It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do with $1000 to be all-around prepared for economic collapse

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisAgain

Buy cheese puffs and reese's cups, haha laugh but that stuff will never go bad and cheese and peanut butter have loads of protien

Well except ti's debateable if there is in fact cheese in cheese puffs.
edit on 19-12-2011 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
hm.. 1000 is not that much. It depends on where you live I guess . Make sure you are prepared to leave the city if living in a large city. Maybe a second-hand cheap motor bike (moped , the one you can also cycle when the petrol is done). Then I guess you would need the rest for the bug-out bag . Make sure you learn how to collect and use wild food, it is a LOT of it everywhere and can be used except nuclear disasters of course. As for defence , again it depends on where you live. In Europe I would invest in a good "functional sword" and a crossbow.
edit on 19-12-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I'd buy some seed, some chicken, a gun and some ammo.

Mostly, though, I'd buy lots and lots of books. You can study them, and when you think you've learned all you can, you can use them as easy kindling.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
First get a good gun. You can have all the food in the world but some one will take it from you. I might get flamed but if you have a gun you dont need to stock up on food take everyone elses. In a all out # storm it will be all for your self & family. ( me and my dogs)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by speeddr2000
First get a good gun. You can have all the food in the world but some one will take it from you. I might get flamed but if you have a gun you dont need to stock up on food take everyone elses. In a all out # storm it will be all for your self & family. ( me and my dogs)

well dont come by our place. you will be shot on site with that attitude.

We'll have a sign at the front gate saying Cannibal, thieves and criminals will be shot on site.

now if you were nice. you might get a can of soup and we will make you go on your way.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

If I had 1,000.00 to spend right now on survivalist items I would think food, medicine=antibiotics and pain relief and a generator. If I had to order them in number one importance it would be probably antibiotics/pain relief, generator and more ammo most likely. Can always get food where I'm at, plenty of wild game and fish. Although, if I had a generator I would have to have fuel or what's the point? And how long can you store it? Hot water would be such a luxury item, wouldn't it? I could always stock up on tobacco and alcohol and coffee for bartering.

A thousand bucks don't get you much, does it?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing as a few others here as far as alcohol, coffee and tobacco goes. But there are to many variables and unknowns. No One is or ever will be 100% prepared, to think so is probably the assumption that will get them killed. But I think your asking the wrong question or at least in the wrong place. I doubt any one here has seen SHTF. Some may think we have, but it can and usually will get a lot worse. I can think of a couple of places that might be able to give better answers than myself, such as shtfschool.com..., this guy is a balkan survivor, and ferfal.blogspot.com... from argentinas collapse. Might help with perspective to hear it from the horses mouths.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
well dont come by our place. you will be shot on site with that attitude.

We'll have a sign at the front gate saying Cannibal, thieves and criminals will be shot on site.

now if you were nice. you might get a can of soup and we will make you go on your way.

i under stand all that. How ever you can say that cause you have gun(s) thats why my first item would be a fire arm.

Quote didnt work sorry .
edit on 19-12-2011 by speeddr2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Another poster provided this link already. Please delete.

edit on 19-12-2011 by Templeton because: Keeping the boards clean

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
H&R 12 ga Shotgun 150.00
12 ga ammo 200.00
8 qts rot gut alcohol 80.00
tobacco 200.00
viable seeds 100.00
storable food 280.00

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

1000 worth of fish antibiotics as they are the same as people ones and will be worth more then gold when infections spread

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantisAgain
What would the best items be to buy now to prepare for dire times for $1000 (i'm not talking about sex tapes, lotto tickets, prostitutes, etc.).
I'm talking about the best all-around items such as food, supplies, special products, etc., etc. in order to maintain a nominal level of existence?
Thanks for all relevant answers...

9MM.......

Bullets.....

Food.......

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Don't discount the vice items, especially in hard times.
Seeing is how I'm pretty set on vice, I'd get what I normally do.
Tools and food, any tool whether it be hand or machine kitchen or garage.
And maybe a source of continuous power for those tools of power.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

If I had a 1000 to buy certain necessities they would probably be:

Canned Food and LOTS of it.
Toilet paper (Yep lmao)
Water purifier
Flashlight
Gun (just in case the wilderness decides to act up)
Winter clothes, especially a nice big jacket and some warm comfortable shoes that are very durable
A foldable tent that I could bring anywhere with me
Backpack
Fishing pole (just so I can have some fish just in case)

I am trying to think of other things but I am having crazy writer's block right now lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Why do people always say canned foods... since when were canned foods cheap? Dried foods are where it's at.

I would look into poultry you could rear, perhaps insects and the like(for eating, i imagine they reproduce very fast and they're good protein), some grow kits and seeds for growing food. For non-reusable food, if you were to "stock up" so to speak, the best websites are run for famine relief. There's many companies who are in the business of helping famine or disaster stricken people. Plenty of dried fruits and vegetables, very very cheap. I used to have a website bookmarked that I can no longer find, not because i'm anticipating the apocalypse, but just because of how bloody cheap everything was

A gun and a fishing rod would be must-haves too. As well as books on being self sufficient

I think most people could survive economic collapse, the real test would be defending yourself against other humans, unless you're fortunate enough to live in the hills I'm not sure how you could keep enemy citizens at bay

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by freakshowfatty

Where do you get fish antibiotics from?
Never heard of that, how do you know which fish antibiotics are compatible with humans?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

That's actually not a bad idea either.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Not so good idea. Unless you pay with cash.

If you go and place a big opred for reloading equipment guess which list your added to.

I would buy 4 hens for every faimly member.
By a water pump manually operated.
Start stocking fire wood. This is free.
Start purchasing canned goods everytime you go to the market. Canned peaches, potatoes, carrots, yams, ham.
Food dehydrator. This will be priceless. By a type which requires no electricity. By a book about dihydrating foods and start asap on your favorites.
By a ax hunting knife and a cross bow and as many bolts as you can afford and also purchase replacement stirnk for the bow. The more bolts/arrows you have the better you are.
I would also buy a cast iron pan some grilling baskets.
A rod for fishing and some hooks and spare line.

I could go on and on.
Firestarting equipment.
Start storing your dryer lint it is very good at kindling a fire.
I would also build a little storage shed to keep the supplies dry and wood dry and kindling wood dry.
Water is pretty much everywhere but you need to clean it with some dirt in a sock and then a way to boil it. Kettle.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Heritage seeds, water,. water purification, multivits, pasta, pulses, rice, tinned foods, firelighting tools, matches, disposable lighters (good for barter), medication/first aid.
Plenty of warm clothes and shoes/boots.
Plus being female - moisturizer!
edit on 20-12-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Don't discount the vice items, especially in hard times.
Seeing is how I'm pretty set on vice, I'd get what I normally do.
Tools and food, any tool whether it be hand or machine kitchen or garage.
And maybe a source of continuous power for those tools of power.

The vice items are very important. A little alcohol, a little cocoa, a little salt and spice. These things are cheap, easy to store, and as long as they are used sparingly they can provide a much needed morale boost during the worst of times.

Be sure to not overlook the small, cheap, durable comfort items.

Lots and lots of socks is another thing to keep in mind.

Lots and lots of plain, non-lubricated condoms can make great water bladders, tourniquets, or many other uses, and they are extremely cheap.

Find things that have multiple uses to maximize your investments and minimize your storage needs.

Great suggestion on the vice items though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join