under bridges, are they apes now? Nope even if they act like one, it is just man's nature to draw and make markings in the ground no evidence they live in caves or under bridges.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryAlien

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Ummm, the word is actually homely in the US and UK and means the same thing... A homey is the vato down the street.

Thanks for the update...certainly we speak a different version of the Queen's English in Ontario...and back to the OP.

new topics

top topics

join