It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do with $1000 to be all-around prepared for economic collapse

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Lets face it, $1000 is not a lot so I suspect you are looking to get through an emergency situation only lasting weeks to a few months.

First: How many people are you to provide for? That is important.

Next: Think about your space and where you are going to store your supplies. I have quickly learned that space seems to vaporize once you cross the threshold of prepper

Here is a start:
SALT: Its cheap, buy 10 pounds per person
Sugar 25 pounds
Honey 12 pounds
Salmon in cans: 2 servings per person each can about 2 bucks
Tuna in OIL
Vienna sausages
SPAM
Chicken in cans
Canned PUMPKIN
Large jars of peanut butter
Box of cocoa
Dehydrated apples (honeyville)
Powdered milk in cases: I go with Honeyville brand its the best tasting!! I have tried many brands.
Wheat: Go for the wheat berries sold by the case from LDS, they are only 28 bucks for 30 pounds, you need many cases per person
A large Thermos: You take a cup of wheat berries and 1 cup hot water, put in thermos let set overnight. Open and add some honey or sugar and enjoy the cereal. You will survive!
Rice: Same thing, LDS is about 30 bucks a case... These are designed for up to 30 yrs storage
Beans: I bought cases but they take such large amounts of water.....I suggest also buying them in the cans! They can stay good 8 years from exp date. Get black beans, kidney beans and black eyed peas for nutrition
Get a solar oven
Yeast packs
dutch oven
Ramen cases
Stock up on toothpaste: Here AIM is 87Cents a box get toothbrushes
Baking Soda
Stock up TANG
Buy bottled juices, large cans of fruit
Laundry soap to have on hand
Shampoo soap etc
Bleach a few gallons
BABY WIPES!! I buy these by the large packs..Instant shower

I also use lanterns with oil, get xtra wicks, extra packs of lighters!!
Tarps, paracord,
Bug Out Bag.....
Duct Tape
Aluminum Foil
WATER!!!
WATER FILTER this to me is The BEST, I love this one, www.katadyn.com...

BUY THE BOOK
SAS Survival Handbook: Teaches you everything you need to know about shelters, traps, how to clean animals etc..

BUY THE BOOK:The Ultimate Food Storage Cookbook!!!

If you dont know how to square foot garden: LEARN NOW!! Seed to Seed is all non gmo seeds
Learn how to build an outdoor oven to bake your own bread

Aluminum Trash Cans, build a cold shelter in your backyard in a pinch with these and a shovel

Buy some antibiotics, vitamins, vitamin c etc....

You may now have spent your $1000... Good Luck!!
edit on 21-12-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by AtlantisAgain

Buy cheese puffs and reese's cups, haha laugh but that stuff will never go bad and cheese and peanut butter have loads of protien

Well except ti's debateable if there is in fact cheese in cheese puffs.
edit on 19-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: add

How about Twinkies. Don't they actually have a HALF LIFE, rather than a shelf life.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
My first question is, what equipment do you already own, that can be "re-purposed" for survival, and thus save your one thousand dollars for other gear?

For instance:
-Do you own any garden tools? Especially a shovel. A shovel can be used to pry open a door, plant a garden, dig a car out of a snowdrift, or put out a fire. A rake can be used to thresh grain, rake food over the coals, catch fish, kill rats, or as a weapon.

-Do you own any home maintenance equipment, like a flashlight, matches and candles, etc? Those are survival goods that you don't need to pay for---you merely need to organize them for access in an emergency.

-Do you own any vehicle maintenance equipment; a jack can be used to open a locked door, or shore up a wall that is sagging after a flood. Do you have any other tools in your own vehicle or a work vehicle? A cell phone is survival gear, if your car breaks down.....

-Do you own sporting equipment that can double as survival gear? A tackle box often has pliers and knives, as well as fishing line that has a wide variety of uses.

-Do you own any professional equipment? Tool kits, work trucks, diagnostic equipment can all be repurposed if you think about secondary uses.

-Do you have access useful items or material, that you don't "own" in a legal sense, but could still expropriate in an emergency? Examples might be: crops in a field near your home, construction materials at a nearby jobsite, piles of timber felled by workmen cleaning out a brushy lot, or tools in the super's work-room in your apartment complex. Obviously, it is stealing if the owner still wants the item. But if they are dead, or have fled, then it becomes lost and abandoned property...

Only after a careful inventory of the above should you begin planning to spend the thousand dollars. Several critical items will have to be purchased unless you already own them.

Other posters have given some great advice. The only thing I would say is to diversify your efforts. By this I mean, instead of buying 3 firearms, I'd buy one, or maybe two, and try to pick them that would be general purpose. For instance, if I was buying one gun, it would be a .22lr rifle. They are cheap (less than 100 usd in a pawn shop, with no real paperwork), the ammunition is ubiquitous, and they are fairly quite and easy to learn. A second gun would be a 38 revolver. It is less deadly, but easier to clean, wont jam, and is much easier to hide than a semi-automatic (and usually weighs a lot less).

Likewise with food. If you have 80 dollars, then don't spend it all on 80 bucks worth of white rice. Buy some oil, some rice, some bullion cubes, some cloves of garlic. Then Add some cans of veg-all and an opener.

I'd look at water the same way. A 30-gallon plastic drum, with a pump; plus several 3-gallon jugs that you could actually carry away if you needed to, plus some water bottles. A diversified set of containers, in case one of your systems fails.

In your supplies, include what are currently considered to be time-wasters. A deck of cards, poker chips, some detective novels, a blank journal. Once you get off the grid, you suddenly regain whole hours of every day; it can come as quite a shock if you have to develop a personality apart from your iphone and facebook.

As far as preparations go, $1000, spent one time, is a LOT less useful than $20 a week stuffed in your sock drawer, and used every quarter to bring your game up to a higher level.

Likewise, "living into your prep" is better than spending money. Instead of just buying seeds, plant a garden now and grow your own seeds---that way you'll be truly prepared. Instead of buying 5 guns, buy a 22 rifle and become really proficient with it. By hunting with it, you gain proficiency, and can add some rabbit meat to the rice. You'll also get in shape through the exercise and fresh air of hunting, which will do you more good than a jar of vitamins ever could. And you'll learn the lay of the land, so you'll be ready and confident when you are hunting for survival.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
One thing I've discovered is bulk pancake mix, when it is labeled "complete." This means that no milk or eggs are required, and all you have to do is add water. You can get a 10 pound bag of Krusteaz complete pancake batter, plus 3 gallons of syrup, "enough for 270 pancakes" (!) and all for 20 bucks.

You can get a gas grill or camp stove, powered by a 3 gallon propane tank, that will cook all those pancakes while being "off the grid."

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Say what??

Epic hygiene fail....

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Say what??

Epic hygiene fail....

Have you ever lived through a hurricane? Lived without electricity for weeks on end? I assume NOT! Baby wipes are hygiene! What rock have you crawled out from under? Do you not have children? Baby wipes may not be antibacterial but they do help bathe.

At the hospital I work at, we had to use them for a day....So I would say the epic failure is your inability to comprehend the intention

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Say what??

Epic hygiene fail....

Have you ever lived through a hurricane? Lived without electricity for weeks on end? I assume NOT! Baby wipes are hygiene! What rock have you crawled out from under? Do you not have children? Baby wipes may not be antibacterial but they do help bathe.

At the hospital I work at, we had to use them for a day....So I would say the epic failure is your inability to comprehend the intention

You know normal people prefer just water.. And if thats not possible than they collect rainwater. But go on with your baby wipes.

And we bathe babies, too you know.
edit on 23-12-2011 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Its alright, you obviously don't get it, or had to live in my previous post situations. I HAVE!

What if in the SHTF scenario your precious water is reserved for cooking or drinking only, like the situation I have had to live through before. What if there is no rain in the forecast?

During Hurricane Floyd in 99 and Hurricane Irene this past August, red cross was driving around passing out baby wipes and other necessities.

Do you know that you can wipe your tail with the wipes? Especially if the water is out because of flooding, no toilets flushing.....

I am sorry for your ignorance

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Yeah I just don't like twinkies lol.
Seriously though dry Beans, rice, amaranth and regular (stone wheat is the best) flour, SUGAR AND COFFEE for me if I don't want to revert to my animalistic side, then again that may come in handy if I need to protect my home, but that's optional I guess (the coffee), definately some oats and raisins craisns and nuts and powdered milk. I have all kinds of weapons so don't need to buy that, maybe a generator so I could charge my tasers. That will cover it I think.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisAgain

Count on Not Staying in one Place for long. We will be on the run and hiding so a backpack with lightweight survival items. Plastic sheeting, cigarette lighters and matches, fishing line and a several large folding pocket knives with can openers. Being wet and cold can kill you pretty fast and if you have more stuff than you can carry, you will leave it behind anyway.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Lets face it, $1000 is not a lot so I suspect you are looking to get through an emergency situation only lasting weeks to a few months.

First: How many people are you to provide for? That is important.

Next: Think about your space and where you are going to store your supplies. I have quickly learned that space seems to vaporize once you cross the threshold of prepper

Here is a start:
SALT: Its cheap, buy 10 pounds per person
Sugar 25 pounds
Honey 12 pounds
Salmon in cans: 2 servings per person each can about 2 bucks
Tuna in OIL
Vienna sausages
SPAM
Chicken in cans
Canned PUMPKIN
Large jars of peanut butter
Box of cocoa
Dehydrated apples (honeyville)
Powdered milk in cases: I go with Honeyville brand its the best tasting!! I have tried many brands.
Wheat: Go for the wheat berries sold by the case from LDS, they are only 28 bucks for 30 pounds, you need many cases per person
A large Thermos: You take a cup of wheat berries and 1 cup hot water, put in thermos let set overnight. Open and add some honey or sugar and enjoy the cereal. You will survive!
Rice: Same thing, LDS is about 30 bucks a case... These are designed for up to 30 yrs storage
Beans: I bought cases but they take such large amounts of water.....I suggest also buying them in the cans! They can stay good 8 years from exp date. Get black beans, kidney beans and black eyed peas for nutrition
Get a solar oven
Yeast packs
dutch oven
Ramen cases
Stock up on toothpaste: Here AIM is 87Cents a box get toothbrushes
Baking Soda
Stock up TANG
Buy bottled juices, large cans of fruit
Laundry soap to have on hand
Shampoo soap etc
Bleach a few gallons

I also use lanterns with oil, get xtra wicks, extra packs of lighters!!
Tarps, paracord,
Bug Out Bag.....
Duct Tape
Aluminum Foil
WATER!!!
WATER FILTER this to me is The BEST, I love this one, www.katadyn.com...

BUY THE BOOK
SAS Survival Handbook: Teaches you everything you need to know about shelters, traps, how to clean animals etc..

BUY THE BOOK:The Ultimate Food Storage Cookbook!!!

If you dont know how to square foot garden: LEARN NOW!! Seed to Seed is all non gmo seeds
Learn how to build an outdoor oven to bake your own bread

Aluminum Trash Cans, build a cold shelter in your backyard in a pinch with these and a shovel

Buy some antibiotics, vitamins, vitamin c etc....

You may now have spent your $1000... Good Luck!!

Good Luck to YOU trying to carry all this stuff. Dont forget your semi-truck with stealth mode abilities.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ludshed

The Argentina site was really good for anyone interested in how things would really end up.
What I think most people don't realize is that if an economic collapse happens, or any other type of event, that doesn't mean that all of a sudden it's going to be every person for himself.

If this were to happen, I think you would really see how people can come together and form self sufficient communities without the government.

But I digress. This is ATS and I should be saying that you should buy guns to fend off the horde of savages that will be at your doorstep 24/7.

Argentina barter system prior to 2001 economic collapse

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
200 pounds of whole kernel corn
200 pounds of beans
200 pounds of rice
10 canned hams
50 pounds of sugar
2 cases of evaporated milk
2 cases of canned chicken
2 cases of canned tuna
2 cases of canned crackers
1 gallon if hot sauce
1 gallon of soy sauce
1 gallon of honey
1 gallon lemon juice
2 pounds of Coco
2 pounds koseur salt and pepper
2 pounds garlic salt
2 pounds peanut butter
5 gallons olive oil
5 gallons peanut oil
2 pounds of tea
1 pound each of flavored bullion cubes

200 watt solar panel
2 250w gel car starters
1750w power inverter

1 scoped 22 cal rifle
1000 rounds hollow point

2 5 gallon water bags
water purifier

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
A good bicycle is something to consider. No gas required, quiet, and can carry a surprising amount of gear. We have one for each family member. A book and parts for repair would be good too.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
$1000 does not go very far with food storage and weapons acquisition. But you need two weeks of food and water storage and perhaps a cheap shotgun for self defense and killing food if in a rural area. Next is water purification as you wont last more than a week without water (they say 3 days but the time varies - temperature, water content in food, etc) but it is critical. If you are in a temperate zone you will need clothing for extreme conditions (rain poncho, outer coat for extreme cold)...these can be purchased used for cents on the dollar. Then I agree with the other posters regarding sustained food. You cant buy a cow or a bunch of bee hives but you can buy a half dozen chickens on the cheap. Also purchase seeds and plan to plant a sustainable garden in the spring.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join