It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! I dont want to be a 'Sheeple' anymore, how can I change!?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If you made it this far,
most likely you had a thought of
? after reading that title. Good! You are welcome.

Now that you are here:

We all see the term 'sheeple' here and there, and I for one get a mild chuckle when I come across an appropriate use. But what/who IS a 'sheeple'? Sure, we all have our own opinion of its definition, but what would be a solid, common known thought of the term?

So as I search for a related topic before starting this thread (a good practice some need to review....
), I came across one where the OP goes on a mild rant about the term 'sheeple' and its implicating laziness. Sheeple

"But, the “sheeple” thing has come to sound just plain lazy and a throw-away altogether." quote sokpuppet

So it seems to me, there is a lack of 'common-ness' in the understanding of 'sheeple'. I think this could be an enjoyable yet informative discussion. So, this is a 2 part question for youz all to ponder over:

1. If you had to BRIEFLY explain to someone who has never heard the term, 'sheeple', what would you say?

2. THEN, how would you aid them to not become/break away from the flock?

Image Source

To me, I have no real definition for 'sheeple', I just know em when I seez them!

Baaaaaaa

(edit: The thread title is not a direct question from myself, more of a conversation starter....)
edit on 19/12/11 by ThatGuy45 because: edit to clearify...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

If you do not want to classify as a sheeple, you pretty much have to come to the realization that all of the news networks around us and the government are full of crap and are just trying to mess with the brains of the general population.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Sheeple or zombies.
Take your pick. Of the majority of the people I deal with on a daily basis, those are my two classifications of people at the moment.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
To me, it's just a word that people use to describe what they think is inferior to them, of course we're all nuts.
This word sheeple means absolutely nothing to me.
My mummy always said that sticks and stones may hurt my bones but words will never hurt me.
The word only has momentum because you give it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I propose that the use of "Sheeple" in any post on ATS should be a violation of the T&C's, and henceforth, any member caught using said word should be banned from the interwebs for life!

Starting........................................ now.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I have a friend who believes that the government is completely telling the truth and sometimes when we talk about certain things it is hilarious because I always ask myself how he is so blinded by the MSM. It is scary! The human mind is very sensitive to manipulation and it is crazy how people just swallow everything they are told. It upsets me that more than half of the American population actually believes that everything the government is telling them is true. It is sickening.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I always took it to mean people that follow the group (heard) like sheep. I thought it was self explanatory. To me its just another in a long list of words the internet created...like chillax or fugly..Our grandchildren will one day judge us for our strange lingo. Only a matter of time before they add this to a dictonary...like ''meatspace'' (sadly yes this has indeed been added)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

so your saying half of the USA are 'sheeple'... I can believe it.

Besides, according to South Park (the show on comedy central) "1/4 of the population is retarded"

:shk:
edit on 19/12/11 by ThatGuy45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
To me, the term "sheeple" is synonymous with "MSM watching, unquestioning people who are too closed-minded to even consider their government, much less their precious Fox News, would ever lie to them." I think that about sums it up.

Really it goes deeper than that. But I mainly think of people who are too "BUSY" to question the status-quo. Those who are afraid to rock the boat by entertaining "difficult" ideas. And I agree that some of these ideas are hard to digest, but doing so is better than living a lie. Well, maybe not, but it is the "right" thing to do.

And what are these people "busy" with? Being, as I said, interested in almost nothing but their personal lives, buying things, etc...The government has learned a long time ago that people are happy when they have their basic necessities, and can go out and have fun and buy things. If there is a problem that doesn't affect them directly, then they aren't interested in it one bit.

Of course they may think about it for a minute or so IF it gets a mention on the news, but most of the important things don't cross their minds. They also like to go around and parrot their MSM channel of choice, whenever a political or cultural question arises. These "pundits" know, or rather those who put them on the air know, the exact nature of human behavior, and that they can literally control the masses with their words.

Sheeple do not realize this. It is "unthinkable" to them. So for me, this about sums it up. There may be some things I missed, but I think everyone gets the main idea.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished

If you do not want to classify as a sheeple, you pretty much have to come to the realization that all of the news networks around us and the government are full of crap and are just trying to mess with the brains of the general population.

Or you could not use a term like "sheeple"

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Grow teeth.

Bite the herder.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think the proper definition of sheeple is - a person that chooses ignorance over the process of finding truth, or someone that chooses to be unaware of reality.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
I propose that the use of "Sheeple" in any post on ATS should be a violation of the T&C's, and henceforth, any member caught using said word should be banned from the interwebs for life!

Starting........................................ now.

It seems there is an obvious divide on those who use the word and those who would like to see its end.
Neither side right or wrong, just an interesting observation.

Oh, and banning it would be a violation of free speech! :p

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
To me sheeple to me is not ment as a derogatory term. It's only an accurate way discribe people who go along with "The Officail Story" with out question. I'm not saying "The Official Story", what ever it might pertain to, is wrong, not at all. What I'm saying is it's healthy to question the info that is fed to us.
edit on 19-12-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
To me sheeple to me is not ment as a derogatory term. It's only an accurate way discribe people who go along with "The Officail Story" with out question. I'm not saying "The Official Story", what ever it might pertain to, is wrong, not at all. What I'm saying is it's healthy to question the info that is fed to us.
edit on 19-12-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

You ever think about it this way? If people agree with the official story (not telling anyone otherwise) and they do so because it is of benefit to them (personal,professional,socially..) well...

They aren't sheeple then. Then are the opposite. Wolves?

Hmm...

Who's dumb-downed more, the person who thinks everyone is dumb or the person who pretends they are?

edit on 19-12-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Interesting take. But in no means am I calling sheeple dumb. But yes, I deffinatly agree with you about the people taking advantage of the situation for personal gain. I have no probleme with that as long as they don't maliciously take someone down to prop themselves up.
edit on 20-12-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
"SHEEPLE NATION, HEAR ME ROAR... FEAR THE WRATH OF THE UPCOMING WAR!!!!!"

Quote: Myself

Why?:

1.Because I can

2. Its my Thread

3....Why not? Better to be prepared than left behind....

.....then you cant say I didn't warn ya.....

Happy new year!

ThatGuy45

(P.S. its just a feeling I have - no evidence - Puuuure Speculation)
edit on 2/1/12 by ThatGuy45 because: Tread - Lightly

top topics

join